Author Topic: Speaker Vest Review  (Read 4967 times)

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
Speaker Vest Review
« on: April 12, 2009, 07:41:26 PM »
I don't know if this will interest anyone, but thought I'd throw it up here just incase. I think they're awesome. The review is written for Parkour/free-running forums but I think it's pretty transferable to bocking. It's a pretty long read so you might just want to look at the scores out of ten written in bold.

Aza Extremes Sound Walk Speaker Vest

The Sound Walk Speaker Vest is an in-vest, shoulder-mounted portable speaker system that allows you to listen to music whilst being “extreme” lol. “Extreme” was the tagline in a cheesy YouTube vid about the vest - I don’t recommend the video but I seriously recommend the product! It was originally designed for cyclists and runners but it’s also a perfect piece of kit for Parkour and Free-running. Just like when working out in the gym, loads of people I train with like to listen to music at jams and conditioning sessions. It helps get you in the right frame of mind - whether that’s to chill out or get psyched up, and it can enhance dull solo sessions. There’s nothing like a big summer jam with good friends and a great sound track!

Like me you may have tried attaching a portable speaker to your hydration pack, or more likely you just wear earphones. The problems with those methods are that most portable speakers are either too bulky and hard to mount, or they’re small enough but produce disappointing sound quality and volume. Also it’s hard to roll or do certain flips whilst wearing a bag. With ear phones you have to manage wires and put up with them falling out pretty much every time you get upside down. And they make it difficult to hear your surroundings and the people you’re jamming with. You can always wear just one ear phone, but then you don’t get the sound in stereo. A few years ago my friends even tried taking an old school ghetto blaster to jams but it wasn’t long before we got sick of dragging it around. It’s fine on days where you spend hours training in one area, but some days you just want to go on runs and missions. Then bags and stereos just aren’t practical.

Well the ‘Sound Walk Speaker Vest’ is the solution to all those problems. It’s light-weight and form-fitting design means you can perform all movements, including the roll, completely uninhibited and still hear your landings or your friends yelling “LOOK OUT!” just before someone accidentally flash kicks you in the back of the head or a bus tries to run you over. So it gets points for safety too.   
So, marks out of 10.

Practicality and Function – 10/10
It couldn’t really be better. It solves the problem of what to do with the wires because like the ‘Urban Tool Sports Holster’ reviewed not long ago, they’re all kept neatly inside the vest and there’s a place for your MP3 player and phone. Unlike the ‘Sports Holster’ there’s no pocket for your wallet or a pouch on the back for a camera. Personally I wouldn’t want to keep anything on my back as I wouldn’t be able to roll – but it might be nice to have a small pouch on the front for your wallet and keys so you didn’t have to take a bag at all… but I guess that’s why combats have pockets. If it had such a pouch I wouldn’t hesitate to award it 10/10… as it is I was tempted to give it 9/10 but then I remembered it’s not meant to be a replacement for your bag, it’s a replacement for bad portable speakers. As a solution for people who want music on the go but don’t like earphones it’s a perfect 10. 

Sound Quality – 9/10
I was pleasantly surprised… no, amazed at the sound quality from these small speakers. Like all portable speakers it suffers from limited bass, so anything by Timbaland or some of your favourite 3run vid sound tracks like ‘B-Boys War’ won’t sound quite as good as they could. But most instruments sound great and the voice clarity is crystal! So if you’re sad enough to have the mirrors edge soundtrack on your MP3 like me you won’t be disappointed. Also the sound is in perfect stereo.
Finally, a few of my more polite friends asked “but won’t it annoy people around you?” Well, maybe, but because the sound from the speakers is directed upwards and they’re so close to your ears you don’t need the volume that high for it to seem loud when wearing it. So anyone walking past you on the street won’t have to listen to your music for long. With a little consideration everyone will be happy. When you’re alone or in an isolated area you can pump up the volume, when walking through the street turn it down a little, and if you find yourself in a museum or library turn it off. Simple. So, somewhat disappointing bass but way better than any other small portable speakers I’ve heard. 9/10.

