Author Topic: Spring Stiffness Rating  (Read 3643 times)

Offline dlipford370

Spring Stiffness Rating
« on: April 19, 2009, 08:00:18 AM »
So I've been bocking pretty much everyday for a month, since I got them.  I feel very comfortable on them, I can run just fine, jump up and down, walk around, bounce from one foot to the other, just hop on one foot.  I can even get a good 5 feet off the ground, what I'm wondering though is I may have gotten a little too stiff of spring.  I way 88.4KG, and I ordered the M100's.  Now that seems right for me, but I'm not sure if all of you know, but there is a more specific spring rating on the spring itself.  Mine is rated 109(it is wrote on in red paint on the bottom of the spring above the hoof.

Now if I go all out bocking for a good hour, the next day I feel too soar to even jump on my bocks, because I have to push so hard to get good height, that my body just aches soo bad I cant do it.  I have to tuck my legs in, and as I come down I throw my legs toward the ground, and then yeah I'll launch fken High, but it takes soo much freakin effort to launch.  There is no way I could get good height just hoping around, not tucking my legs in first and throwing them down(like I see in a lot of videos).  I'm wondering if anyone understands this to mean that my springs are too stiff ?  Maybe specifically because I got the "109" rated "100" spring?   Just to throw in the equation, I am 21 fit guy, that's 6'2" (feet and inches lol) and all my weight is from muscle from working out.

Offline ricky35

• Welsh Bockers
Re: Spring Stiffness Rating
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 08:32:26 AM »
well if you can get a good 5 feet of the ground i don't think that your springs will be that stiff lol.

In bocking there is a famous ache called "bockers back" which is basically caused by over using muscles in your back that hardly get used. Most people get it so don't worry its nothing to worry about. If the pain is quite bad i suggest you stop bocking for 1 or 2 weeks and then try again, this should make a difference (well i find it did).

Hope I've helped for once :Claugh:

Happy bocking  :Cbiggrin:
<a href="http://www.welshbockers.co.uk/signature.swf" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.welshbockers.co.uk/signature.swf</a>

Offline dlipford370

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 08:34:18 AM »
Yeah, I'm just watching other people bounce, and they put noticeably less effort into their jumps that it seems that I have to do get any height on my bocks.

Offline ricky35

• Welsh Bockers
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 08:39:01 AM »
If you are worried about the way you bounce you can post a vid and then members will be able to give you some tips and suggestions. :Cwink:

<a href="http://www.welshbockers.co.uk/signature.swf" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.welshbockers.co.uk/signature.swf</a>

Offline dlipford370

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 08:41:31 AM »
Yeah, I gotta get a video camera soon, then you guys tell me.  Yeah.

Offline lynch

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 10:14:21 AM »
with the weight of the springs i weight about 55kg and ive snaped a set of 90's which was marked as 93's my new set are 96's i found that they are well stiff but its best to wear them in over time and i found that i was then getting abut 4/5 foot just jumping after about 4 mounts of use but now ive got new springs they are very hard and stiff they just need wearing in
i hope this has helped and the bocker back is something that will thin out as your body gets use to the new use it can hurt and i do suggest that you take some time off bocking i had to takes 3 weeks off but it will go away

:Ctongue:

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 02:49:04 PM »
I've never personally witnessed anyone get 5ft of air...
that's incredible for a month, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I do wonder how some people measure the height of their vertical jump though.

It should be the distance between the ground and the hoof when your legs are straight.
Not the distance between the ground and your knees when you're doing a spring grab.

...obviously it's different when measuring your high jump over a pole for competition.
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 03:23:50 PM »
I do wonder how some people measure the height of their vertical jump though.

It should be the distance between the ground and the hoof when your legs are straight.
Not the distance between the ground and your knees when you're doing a spring grab.

...obviously it's different when measuring your high jump over a pole for competition.
Agreed, I've met some people who claimed to be jumping 2 feet within a week, turned out they were measuring from their footplates, so infact they were actually jumping about 6 inches :Claugh:

I think people find it hard to actually work out how high they are jumping due to the fact their head is already 5ft above their feet, and then the stilts add an extra 1.5ft, so they over estimate the height they are getting.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 08:55:06 PM »
I must admit that 5 ft is rare with straight legs but it is poss as Chocl8 proved to me in a gym meet ( the night he landed his first backflip I think)

I was standing on my stilts and he jumped next to me on a set of Skip springed PJ's now I stand a bit under 8 ft on my stilts and the PJ hoofs were above my head at one point so assuming his legs were bent he was at least 6ft up with his legs straight and to be honest I don't think his legs were that bent

Someone had a pic of it but I don't think it ever got posted (hint hint it will have me in it  :Claugh:)

One thing about your next day pain dlipford370 it does help if you are fit but bocking seems to use your muscles in a completely different way and I have seen very fit people suffer untill they get used to them so just try doing a little less on the first day and you might be able to do the next day
This will build the muscles you need slowly rather than making them ache to much to use

I ran into a case of this on a building site many years ago we had a labourer that we all called Conan ( sort of explains it really but he made Arnie look like a nancy) after an hour of banging in nails with a 24oz hammer he was almost crying in pain while the old bear bellied carpenters could go on all day just a case of what your used to

Well done with the 5 ft thought mate

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline dlipford370

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 11:59:39 PM »
Hmm... Well, I am doubting I am getting 5 feet of air now, from the comments.  And I am thinking with  my legs bent too, soo.  I'll have to post a video, and then you guys can critique me.  I'll have to get a video camera though, so stay tuned!