Author Topic: is bocking dangerous  (Read 2348 times)

Offline jumper

is bocking dangerous
« on: May 06, 2009, 07:30:22 PM »
My mum does'nt want me to get any bockers because she thinks im going to break my leg strate away. can you tell me the truth please so my mum will let me get some.
thx hoping its safe
jumper!! :PJL: :PJR:
IM A TOTALL NOOOOOOOOOOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Archie L

• EA Bocker
Re: is bocking dangerous
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 07:41:39 PM »
Depends on what sort of stuff you do on them, really. If you are just learning, you'll tend not to try anything completely out of your ability. I find it's mostly when you don't slowly learn something (when you rush into something) And when you're tired that you tend to get injuries. But pads minimize that risk a lot :)  :Csmile:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 07:48:16 PM by Archie L »

It's Cavemen vs. Gentlemen.
It's easier than it loo-
-ouch

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 07:50:27 PM »
Yes, everyone who has attempted it has broken their legs and is now unable to walk ;D

There is a risk of injury with every sport, same goes for bocking. As long as you take it easy, wear pads, and only go as far as you feel confident you should be fine. Most injuries occur when people either push beyond their ability or they simply make silly mistakes, and I would say the majority of Injuries I personally have seen have been broken wrists from people not wearing wristguards, or broken collarbones from people falling odd.

I've only ever had two major injuries occur whist I was out bocking, which are:
I was in Cardiff in July '08 and one of the guys dislocated his elbow from falling onto his arm from a large height. He took it very well though, and was back bocking in a matter of weeks.
I was in Cardiff this weekend just gone and a kid on his first day broke his leg because he landed wrong. He also took it very well, but is going to be off bocks for at least 2 months.

To add to Cardiff this weekend, people there have been bocking for over a year and were doing backflips and crazy stuff, and they have never broken anything. Yes accidents do occur (like this weekend - He wasn't even pushing hard, he just landed odd), but it comes with the territory, and as long as you take it easy and learn at a reasonable pace that you feel confident and safe with, you should be fine

Offline lynch

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 07:54:10 PM »
im going to say its not the bocks is the user

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 08:02:07 PM »
Strangely enough today I have been collecting data on welshbockers injuries over the past 2.5 years and im glad to say its better than I thought!

Offline XS

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 08:23:18 PM »
you need to define the difference between minor and serious injury
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 10:34:55 PM by XS »

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 08:31:02 PM »
ask a doctor.