Author Topic: Knee straps - can they be improved?  (Read 4403 times)

Offline PaulH

Knee straps - can they be improved?
« on: April 18, 2009, 01:06:47 PM »
Hi, I just got some new ProJumps.  The foot-straps are fine (the heavy plastic ratchet-type ones), but the knee straps are not so good.  There's a black nylon tape that runs between two metal rings and then doubles back into a plastic buckle.

Whatever I do, these straps work loose, giving about an inch of "wobble" at the knee.  For a newbie at least, this is disconcerting as it makes the stilts less stable.

I've seen ProJumps with the ratchet-style straps (similar to the foot straps) at the knee, and these look much better.  Has anyone encountered a similar problem, and is it possible to mod the knee straps?

Thanks!
Paul

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
Re: Knee straps - can they be improved?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 01:59:25 PM »
There's quite a few options:

Take a look in your PJ manual and there should be a bit about using cloth webbing to secure your leg in the kneebars.

You can also get Pinhead Straps, but I think he's currently not making any, could be worth sending him a PM though (Pinhead69).

Your other option is calf cuffs, which replace the entire kneebar with a section that fits much more securely to your leg.

I've only seen ratchet straps on kneebars about 3 times, it's quite a good idea but a bit of a pain to implement and apparently not exactly comfortable.

Offline PaulH

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 03:06:39 PM »
Hi Sprog, and thanks for the suggestions.  Tapes sound like a not-great option; likewise the ratchet-straps if their not comfy.

Can you tell me what pinhead-straps are, or give me a link?  Likewise the calf-cuffs?  Can I get them from any suppliers in the UK>

Thanks again for your advice!
Paul

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 03:26:15 PM »
I'd like to see pics of ratchet straps on the knees. I thought that was just the kids model. Any links or pics Sprog or PaulH?
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 04:02:11 PM »
Buried deep in the depths of the "other forum", in topics 3 years old :Claugh:

Pinhead straps are a custom design that fit to the kneebar, and pull your leg in towards it to prevent movement. You can take a look at them here:
http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1070.0

Just send the guy a PM and see if you get a response, Pinny works on them very sporadically due to health and finances so you might not get a reply for a while. They're damn good and worth the price though.

Calf Cuffs you can get from ProJump, at this link:
http://www.pro-jump.co.uk/pp/ProJump-Spare-Parts/Adult-ProJump-Parts/Pro-Jump-Calf-Cuffs.html

Just to check though, your bocks ARE ProJumps? If they are you'll be fine, if not I wouldn't recommend ProJump cuffs with them as they have been proven to be a bit unstable on other brands of stilts due to differences in sizes of the bars and the brackets that hold them.

Offline PaulH

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 04:10:10 PM »
Hi Sprog,
Many thanks again.  Yes, mine are ProJumps.  I've just found the Calf Cuffs on the projump site; they look like an improvement, and they're cheap so I'll order a pair and see how it goes.  Another option would be to run a 1/2-inch diameter stainless steel bolt through my knee, but I can see there might be issues with that.

Blimey, if Douglas Bader had been fitted with a pair of these....

Offline PaulH

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 12:18:26 AM »
Hi again, Noobie here :-)

Just got my calf cuffs and test-drove them.  So far so good - they seem more comfortable and more stable than the old braces.  Main issue seems to be getting the two independent metal brackets set at the right angle (ie, turned in/out correctly).  I also wonder if, in time, these brackets will tend to rotate. Also, I don't entirely understand the arrangement of the velcro - it doesn't seem to be set up very well for holding the "tail" of the strap, but I may be being dumb.  Again.

The whole knee-brace business seems to be not well thought out, given that it's critical for stability and comfort....

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 01:15:08 AM »
The whole knee-brace business seems to be not well thought out, given that it's critical for stability and comfort....

it's actually quite a good system, once it's set up properly.  kneebars generally need more padding and cuffs generally need more adjustment to get them nice.  and there's not really any other method that could be used, needs to have a lot of support for the ankle however it's done

Offline PaulH

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 11:59:02 PM »
//it's actually quite a good system, once it's set up properly.//

You mean the cuffs?  I still disagree, I'm afraid.  The knee brace that's supplied with the ProJumps (the metal hoop that you put your knee through) is bad because (a) the straps that pull your knee forward against the front are no good and work loose easily and (b) if you fall on your knees, you're kneeling down hard on a metal bar, which is not a good thing.    The cuffs are better, but they lack some stability because the two metal uprights are independent and hence tend to rotate with prolonged use.

There's got to be a better way.  For example:  take a standard knee brace (the once-piece-of-metal hoop).  Now imagine caving it in from the front so that the frontmost part curves in and goes *behind* the knee.  Then have straps to pull your knee back against this bar; this would have the advantages of calf cuffs plus the stability of the brace.

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 01:02:05 AM »
//it's actually quite a good system, once it's set up properly.//

You mean the cuffs?  I still disagree, I'm afraid.  The knee brace that's supplied with the ProJumps (the metal hoop that you put your knee through) is bad because (a) the straps that pull your knee forward against the front are no good and work loose easily and (b) if you fall on your knees, you're kneeling down hard on a metal bar, which is not a good thing.
That's why you get pinhead straps :D
A lot of people will argue your point on falling onto the bar - they believe it gives more protection. However, I agree with you, it is not designed to be fallen on to, even if it looks like it.

The cuffs are better, but they lack some stability because the two metal uprights are independent and hence tend to rotate with prolonged use.
Screw them in tighter then, or get some 7Leagues or PoweriSer cuffs, which use a metal bracket and hold a lot tighter. Sadly you can't get the metal brackets separate :-\

Offline TheBockingWizard

• Welshbockers
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 09:57:07 PM »
I have found that tying your knee to the knee bar with some electrical car wire works a treat, it's just a bit hard untying the knot.
<a href="http://www.welshbockers.co.uk/signature.swf" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.welshbockers.co.uk/signature.swf</a>