Author Topic: EA bockers reputation  (Read 22579 times)

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
EA bockers reputation
« on: February 21, 2009, 07:58:11 PM »
Hey, I am sorry I have to post something like this. But hopefully something positive will come of it ;)

Bocking is a totally awesome sport, it’s a blank canvas and at the moment people don’t really judge us as they would skateboarders. I honestly never want us to be labeled and judged like that. For example “bockers=bad” I really want us to keep up a good reputation. I want bocking to be seen as positive instead of negative.

Today we have been banned from the forum. It’s a real loss, it was really good place to bock. I blame nobody. It was inevitable and building up but it’s happened. And thats it.

What I want to discuss is kinda the way we react to being banned and sorta general behaviour out and about.
As I said, bocking is a blank canvas and how we behave now will affect how we are seen forever. We really need to respect the people and areas we bock, if not we are going to get a negative label and I don’t think it is anything anybody wants.

I think as a group we need to be more careful and respectful. Today there were a couple of bad moments around the castle, particularly around the lifts. Damaging the ceilings and setting alarms of is a real sure way to get a negative label attached. We were lucky today but it is really really important that we keep a good reputation. So I really would like people to respect where they bock. For the reputation of all bockers.

How do we deal with getting banned? Today, we were banned from the forum. I am not sure if before today all the more important people there were aware of what we were doing. And now they know, on grounds of health and safety, we cant bock there anymore.

Now, here is how I see it. The forum is a great place, its a shame we cant bock there. I would love to bock there again. But if we now go back there and bock, without sorting anything else it is damaging our reputation. I spoke to the guy, and I was polite and reasonable, we have left there, with a minimal dent to our reputation. But say we were rude or were to go back there and bock it would be quite damaging. We were asked last meet not to flip there, and we did. Its ok. Again, inevitable but just to keep a good reputation I really hope that nobody bocks there, or at a meet goes there, crazes to go there. For now at least.

I am willing to email and try and get some kind of compromise.

Comments would be appreciated. I hope people see where I am coming from and come up with some ideas on what we should do about stuff like this and behave as a group.

:spudT:

Dark Knight

Re: EA bockers reputation
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 08:11:20 PM »
I wrote this sometime ago and sound like you followed it ?

http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1511.msg19041#msg19041

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 08:17:45 PM »
Well said spud.

Excuse my ignorance but how did u damage ceilings etc?
What exactly is the forum, who owns it and is there direct public access?

You could turn this all on its head, but it depends how you react now that makes the difference.
Could someone come and talk about this on radiobock tonight (via telephone or something?)

Dark Knight

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 08:22:49 PM »

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 08:24:11 PM »
Well said Spud, totally agree and as Locky said, how were the ceilings damaged?

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 08:26:17 PM »
Thanks Naz, Locky :)

There is a lift that goes from the mot area to the castle, the ceiling isnt very high, if you jump you smack the ceiling which is only made out of thin metal.

This is the forum:

I am not sure who owns it, but it is not the council. The library is inside it and it has both public access to both the outside and inside.

I understand it is really important to sort this out, and I think it could be turned around, its one of the reasons I made the thread. I dont think I have the experties but somebody might and really, its a group decision.

I can do radiobock if you want. I kinda know norwich well and spoke to security people and the person that banned us after but I might not be the best person.

Dark Knight

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 08:29:35 PM »
Well said Spud, totally agree and as Locky said, how were the ceilings damaged?
Was that in the lift ?

This has details on the Forum
http://www.theforumnorwich.co.uk/
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 08:35:54 PM by Dark Knight »

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 09:24:20 PM »
If it is private property the owners can take whatever decision they want to.

Most of the issues come from a health a safety prospective. people see the potential for problems and law suits from the general public. If your activity is not planned it will not have been risk assessed, this then also leaves the organisation liable if proven to be negligent in its actions and behaviours.

In most public places you will be questioned if you are considered to be a safety hazzard and have not cleared you being there with the right authorities.  Often this is done by someone with limited power and limited knowledge who is on site at the time.

I am not the font of all wisdom in legal or public law matters. So feel free to challenge.

