Author Topic: Another spring stiffness thread  (Read 3339 times)

Offline Dr_Evil

Another spring stiffness thread
« on: May 04, 2009, 09:50:42 PM »
Ok i've had my pro jumps for over a year but I hardly use them as they seem to be way too hard, i've maybe spent a couple of hours on them total. I weigh in at 73kg and bought M90s, the springs themselves say 99 on the bottom.

Am I right in thinking the 99 is for Kg's? I can bounce all my weight on one foot and the spring compresses less than a third of its total limit, with both feet it takes a hard bounce just to compress the springs at all.

Trying hard to get some 80's but i'm not planning to thow another £75 at this hobby right now.

I am quite fit and I can do back/front flips on a trampoline so should it be more like trampolining?

Offline choco bean

Re: Another spring stiffness thread
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 09:58:01 PM »
I did roughly the same as you but got M70s instead.  Your obviously finding it hard to jump, mine were like that, but you really need to start bocking every other weekend or so.  You break your springs in more so it is easier to bounce and you will also find your technique improving, so bouncing will become easier.  If you stick at it, hopefully you will bounce higher (or at least this is what I've found, in a similar situation).

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it!

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 11:18:45 PM »
Welcome to the forum Dr Evil :D

I think M80s would be about right for you since you are at the lower end of the 70's. Although the 90's would have been fine if they were not right at the top end (yes, the 99 refers to kg).

Unless you buy new springs I really think you will struggle to get hold of a set of 80's. I really hope you don't give up though. It is a lot of fun.

I would say 50% of your problem is the springs and 50% not being on them enough. The more time you spend the better you will get. If you really clocked up the hours you would be able to work with those springs. Progression probably a lot slower but if you don't want to spend the money on new springs it's probably the only way.

There are some similarities between bocking and trampolining but if you thought bocking would be like having a trampoline under your feet the whole time you were mistaken. It does take a lot of force to get the most out of the springs. You really have to slam down with your heels and give it all you have. The technique can take a while to get down perfect. Most people learn to flip on a trampoline first just to get the feel for flipping but apparently it is quite different with the added weight.

Where abouts are you? Bocking with other people might help you to spend more time on them, and help with technique.

:spudT:

Offline Kiwi

• *boop*
    • My Twitter!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 01:34:26 AM »
I'm surprised I have not been mentioned yet LOL. :Claugh:

Offline Dr_Evil

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 05:11:00 PM »
I bought some 85kg springs and spent a few hours fixing up all the bearings and fitting them, Major improvement so far  :Cbiggrin:

Offline Archy-G

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 08:29:22 PM »
sounds gr8 hope you enjoy the new spring and by the way what are you going to be doing with the old ones.

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 08:52:31 PM »
save em for when they're needed :P

i've got my T-rexes at the moment, and my pro-energies sitting around for when i get off my ass and practice enough again  :Claugh:

Offline Dr_Evil

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 05:25:58 PM »
sounds gr8 hope you enjoy the new spring and by the way what are you going to be doing with the old ones.

http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3449.msg49045;topicseen#new