Author Topic: Laptop Help Please  (Read 4953 times)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
Laptop Help Please
« on: March 10, 2009, 10:05:56 PM »
Bit of a plea for help here guys anyone have one or more of these Laptops and are you happy/unhappy with them

Medion Akoya E5312 15.4in
Fujitsu-Siemens Esprimo Mobile V5535 15.4in 
Asus X58C 15.4in

I am thinking of buying one of the above and wanted to know if they are any good or real lemons

Thanks in advance Folks

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Paul-Self

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
    • EA Bockers
Re: Laptop Help Please
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 10:07:34 PM »
working in retail and selling a few laptops the amount of Asus laptops / notebooks we have come back you would not believe ! 1 in 3 that we sell come back with various problems most of the times keys coming off / not working and various software issues!

sold medion when i worked at woolies never had many issues with them to be honest!

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 10:33:04 PM »
not a clue about those laptops, but my 3, maybe 4 year old el cheapo novatech is still keeping up with stuff...just about, just added another 1GB of ram and 160GB of hard drive to the back(using duct tape XD)

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 10:42:33 PM »
Medion are good quality, my last laptop was medion and survived multiple dropages, water spillages, and various other bumps and bangs. My PC is a medion and is 8 years old, still going strong and running smoothly (ish)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 11:09:19 PM »
Thanks Guys I had almost decided on the Medion as it is a lot faster for the same money

Comet had a Fujitsu siemens that was unbelievable 2ghz core 2 duo 3gb mem and lots extras (refurbished) for £279 but guess what they don't have any in stock and looks like they won't in the foreseeable future  :Claugh: Typical

So think it's the Medion

Offline Ghost Rider

• Bikes , boozes , bocks
  • ?
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 10:24:59 AM »
Has with a lot of retail advertisements, it is always a great deal when they have none is stock.
Which ever laptop you end up buying you will always find a better deal 4 weeks later.
This topic will look very silly in six months time when people wonder why you would even think of getting that one !

Offline Springer

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 10:29:41 PM »
I wouldn't recommend an asus - I have an eeepc and whilst it's nice and small, my alt key has fallen off and so has the little gummy bit so I have no method of putting it back on because I have no idea where it went :Cmad:
Also my internet is rather temperamental, sometimes it just refuses to connect even when all the other computers in the house are fine.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 10:50:47 PM »
Thanks for all the advice folks

I went with the Medion and it arrived today

First impressions are it is a super bit of kit, not sure about Vista yet  :Claugh:old dog new tricks  :Cbiggrin: but at least I got premium with it not basic

Lots of bits I didn't expect for the price and the closest match spec wise I could find anywhere else was about £150 dearer so all in all I am one happy bunny  :Cbiggrin:

Offline Paul-Self

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 10:58:02 PM »
awesome glad to hear it mate will you be making an appearence tomorrow?

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 11:07:10 PM »
vista: premium is standard, basic doesn't even have the shiny aero effects

i say stick with xp till 7 is released properly, tried vista ultimate 64 on my laptop (1.7GHz 2GB ram etc etc) and it runs like a pile of doggy doodoo, even though the whole laptop is 'optimised for vista'

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 11:27:08 PM »
I'm gonna get a new desktop when 7 is released. i dont wanna get stuck with vista...and I want some shiny stuff. But not if its rubbish :D

Vista=epic fail

Offline Trip

• EA Bocker
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 11:37:12 PM »
Go Apple like me spudy.. Vista = pile of poo!

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 11:53:09 PM »
I need both really lol :D I really need an editing machine...final cut pro..yummmm! One day maybe...I keep meaning to put the money I earn from my freelance stuff back into it so I have better kit..but then i go and buy new springs and stuffs :D Silly me :P

Offline Trip

• EA Bocker
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 12:17:42 AM »
Naa Spud you've got talent, it don't matter what you've got, remember you can still write a great song on the s**tiest guitar in the world.. Hmm thats my deep and meaningfull bit over.  :Ctongue:

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 12:24:30 AM »
LOL, bless ya! Deep and meaningful :D but let's be honest...It does help and make it easier if you can actually play the footage properly :D

:spudT:

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 12:28:31 AM »
i say stick with xp till 7 is released properly, tried vista ultimate 64 on my laptop (1.7GHz 2GB ram etc etc) and it runs like a pile of doggy doodoo, even though the whole laptop is 'optimised for vista'
Ultimate 64 on a laptop is suicide, especially with those specs. You're looking at least 4Gb Ram and a quad core processor to get Ultimate 64 going smoothly, and an "optimised for vista" sticker means "This laptop will run Home Premium at a push"

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 01:02:41 AM »
Ultimate 64 on a laptop is suicide, especially with those specs. You're looking at least 4Gb Ram and a quad core processor to get Ultimate 64 going smoothly, and an "optimised for vista" sticker means "This laptop will run Home Premium at a push"

heh well i recently upgraded to ubuntu intrepid.amd64 (newest one if you don't speak linux) , and decked it out with all the ram hogging features i could find, so thought i'd try a 64 windows, xp.64 is total rubbish, and couldn't get hold of a working 7 disc, just kept crashing all the time, vista lasted about 6 hours on my laptop, ram usage never went over 50% though, which was kind of shocking
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 01:06:05 AM by darfgarf »

Offline _louis_

• Lofty
    • Free Online Laughs
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 11:08:18 AM »
Vista = pile of poo!
Vista=epic fail

Actually i thought vista was better than XP when i used it. Apparently on good computers vista performs better than XP.
But on any computer windows 7 always wins :Claugh:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3236&page=2

I'm using the windows 7 x64 beta now if anyones interested and it is actually pretty stable and faster than vista or XP
My system:
AMD phenom quad core 9950BE (overclocked)
4Gb DDR2 ram
ATI radeon x1950 pro