The big issue seems to be perception of safety. This can only be removed by working with people in authority understanding thier concerns and educating them.

With regards to the forum it might be worth asking them if you can put on a bocking demonstration and agree a date so you can show that you are responsible. This will though require you to have some form of Public Liability Insurance. Normally up to £500k as individuals or a group.

One last point if the forum is privately owned and they charge for using it to advertise etc they will not be happy with bockers turning up and upstaging the paying clients.

Grow old disgracefully

Dark Knight

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 09:31:36 PM »
Sorry I should have pionted out my picture is form last year, there was nothing there this time.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 09:40:34 PM »
I had a bit of this with the south bank and it really boils down to the area you were in being owned or not

Areas or the south bank are owned by various companys/societys/etc and they can ask you to stop doing anything they don't like bar walking (if there is a right of way)

But other parts are council/rivers authority/public and so long as the police are ok so are you

The problems start with over enthusiastic security guards that don't know the bounderies

So you might find that they will tell you to move from a large area of pavement which is council controled when they have no right the trouble is finding out which bit is which

A good guideline is who repairs it and who maintains it but like everyone has said most times a polite retreat is the best policy

I normally ask the security guards where their juristriction ends and they usually walk to the boundery with you and then stand and watch you bounce and chat about bocks so long as you are off there turf

We are gonna get a lot more of this as not to be judgemental but bocking does tend to attract the more mischievious fraternity so some time things get out of hand

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 09:41:19 PM »
the springers are semi-banned form going along part of the river in kingston, it's a big residential thing with lots of old ladies or something, when we were there on wednesday someofficial guy came and told us we can go through, as long as we're quiet (which is fair, it's a big load of private property)

...and we've banned ourselves from bouncing on the round mozaic type bits in the concrete, they break easily, even though they're stone bricks >.<

could try and get permission to bock there for each meet? if it's that good of a place that is

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 09:55:04 PM »
Please don't get bnned form the moat. I know it's sad but it's one of my favourite places in the world!
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 09:57:30 PM »
I think you have made a really really important point. I really dont know anything about this stuff but I was aware that if we were to hurt somebody they could be sued. Thanks for clearing it up :)

I do think we can turn this around and one day go back there. I would love to go back there and actually try and resolve this but I am not sure who to talk to. And now, I dont think we would be able to go back without PLI. Can anybody give me information on PLI? Costs ect?

I spoke to locky on radiobock, and what he said actually seemed very useful. His suggestion was that we write to the council. With the arguement that the reason we bock at the forum is that it is fairly open and we feel it is a safe place and if we cant bock there then we would have to go somewhere else we that is not as safe. I actually cant remember too much about what locky said. But it was good, just a lot to take in.

Hmm, we are getting on very well with the police, and security guards too. It was the other people at the forum we had problems with unfortunately. But knowing where boundaries start and begin is going to be critical for us I feel.

Darf, I dont think seeking permission each meet would help, not unless we had some kind of insurance because it is on the grounds of safety, permission or not the risks are the same :(

Brendan, I will try not to get us banned from the moat. It is one of the reasons I made this thread ;)

Dark Knight

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 10:02:47 PM »

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 10:21:53 PM »
it really boils down to the area you were in being owned or not

The problems start with over enthusiastic security guards that don't know the bounderies

now thats the truth in a nutshell in a gold plated box!
i had the same problems while aggressive skating and mountain biking in birmingham, and on the of chance occasion even  on bocks.  
We are gonna get a lot more of this as not to be judgemental but bocking does tend to attract the more mischievious fraternity so some time things get out of hand

again i agree, but this leads to a deeper point i think, that although what spud is doing for her group and what a lot of people are trying to do for their groups or in their respective areas is wonderful.
To reflect on what naz has said a million times, the forum members in general are actually a minority compared to the amount of stilts that are sold.
So everyone here could be little cute puppy angels with butterfly wings and all the happiness in the cosmos and actually not make a dent on how our public image nationally is perceived.
i think the best we can do is what spud is doing.
make sure your groups favorite spots are bockable, because the owners/managers or security know your nice people and dont trash the place.
then meets can happen there and we can become a more public force for bocking spots being open.
thats coming form one of the people jason was talking about when he said "bocking does tend to attract the more mischievious fraternity"