Comfort and Fit – 8/10
It fits like a glove… an upper torso glove. Ok it’s more like a bra. With its two easy-to-adjust straps and light weight design it conforms to your body and is so comfortable you could forget you’re wearing it. That said the top I was wearing had a small collar like that on ‘Under Armour’ and ‘Nike pro’ shirts. I can imagine it would rub your neck a little if your shirt didn’t have such a collar… in fact yep, I just tested it and it does rub – so I have to give it 8/10 instead of full marks. But with a collar, I wore it for about 9 hours in complete comfort and it didn’t budge. Big jumps, dive rolls, wall tricks, and a tricking session had no effect on its snug fit, and my phone and MP3 player were safe and secure the whole time. Also, the shape of the vest meant that all movements were completely uninhibited. It comes in 3 sizes – small, medium and large.

Style – 10/10
The styling is great - somewhere between a climbing harness and a tactical vest or holster. In black with white reflective stitching it’s quite subtle and from the front just looks like you’re wearing a hydration pack. However if you want something to stand out in it’s also available in red, orange, green, or pink. The material and metal accents make it look very high quality in addition to being well made and durable. I think it looks awesome, but even if you don’t, it’s form fitting enough to wear under a hoody or thick t-shirt. I tried this and you can still hear the speakers perfectly. Top marks. 10 out of 10!

Value - 8/10
At around £50 it’s not exactly cheap, but then you get what you pay for. Compared to alternative products I consider it a fair price. I’ve had cheaper speakers in the past… but the sound quality was rubbish, and I’ve heard some amazing head phones but they cost twice as much as the vest and still have the problems mentioned earlier. To buy speakers of this quality plus a similar harness or bag to attach them to would undoubtedly cost more, and on that basis I consider the ‘Sound Walk Speaker Vest’ a good investment (was that a pun… I hope not. At least I didn’t call it a sound investment). You also have to factor in that the system requires 2 AAA batteries, but they didn’t die during a 9 hour jam at which I had the music playing for at least 5 hours. I’ll turn it on again later to see how many hours it lasts on continuous play. Of course £50 is unfortunately a little outside of some people’s price range so it’s worth noting that ‘Aza Extremes’ also sell the speakers alone for around £30. So you could buy the speakers and attach them to your own bag.

Overall – 9/10
I think it’s pretty clear that the ‘Sound Walk Speaker Vest’ gets a big thumbs up from me. I loved it! Amazing style and comfort with surprisingly great sound quality perfect for jams and solo training. You can train to music and still hear your surroundings and landings – and no more fussing with wires or having your earphones fall out every time you vault, roll or flip. “Extreme!” LOL. For more info go to www.azaextremes.com. Or http://www.ultimate-travelgear.com/Soundwalk-Audio-Cycling-Vest___63.htm.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 08:55:32 PM by Brendan (NeoNinja) »
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline Fysh

• Hello ;)
    • Bubble-Bytes
Re: Speaker Vest Review
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
Not sure about the vest, but I sure do like the lady in the picture :Cbiggrin: ...

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 09:03:04 PM »
You should check out the girl wearing it at their promo show!
There's pictures on the first website I linked to. ^_^ Yum!
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline Fysh

• Hello ;)
    • Bubble-Bytes
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 09:29:31 PM »
Promo show? When, where??!

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 10:28:59 PM »
2 years ago, Korea. I did say it was in the link.

Offline Fysh

• Hello ;)
    • Bubble-Bytes
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 11:19:19 PM »
I see :)

Offline Kazbahn

• :D
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 02:57:58 PM »
Looks like a pretty good buy Neo... Might have to save up for a while to get one though... As i need calf cuffs before that :P

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 12:56:59 AM »
Ahh, so they should have invented speaker-cuffs.

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 09:02:25 AM »
after seeing this vest i soooo want one, although wearing it for a minute made it feel like i had boobs

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Offline lynch

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 12:00:34 PM »
i need money :P

• Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 01:49:08 PM »
Who doesn't?! ^_^

You could always buy the strap-on speakers and attach them to a light-weight bag you already own. They're only £30. ...it's starting to sound like I sell these things now. lol.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 10:31:50 AM by Brendan (NeoNinja) »