Author Topic: Just a few pre-buy concerns, help is really appreciated!  (Read 4599 times)

Offline Neodragus

Just a few pre-buy concerns, help is really appreciated!
« on: May 18, 2009, 08:39:35 AM »
Hey guys, new to the forum but I have been checking out these jumping stilts for a little while now (if there's another name for them lemme hear it!) First post from me =), woop woop. Anyway, I'm about ready to buy now but I have a couple questions i'd like answered first. The most important question would be, what are the best choices of jumping stilts to get for a beginners first starting out, although I will be planning on using them as a practical way to get too and from College and work, as well as for a bit of fun; is there anything special to look out for or can I just get straight on with one of the cheaper pairs? Also, is there a way to adjust the foot bracket that houses your foot so the ball of my foot is lower then the heal as I don't think I would be comfortable jumping on a flat foot, albeit with a set of stilts on?
The sooner you guys can get back to me, the sooner you guys can have the pleasure of knowing you're getting a new guy out jumping on these beauties!

Offline Kiola

• Elite Member
  • Nuttier than Squirrel Poo..
    • www.SimeonKiola.com
Re: Just a few pre-buy concerns, help is really appreciated!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 10:45:28 AM »
Pro-Jump own this forum and are probably your best bet for just starting out.. then if you really like the sport you can buy powerskips for a lot more from the same company.. But 'Pro-Jumps' will do well for you.. Even though there cheaper they are still as good, sometimes even better quality than some of the other stilts out there.. Buy them and have fun :)

New Vids;
The London Eye - By SimeonKiola
First Class - Car Flip Show 2013
Simeon Kiola 2012   

Currently Working Full time Self Employed International Stilts Acrobat/Entertainer

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 11:34:24 AM »
on the footplate issue: yes if ou know what you're doing, just a couple of bolts to adjust, but it's incredibl unnatural to use them that way, most people like them flat-ish, i like them tilting backwards  :Claugh:

gotta remember ou won't be using your ankles for walking, so it'll feel odd anyways

oh and unless work/college are quite close then it's not that practical, way too tiring, especially at first

Offline Neodragus

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 12:09:15 PM »
Well, looks like i'll be ordering some in all of about 5 minutes then!
I have really curved feet and when running or doing anything active like that, I only stand on the balls of my feet, I barely use the heel at all, unless I'm doing kicks and stuff my martial arts. Although yeah, I did completely forget about that, your ankles are locked in, not going to be using them, I guess i'd be more comfortable with them pointing down a little still though. And if it's just a few bolts to adjust then i'm sure i'll be able to sort it out

Also, how do the stilts handle if it's been raining? They do seem fairly versatile for multiple types of ground as i've seen lots of video's where people have been in parks with them and on the beach too, although, they don't perform as effectively on the beach... I would hate to suddenly slip over while at a moderate run, that would hurt like hell...

« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 12:26:41 PM by Neodragus »

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 12:47:26 PM »
walking digigrade all the time can be very bad in the long run, and bocks do generally help with the proiblems, so get some! and get bouncing :D

where are you? might be a group locally.

sorry for the horrific spelling and grammar, the last row of keys just stopped working, including both delete keys, and teh enter kay XD

EIDT: fix'd :D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 12:51:25 PM by darfgarf »

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 03:59:52 PM »
hi  bocks r not too good in the wet.  As a beginner stay away from wet surfaces, wait till you have worked out how to recover from a slip. dont run in wet. bocks dont like loose surfaces ie gravel un leaves.

dont think you will get places quicker.  you can sprint reAL fast these things are heavy  so only short distances can u run. also will take 10 min to get on un off.

pro jumps r fine but get pads too, un look out for branches and street signs

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 04:10:01 PM »
also will take 10 min to get on un off.

for you maybe :P i can do it in about a minute

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 04:22:57 PM »
I was waiting for sprog but oh well. Bocks are not a very good mode of transport. You will havevto train and train to be able to run for long at any kind of speed. It takes a lot of energy. Bocks are better for jumping and tricks. Also.. Unless you wanna lug them around all day u wud have to lock them up and i wouldnt suggest that at all. If you want good transport buy a bike. If you want some fun jumping around buy bocks. They are awesome but not practical for stuff like that.

