Author Topic: My bocking story  (Read 4552 times)

Offline Trinitrophenol

My bocking story
« on: April 17, 2009, 12:50:34 AM »
When I first wore the stilts the feeling is totally weird!! wobbly and managed to walk without aid in about 30mins..

2nd time I was walking quite confidently , occasionally almost lost my balance because my rubber feet accidentally "kicked" the floor , gotta keep reminding myself to LIFT my legs lol!

3rd time was trying to learn how to stand up unaided (which I still trying, I cant do it till now without a small little ledge on my side for me to push up from, any advice?) and a little bit of slow jog..

4th time call me weird but I learned jumping with 2 legs before I learn how to run lol. It was a sudden spur of the moment I started running, guess the trick is not to look down but rather look ahead when you run.. I tend to hold my breath while I run and I get out of breath easily.. guess I am still anxious. Still trying to gain height on jumping.. 

Normally I practice for about an hour before my stamina runs out.. After each practice , the next day I get muscle aches from my shoulder blade, tummy and legs haha!

Everytime I practice I bring my camelbak (water bag) along so I dont have to keep going back to the water point to quench my thirst.. (Singapore is hot!) , it might serve as a cushion should I land on my back too!  :Cwink:

I tend to move forward when I jump, is that correct? Is there a way to jump on a spot? I am 65kg and my springs are 80s, would it be easier for me to learn if i were to get a 60s or 70s spring or should I just stick to my 80s?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 12:58:51 AM by Trinitrophenol »

Offline Archy-G

Re: My bocking story
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 09:18:35 AM »
Sounds likr your havin fun and wish you well for when you imporve even more.
Im sorry but im not an expert at these yet so i cant really answer any of your questions. Sorry but well done. :Csmile: :Csmile:

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 09:49:25 AM »
If you can get up unaided thats probably better than what I can do :D Just practice and try and try until you get it. I think thats the only way to master that skill. You seem to have most of the technique but I think there are a couple of tutorials/videos in the beginner's board. Don't practice too long tho. It takes a lot of energy. If you get tired then stop, you deffo wont learn it then ;)

Jumping forwards on bocks is normal, and right. It doesn't really matter if you stay on the spot or move forward but, especially when learning, it is easier to move around. I don't think I can help moving forward a bit, its just easier to. But I just wouldn't worry about trying to jump on the spot until you have the technique bit nailed :)

The rule for bocks is that you get springs about 10kg over your weight. Getting 60s would be 5kg less than your weight and deffo not for you. 70's would only be +5 so still not the best. Getting soft springs maybe helpful for a very short amount of time but then you just need to upgrade. I would say 80's are right. It is +15 but thats actually normal. You should be fine with them. Just keep practicing. Bocking actually isnt as easy as it looks. Its one of those skills that is easy to learn but hard to get right. Just keep using them as you are and you will get it ;)

:spudT:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 09:55:18 AM by Spud »

Offline Archy-G

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 10:39:47 AM »
Its one of those skills that is easy to learn but hard to get right.
 :spudT:

I like how you put that. :Csmile:

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
  • KATIEE :D <3
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 12:28:18 PM »
yer as spud says get the 10kg over ur weight unless ur a sprinter or have incredible humonguss leg muscles XD

as spud also says jumping on the spot is preety hard, when jumping DO NOT look down looking down causes ur balance to go off wack and youll end up wif a face print in the floor :P

if u want to improve ur running start off sowly bouncing from foot to foot and then lean forward slightly and put the bouncing in to a prepelling motion i practised this way and i can now hit 20mph well i raced my dad up the road he was in a car keeping at 20 and i stayed along side so i was preety happy. (until i found out there was a main road infront of me:P)

with getting up it still remains the best and hardest skill to learn, you see some experts that can backflip some of them cant get up unaided dont worry if u cant master this yet its very hard to do (dont try get up with weak combat pants on unless ur in the mood to show off your boxers like i did :P)

if u want to gain hieght but ur still abit wobeley and ur stilts arnt broken in try holding a tree or lampost or pole that goes straight up and bounce ur hardest this will show u how much power u can put into ur stilts and will help break them in :)

oh ye dont try and stand still hehe ;)

i carnt spel... or maybe you cant read ;)

Offline Trinitrophenol

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 12:44:58 AM »
I was at this jumping stilts rental shop today and the shop owner told me it might be easier if you point your back feet 90degrees rather than parallel with your front leg, so its some sort of L shape if you get what it mean. This provides a better grip on the back feet and as you rise up , you align back to balance up. Yet to try this method and will update when i try it !