Author Topic: Being scared.  (Read 5893 times)

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
Being scared.
« on: April 01, 2009, 11:39:20 AM »
One of the latest WB's joined us in the gym recently where she said to us she was scared of trying new things - that the actual task was scary.

Now this is something new to me. Out and about I constantly look for new challenges but I have never come across something and really wanted to do it but was scared. I usually go for it and go for it until I manage it.

Do you think this scare factor could just be self confidence? Has it ever effected you?

Offline Bexx

• I need a bock
  • EA Bocker
  • I'VE MOVED!
Re: Being scared.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 11:50:24 AM »
Thinking about this on a psychological side (and don’t quote me on this as I have no qualifications in that area)

I would imagine it is a self confidence issue. Everybody is different. A lot of people are scared of trying out new things for a lot of reasons … usually because they are scared of people staring at them or laughing or maybe just scared of falling over – either way its just a case of lack of self confidence and people like that need someone stronger to drive them and build them up to a point where their confidence exceeds any fears.

Hope this helped  :Csmile:

------------------------------------
No-Longer down south :(  I will miss london -- but I will be back, oh yes

Offline chocl8

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for Backflip?
    • EA Bockers - It's in the Springs!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 12:23:11 PM »
I find things are a battle between (generally on stilts) being scared/self preservation and wanting to complete something. Like there is this kinda ditch at Bury Abbey, and every since i've seen it, i really wanted to jump into it and flip out of it on to the other side. Last week i managed it....after a year of being too scared!!

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 03:08:26 PM »
I'm gonna hold my hands up and say yes, it has, and still does (too a lesser degree).

I am not too sure why. I think it is a self confidence thing, possibly just negative thinking patterns. But say I am going to try something the whole time I am thinking I can't do it, I wont do it right, i'm gonna mess it up. Bacically, i am going to fail. And apparently I know this before I try.

Thats about all I can say for now..but I am sure I will think of more later..

Oh...and when I do it right, I tend to put it down as luck. And I say I, but I dont think its something I easily have control over.

:spudT:

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 03:42:41 PM »
I think it can be a mixture of a number of things all can be positive or negative

1) Possible experience (Nurture)
2) mental toughness (Nature)
3) parental attitude to risk or new things (Nuture)
4) Physical condition - age, fitness, flexibility, agility, balance

As for me I think I am positive but I am having difficulty getting onto the red blcoks and staying in control. A couple of hard landings have had a negative effect on me so I now have a mental block which is proving hard to dislodge.
Grow old disgracefully

Offline Kiwi

• *boop*
    • My Twitter!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 06:46:56 PM »
oh defo. being a n00b myself.

for me however it is not as much a sense of fear... i have no sense of fear but i do have sense of pain which stops me from trying out things that i believe is beyond my skill level.

Offline Kazbahn

• :D
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 08:21:08 PM »
As people have already said, i get the sometimes, and it's just my sense of self preservation kicking in... lol

the good thing around where i live is, there's lots of things to do, and with some of them you can perform the same action from different heights/whatever, so if you can build up to something, i find it helps...

Try that with that person if they cant do anything at first, just build it up, step by step...

As my old music teacher used to say as a metaphor 'There's no point trying to run, before you can walk, or you'll fall flat on your face'

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 08:37:14 PM »
Yeah I've done that with her. I should point out she's only 12 or 13.
In the past I have just encouraged people, told them or even prooved they can do it and then when they finally go for it the sense of achievement kicks in and they start the road to invincabiliality....but she is not...not even in the gym.

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 09:22:04 PM »
You know far too much about my bocking for me to even bother answering this Locky.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 09:46:41 PM »
I do find I have a hesitation factor

Clive and I discused it a while back and both of us can't afford to take time off work if we get hurt so part of it is gauging how much I can risk before I could ruin my life and end up causing a lot of anguish

Basicaly aside from me getting hurt (I'm used to that) it would hurt all my family too in a financial sence so that holds me back a lot and of course me being the clumbsiest person alive  :Claugh:

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 10:18:30 PM »
Jason, I have to agree with you on the work side of things - not because I need to work for money, but because my university course relies heavily on work placement which I need to complete on time to graduate.
I think that's a lot of what holds me back now, I know I can do better, I know I can push myself further, but I don't want to because the risk of injury means I'd end up having a lot of time off work, which in turn would most likely kick me back a year on the course.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 10:45:24 PM »
Yep mate it's horrible when the responsibility bit kicks in  :Claugh: wait till your looking at a mortgage and being homeless and constant nagging if you get it wrong  :Claugh: puts a whole new spin on flips  :Claugh:

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 01:38:57 PM »
get it all the time, cause i'm a big chicken :D (only for flips)

*cluck cluck*

Offline Kiwi

• *boop*
    • My Twitter!
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 12:07:12 AM »
get it all the time, cause i'm a big chicken :D (only for flips)

*cluck cluck*

and we have video evidence of that too :D

Offline scruff

• Jump! How High??
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 11:52:58 AM »
I get it aswell
Like I have not tried doning grabs yet
I just dont have self confidence
But im getting there slowly
Soon flips!! :Becky:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 11:55:14 AM by scruff »

Offline Kiola

• Elite Member
  • Nuttier than Squirrel Poo..
    • www.SimeonKiola.com
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 12:00:38 PM »
For me when i try new things theres a little voice in the back of my head telling me its a bad thing but the rest of me wants to do it so badly that it tends to overide that little Voice :D

I dont think i could be doing what im doing now if i let that little voice tell me what to do! I wouldnt even be jumping..

And on the work side of things when put like that by Jason an Sproog maybe actually working on the stilts isnt such a great thing hehe :P

K.

New Vids;
The London Eye - By SimeonKiola
First Class - Car Flip Show 2013
Simeon Kiola 2012   

Currently Working Full time Self Employed International Stilts Acrobat/Entertainer