Author Topic: What's the Perfect Bag for a Jam/Meet/Sesh?  (Read 2671 times)

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
What's the Perfect Bag for a Jam/Meet/Sesh?
« on: April 04, 2009, 06:59:31 PM »
Hey people, this is a topic that comes up a lot on free-running forums and I thought it might be relevant here too. You need a bag that's small and light enough to bock with, but big enough to carry the essentials. The essentials for me being water, a bit of food, deodorant, keys, mp3, phone ...and maybe as luxury items a spare t-shirt and camera. Usually you end up having a bag that's too large to bock with, and some poor stiltless soul has to carry them or you all pile them up in a corner... which is an easy target for chavs. You could just go with a £10 and buy your food/water as and when you get hungry/thirsty, but I prefer to take everything with me, and hate de-bocking just to go grab a water-bottle... which could be pretty far away from the training area in some places.

Anyway, I was just wondering what you would want in your 'Perfect Bocking Bag'. What you like to take to a jam. And if you've already found the perfect bag, what is it?

A lot of people I've spoken to like the Sports Holster:
http://www.mydogandbone.co.uk/ViewProdDetails.asp?prod_code=PON05F000088&Prod_name=Urban
I do like the idea of the sports holster... but it's not quite perfect for my needs, and personally I think it's too expensive. What do you guys think?

:WARNING: The rest of this post is me rambling on about MY perfect bag. It may be boring and you shouldn't feel the need to read it. ^_^

My perfect bag would probably be some sort of harness/holster or tactical/military vest type configuration with enough storage space in the straps for the essentials and a perfectly sized compartment located laterally across the chest to hold a 500ml water bottle. In that position you could still tuck jump, kick, and flip without it being in the way of your knees when you tucked ....aaaand, because it's not on your back like a hydration pack, you could fall over and even roll without damaging anything or having your water explode! This is assuming that when you fall over forwards you don't completely belly-flop and splat... in which case things would still be damaged. If you were learning something new then you should probably still take it off.

It could still have a slightly larger 'sports holster'-esque pouch on the back, but just to carry a spare t-shirt or face towel... or other soft, non-fragile 2D items you wouldn't mind falling/rolling on. The whole thing, especially frontal compartments should sit mainly on the upper torso (like the sports holster and smaller hydration packs) so as not to restrict movements involving bending and tucking.

And as the cherry on top, it would have speakers in the straps. Because I love to listen to music whilst training, but I don't like ear-phones because they block out the sounds of your surroundings such as your landing, or the spring warning you it's about to break, or the person screaming "LOOK OUT - BEHIND YOU - BUS!!!" as the evil driver speeds toward you in your happy sound-proofed bubble!

This bag would allow you to carry everything you (or at least I) like to take to a jam, without having to go to a shop half way through the day, and without worrying about rolling or having your bag stolen when you inevetably have to take it off to bounce. Like I said, some people are happy to just take a £10 note to a jam and have a lunch break half way through the day... but in some places (eg. London) you really have to go out of your way to get to shops and it kinda kills the jam for a while. And until you finish that food or drink you don't have the hands free freedom to vault stuff on your way to the next spot. I learnt vaults bocking with Nero last week! ^_^ Yay. lol.

Anyone want to make this for me? ^_^ ...an alternative to the frontal-fitted water bottle holder would be a form-fitting, flexible snowboard-bag-like hard shell that would protect the contents whilst rolling... a bit like a back protector with space for contents... but that would be harder to make.
:WARNING OVER:

What are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 08:29:51 PM by Brendan (NeoNinja) »
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
Re: What's the Perfect Bag for a Jam/Meet/Sesh?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 09:50:41 PM »
I have tried the hydration pack route and it came as a compact rucksack that you could carry a bit of gear in

Total fail even with all the straps done up it hit me in the back of the head every time I jumped

I now take a bum bag (fairly large one to match my bum  :Claugh:) and this has a water bottle carrier and can be worn on the front rather than the back but it still gets in the way so I normally take money and find pubs that let me in on the bocks  :Claugh: (Toddy taught me that one  :Cbiggrin:)

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 01:31:01 AM »
I've decided I'll give the bumbag a try. But I'll definitely wear it diagonally so I don't look an elderly tourist in a theme park. lol. But I'm afraid there may be no cool way to wear a bum bag. =/ Oh well.

And I have a solution for the music too. ^_^ I'm getting a SoundWalk SpeakerVest. ^_^ It was on the Gadget show and they gave it a really good review. I'm gonna test it myself under more bouncy conditions! ^_^ And I'll tell you what I think.

This is it on The Gadget Show. =) They first show it at 2:02.
http://fwd.five.tv/gadgets/audio-video/portable-audio-video/mp3media-players/soundwalk-mp3-audio-vest-sw-501

Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 06:46:37 PM »
Great write up B, and its a great question.
i love my fox rucksack, but my perfect bocking bag would have nothing in it so i didnt have to carry one, therefore could do what i wanted, but most times i have a camcorder, spare bolts, bushes if i have any left, tools etc, and i just buy refreshments as and when.
i like the idea of a tactical vest and really liked the wearable speakers.

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 09:20:34 PM »
i like the idea of a tactical vest and really liked the wearable speakers.

Then hopefully you'll like the Ultimate Bocking Speaker Harness. ^_^

I've drawn up all the designs. Front, back, plan... can't be bothered to do an exploded diagram but I feel it's obvious enough without one. I just nedd to find someone/somewhere that will make it. ^_^
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 09:39:42 PM by Brendan (NeoNinja) »