Author Topic: A few questions about getting into this  (Read 4363 times)

Offline Boompa

A few questions about getting into this
« on: March 25, 2009, 09:39:50 PM »
I am 20 years old, 140ish pounds and 6'3" and don't know what brand or model of power bockers to get. I plan on gaining weight eventually, so I was looking at the Powerisers 154lb+ model. So what I would like to know:

What is the best brand? (I was looking at the $300 powerisers on the spinsterz.com)
How long would it take a total newbie to learn how to run? Is it easy to balance?
If I am not quite in the weight range, will they not work? I think fully clothed I am about 150 lbs.
Do towns tend to have laws saying you can't wear these in certain areas? I have never seen anyone with these and I'm from a small town in NH so I don't know.

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
Re: A few questions about getting into this
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 09:44:52 PM »
well the first tihngs first
wight - it is better to have some bocks that are about 10kg (22lb) more than you waigh.
brand - skip's are the best but the cost quite a bit
time to learn, it all depends on you, some people are running with in a few hours.
as far as i am aware there is no law saying you can not bock, but if it is privite propity they may ask you to leave

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
  • KATIEE :D <3
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 09:50:40 PM »
ye as toddy says allways get 10kg (22lb) past ur weight tat way it gives u better bouncy bouncy :P

for a newbie i wudnt buy skips really they cost a bomb id get poweriZers i fink its the Z's that are the cheaper ones or like u say fropm that website they look alright but dont buy really expensive ones for your first ever bocks because if u dont like them then u just threw alot of money down the pan :P

i carnt spel... or maybe you cant read ;)

Offline Boompa

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 09:55:53 PM »
Alright, so what would be a good online store to buy them from? I'm looking to spend around 300 dollars and it doesn't seem as if there are any official sites....

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 09:57:36 PM »
well tbh we would not know that much as we have got projump as most of us are in the uk

i think if you ask sprog nicely he may tell you, just pm him and see what he say's

Offline XS

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 10:17:28 PM »
Hey i'm from Boston, MA, idk how US people end up here, but its been happening a lot recently.  I do most of the organizing for the New England Bockers, we're mostly boston based but there are bockers all over new england, check out nebockers.com, still under construction but you can hop on the forum there and we can give you a try on some bocks if you can get to boston, or give you the right advise on what's available in the US if you can't.

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
  • KATIEE :D <3
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 11:59:51 PM »
lol i like that new england :P

tryna take over our england u americans steal all our ideas XD BACK!! back i say :P

i like ur name :Cerr: XS its like a crossed eyed man thats confused :P

i carnt spel... or maybe you cant read ;)

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 12:15:51 AM »
It's short for XarnuSonci

Offline Boompa

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 05:06:01 AM »
Ok.... so I've narrowed it down to PoweriSers and Air Trekkers because they are both in my price range and ship in the US, but does anyone know of a quality difference between the 2?

EDIT: I guess PowerStriders are supposed to be good too? AirTrekkers are cheapest and probably worst?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 06:29:56 AM by Boompa »

Offline Bexx

• I need a bock
  • EA Bocker
  • I'VE MOVED!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 11:13:58 AM »
Hey there boompa!

have a look at this website: http://www.getjumpingstilts.com/posppa.html

Ive been drooling over these, but they dont post to the uk which is crap. If i lived in the states Id buy these as the are exactly the same as projumps and you get all the saftey gear/carry case with it ... I know that its a 100$ over your budget, but i recekon its well worth the moneys as your getting all you need in that one package.

oh and dont worry about 'if you can use them or not'  I had my first go on some projumps last saturday (21st) and i was walking within 5 mins (you can ask toddy) and i cant stride as of yet, but i can kinda 'skip' fast ... i wore them for like 4 hours solid, and i got so used to them that they felt just like leg extensions ... it just felt natural! :)

just remember you can stay still- you gotta keep moving on them ....

hope this helped!  :Cwink:

Bexx

------------------------------------
No-Longer down south :(  I will miss london -- but I will be back, oh yes

Offline XS

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 02:25:19 PM »
Ok.... so I've narrowed it down to PoweriSers and Air Trekkers because they are both in my price range and ship in the US, but does anyone know of a quality difference between the 2?

EDIT: I guess PowerStriders are supposed to be good too? AirTrekkers are cheapest and probably worst?

Air trekkers and PowerStriders are exactly the same, come from the same factory, as to the ProJumps sold here.  So if you're gonna get one of them get the cheapest, no reason to pay more for the same thing.

Offline ConfusedMind13

• Rise of the Bockernauts
    • Bockernauts
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 04:05:52 PM »
Hey Boompa, im from Michigan, and me and my buddy both bought air trekkers. They are good quality, we both love them. He has the basic model, i have the extreme model. If possible, get the extreme, its totally worth the 90 extra bucks for the pro cuff and better bindings. Easier and faster to get on and off of. I weigh about 165 pounds, and bought the 200-220 pound weight class. Thats 2 and half sizes higher than me. They are stiff, but im slowly getting used to them and the more i use it, the less stiff they seem. I would recommend buyin one up, not two, cuz its tricky to get used to. But buy at least one higher. Both me and my buddy both love our trekkers.

O yea, i purchased mine on Ebay brand new from the factory with one year warranty.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 04:48:21 PM by ConfusedMind13 »
Hard 'n Fruity NOW
Soft 'n Chewy LATER

Offline Boompa

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 05:13:32 PM »
Thanks for the link Bexx! That looks like a pretty good deal considering I need to buy all the safety equipment. The Air Trekkers website also has a similar thing with the Extreme like CM recommended and free pads (doesn't say what type/quality/size of pads which is iffy to me) here http://www.air-trekkers.com/air-trekkers-c-1/extreme-air-trekkers-free-pad-set-p-82

Hm.... decisions

Offline ConfusedMind13

• Bockernauts
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 05:27:24 PM »
The pads you get with it arent anything special. But you probably already knew this because they are free. They wrist guards are wrist guards, except the plastic piece inside wiggles up and down. The elbow and knee pads they give you are the same, so its like 4 of the same pads. They are very light, but i mean pads are pads, theyll do the job for now, you can always wear em, and if ya dont like em, get some new ones down the road. Free pads are free pads  :Ctongue: I would honestly go with the Trekkers Extreme. Its the same model used in the olympic ceremonies. And one year warranty on all parts except the foot pads. If anything breaks within the year, theylll fix it. ya cant go wrong with that. Youll love em, trust me.  :Cyes:

I can hook you up with a picture of the pads if thatll help any, i dunno if it will or not, but if ya want one i can take one.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 05:29:15 PM by ConfusedMind13 »
Hard 'n Fruity NOW
Soft 'n Chewy LATER

Offline Boompa

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 05:57:40 PM »
That would be great! So that is the store you used through ebay?

Offline ConfusedMind13

• Bockernauts
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 07:40:12 PM »
The store i used through ebay was www.oceanbluediscounters.com i would recommend that, really fast shipping and all the goodies.
Hard 'n Fruity NOW
Soft 'n Chewy LATER