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 10:41:55 PM »
PLI link  :Cbiggrin:
http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1787.0
Thanks DK, I was hoping I could get some better info on it tho and I was more thinking of group insurance.

again i agree, but this leads to a deeper point i think, that although what spud is doing for her group and what a lot of people are trying to do for their groups or in their respective areas is wonderful.
To reflect on what naz has said a million times, the forum members in general are actually a minority compared to the amount of stilts that are sold.
So everyone here could be little cute puppy angels with butterfly wings and all the happiness in the cosmos and actually not make a dent on how our public image nationally is perceived.
i think the best we can do is what spud is doing.
make sure your groups favorite spots are bockable, because the owners/managers or security know your nice people and dont trash the place.
then meets can happen there and we can become a more public force for bocking spots being open.
thats coming form one of the people jason was talking about when he said "bocking does tend to attract the more mischievious fraternity"

Thanks Nero. You are so right. I want bocking to have a positive image and groups/forum members really are the minority and are unlikely to behave how we do. Maybe with less thought. My aim is to 1) keep bocking a positive thing (little out of my control but my it doesnt make my effort worthless) 2)Keep the EA bockers reputation good (very possible)

East Anglia isnt the best place for bocking. Norwich is our best spot. I dont want us to lose it.

One thing tho. Although there are many bockers not on forums I think groups have a bigger impact on bocking reputation than single bockers do. Single bockers can be treated as individuals, groups are more representative and are judged as more of a community. Groups meet up in public areas, I am sure many individuals dont go beyond their garden. There were some more reasons I forgot. All I am saying is altho we are a minority our impact could be much bigger.

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 09:51:53 AM »
Spud Group insurance will cost you a minimum of £250 for up to 30 people . Ask to be quoted for £500k liability as this is what most Councils require of public space users.

This will cover you on any group meets that are organised. You just need to make sure all EA`s are members of a club.

Who to talk to : If the forum is privately owned then it needs to be the Centre manager.

With regards to public open spaces need to talk to Norwich council, I will PM the info or go to Active Norfolk website

Grow old disgracefully

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 09:57:19 AM »
Thanks Clive. I will check it out when I get home today and will read this too. I am in to much of a hurry to read properly, just letting you know I am not ignoring it :)

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 12:57:16 PM »
I dunno if its different here in wales but the people I have worked with want a minimum of £2million on the liability cover. Councils require £5mil.
We pay £350 and that covers 20 of us, though this year we're going to need a policy that covers more of us.

Thats with sportscoverdirect though I think its through their business side of things. Dont expect the PJ discount lol. It's easier to give them a call or email than try to find something on the website. They are an insurance company and they want your money lol.

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 01:00:31 PM »
I regularly speak to one of the guys their so if I can swing you a discount or get something in place I will... after all every little helps

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
  • KATIEE :D <3
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2009, 03:38:09 PM »
naz i fink tesco have tht saying in copyright :P

and wow u lot are rebels :P

warrington dnt give 2 flicks of a cows arse about safety :P

me and louis was bocking in town while it was full comps said to us hey they look fun and the security guard wanted a go :P people just watch u even if ur just jumping or standing or walking warrimgton is brill :P we have very nice places to bock too :P oh but not aloud in or near shops XD there worried about gettin mud on the floor of all things :P

i carnt spel... or maybe you cant read ;)

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2009, 04:25:10 PM »
oops slight brain fade make that wot locky says £5m
Grow old disgracefully

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2009, 08:18:11 PM »
Yep guys most PLI's are £5 mill now even for builders and model heli pilots  :Claugh:

Nero I would never class you as mischevious  :Claugh: just a little missunderstood  :Cbiggrin:

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Dark Knight

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2009, 08:24:06 PM »
I still can't get over the fact that after I left you then got banned ???

Offline Mini Ellis

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Mini Ellis <3 Greggles
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2009, 08:51:12 PM »
Dk, why did u leave so early ?