Author Topic: A Few Questions & An Intro  (Read 4950 times)

Offline mark.ormo

A Few Questions & An Intro
« on: March 27, 2009, 12:58:50 AM »
Hi,

Hopefully I should be buying my first Pro-Jumps within a month or two (just waiting for some wages). I thought I'd introduce myself and ask a couple of questions. I'm Mark, 15, from Coventry. If anyone else in and around Coventry bocks (I've never seen anyone) it would be pretty cool to meet up some time with some mates of mine. And now the questions...

* What weight rating should I go for? I'm currently about 72kg but I will probably get heavier in the next couple of years. I was thinking M90s or M100s.

* Does anyone know of any good places in Coventry to practise? I think Allesley Park would be pretty good but I'm stumped for other ideas.

* Does anyone know of a good supplier of the relevant safety gear that isn't too expensive?

Thanks a million, I can't wait to get out and about with my bocks!

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
Re: A Few Questions & An Intro
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 01:29:27 AM »
Hey there & Welcome to the forum :)

* What weight rating should I go for? I'm currently about 72kg but I will probably get heavier in the next couple of years. I was thinking M90s or M100s.

If you have like a sporty or gymnastic background then I would say you could go for the M90's, they will be tough to begin with but in the long run would be better for you. However I would not recommend going any higher esp as you are a beginner.

If you aren't from a sporty background, then I would say stick with M80's as the springs are already a slightly stiffer than the original ones and you will find the M90's too much hard work. (Ask Kiwi about buying tooo stiff springs!)

* Does anyone know of any good places in Coventry to practise? I think Allesley Park would be pretty good but I'm stumped for other ideas.

Get in touch with forum member Becky as she was there for a while and could tell you where the best spots are and who is local to you!

* Does anyone know of a good supplier of the relevant safety gear that isn't too expensive?

Hopefully in a month we should have our safety gear back in stock, if not then just its recommended you have a minimum of wrist guards, knee & elbow pads (Knee / Shin pads work well! Theres a few threads on this in the FAQ section as well you can read through :)

Actually there's a few links in my sig that will help you too :thumbs:

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
  • KATIEE :D <3
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 01:33:48 AM »
yep i was gonna say what naz just said honest i was  :Crolleyes:

naz im jelous of ur sig its betta than mine :P

i carnt spel... or maybe you cant read ;)

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 01:42:06 AM »
If you aren't from a sporty background, then I would say stick with M80's as the springs are already a slightly stiffer than the original ones and you will find the M90's too much hard work. (Ask Kiwi about buying tooo stiff springs!)
Thats actually a really good point. I know so many that went 20+ over the weight and it just slows progress so much. Its hard tho..if you get the right weight springs (about 10kg) you will probably progress pretty fast..then people think that getting the softer ones was a waste. But learning on stiff springs is so much harder..you wouldn't have the same rate of progression. It's a tough call I think. Its different for each person.

:spudT:

Offline Kiwi

• *boop*
    • My Twitter!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 01:53:59 AM »
did i hear stiff springs??? ooh my , i think you might wanna grab a cuppa before i begin...

oh and ill have a hot chocolate while ur making some xD

back yet?

good, allright here i start: i was EXACTLY the same as urself (tho im 19). i have a hyperactive background and i do consider myself slighty overweight but fit non the less. i currently weight 68kg and bought M90's thinking : yes im gonna get stronger, im gonna get fitter and ill be able to work them and get major hight.. trust me they are stiffer than you expect them to be... i was a n00b when i got them to and it just really did not work out well.... even tho i was stomping hard for a jump i got no higher than a foot off the ground and that was after 6 hours of trying. i kept at it thinking maybe i just dont have the right tecnique or something, truth be was i was just not strong enough, heavy enough or skilled enough to make full useage of the stiffness.... or compress them even.

take my word for it even if you are good on a tramp go for m80's, that way you can get a good start and then when ur bottoming the 80's out buy new 90's springs and sell the old ones... u will at least have good experience with bocks and know the right way to use em.

once i got fed up ( after about a month and a bit of trying to tame the 90's ) i bought 80's springs and as soon as i fitted them in the frame, i was jumping three quarters of a meter within minutes. now i know how to jump the right way on bocks, i think that if i put the 90's back in i can get more than a foot. lol.

dont make the mistake i did you will regret it... i know i did.. had to spend 75 quid more than i needed to. im keeping the 90's tho for future :D

hope this helps... most people on the forum know this story and couple of people have tried to help me, i.e. Clive, Glasto, the springers gang...

coventry huh... thats really near b'ham... i think there are a couple of people up in brum if ur willing to go there. ill let you know once i get names..

P.s Welcome to the forum hun.

Kiwi :banana:

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 10:16:53 AM »
you're such a drama queen kiwi :P

you can live with stupidly strong springs, not really a good idea though, i'm 60Kg, using 70-90kg springs atm, and bottoming them if i want, just before christmas i was managing to use 90-120Kg springs quite well, it all depends on technique, but that takes time to build up, along with the extra muscle needed, so don't go for anything too stiff at once

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 10:24:51 AM »
your a lucky dude, sky highs Dynamo/ferret and melvin are in coventry, and becky aint far from covs when shes at uni, but i think this is her last year.
ill pm you my msn if you wanna get in touch

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Offline mark.ormo

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 09:45:54 PM »
Hi guys,

Thanks for the great responses... they just make me want to get them sooner! I might go with the M80s then - does anyone know roughly how long it takes when you pre-order a set of Pro-Jumps?

Nero: Yeah that'd be great, it would be pretty cool to meet up with a few of you

Thanks again guys... Can't wait to get them :D

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 12:19:59 AM »
Theres currently a 6-8 week wait

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 01:22:06 AM »
naz what about a new set of springs is there a wait on spares asswell?

Offline Kiwi

• *boop*
    • My Twitter!
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 01:26:15 AM »
naz what about a new set of springs is there a wait on spares asswell?

nope.. i got mine next day.. unless there has been a change in a week..

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 01:27:14 AM »
ohh cool anyone wanna lend me a few quids :P few being about the price of 2 m90 springs :P

Offline Kiwi

• *boop*
    • My Twitter!
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 01:32:17 AM »
ooohh i dunno whether or not to sell mine...

i know ill need em in the future once i start bottoming out the 80's ........  :Ctwitcy:

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 01:35:10 AM »
well actually that depends on ur weight as everybody gets to a certain weight that well there just phsically not heavy enough to bend there springs so when u start botoming m80's u either do need the m90 step up or simply new m80's loads of professionals that start bottoming will just buy the same weight

i thinks :P

im gonna get my mummy to buy me some :D

Offline Kiwi

• *boop*
    • My Twitter!
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 01:38:18 AM »
thats actually a very goood point, i did not think of thaat..... well ill keep them untill i start bottoming out the 80's and put them in see if it works.... of they dont then ill seell the 80's and get new 80's i guess... till then they shall gather dust!

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 01:43:00 AM »
DUST low in colestrol and fat perfect if u want to loose a jean size XD

CAKE!!!  (anyone watch little britan???)