:spudT:

Offline Neodragus

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 04:46:05 PM »
I was mainly intending for a bit of fun with these, just hoping that maybe they could be used practically as well, i'll see what I can do with them making a run to from and the train in the mornings. I'm living in England currently, but will be moving to Denmark on the 10th of July though. I can imagine i'm probably going to fall over at first a few times, but I didn't plan on using them in the wet until i've got to grips and got comfortable with them, by comfortable, I mean bouncing onto sheds and over cars =p All in all i'd be running about 10 minutes to the train, then 5 minutes to college, and about 10 minutes to work. wouldn't be much running, i'll save the hour long laps for a bike =p
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 04:49:35 PM by Neodragus »

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 05:17:22 PM »
Where in the england are you. You might be near a group and can go to some meets while you are in the country :D I still think a 10 min run is quite ambitious. I struggle to run anything more than 100 meters. I imagine after too long you will feel quite tired and will be quite likely to fall over.

Also...jumping over cars and jumping on to sheds?? Don't under estimate how hard this sport can be to master. Yes, you can walk in mins, take a few hops and start running in 30 mins-1 hour but to really get the hang of it takes much more effort. Even jumping needs good technique and fitness. It's not like being on a trampoline. By all means go for it. I just don't want you to have any nasty surprises when you start to use them. As I say about the sport: easy to learn, hard to master.

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 07:01:48 PM »
I was waiting for sprog but oh well.
I'm here! I'm here! Sorry, been at work all day :Claugh:
And you've covered it all already. Good work spud :Ctongue:

Offline Archie L

• EA Bocker
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 07:19:32 PM »
I thought someone would cover it, but I'd just like to add the powerskips have tilting footplates, and they *probably* make running and walking a hell of a lot easier, as you then have ankle movement (on one axis, though)

It's Cavemen vs. Gentlemen.
It's easier than it loo-
-ouch

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 07:59:09 PM »
I was waiting for sprog but oh well.
I'm here! I'm here! Sorry, been at work all day :Claugh:
And you've covered it all already. Good work spud :Ctongue:
LOL. *high five*

@archie. You are right I think. I found that anyway but then I dont like them for anything else. But they are well out of most peoples price range.

oh and Neodragus. It's probs best to play with the support rods to find what suits you best but I think having the toes pointing up slightly helps get better compression on the springs. When you run you are more bounding than running so you dont need ankles that much I find, not as much as on foot anyway probs because of the extra height, you need to make smaller movements i guess but anyhoo..that doesnt matter.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 08:30:23 PM »
I beg to differ about the transport bit

If you are comparing them to a bike forget it they are slower and harder work

If you are comparing them to walking they are quicker by about 20% (I used them for getting about at work untill I was banned) I do about 8-10 miles some days walking between jobs in london and they were quicker as for jogging I don't jog  :Claugh:

But the real fun is just being on them

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline lynch

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 08:33:26 PM »
I thought someone would cover it, but I'd just like to add the powerskips have tilting footplates, and they *probably* make running and walking a hell of a lot easier, as you then have ankle movement (on one axis, though)

i went on carls stilts over the weekend had he has the moving foot plat i found them sooo nice to run on but i couldn't get round bouncing on them it just didnt feel right for me but they are the best stilts i have run on

Offline Archie L

• EA Bocker
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 08:39:14 PM »

i went on carls stilts over the weekend had he has the moving foot plat i found them sooo nice to run on but i couldn't get round bouncing on them it just didnt feel right for me but they are the best stilts i have run on

Well, there we go :D

It's Cavemen vs. Gentlemen.
It's easier than it loo-
-ouch

Offline Neodragus

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 11:23:31 PM »
I have to say, thanks for all the great feedback, I didn't expect this much friendliness and this much feedback so quickly, I expected more like a couple days or so! I didn't mean footplates that feel like they're constantly moving, I think i'd be scared to walk on those! although, it could help it feel more natural, but... comparing those prices... i'd rather just play with a couple of bolts! xD

I was having a bit of fun saying about jumping cars and onto sheds, although, they're not that high, surely? ;p
I do do regular free running around Faversham, which is in the north of kent, which is south-east england. I was hoping these to be something that would last a long-ish time at least. Hey, if I really like them I probably won't take them off unless i'm in my house, and only then, because i'd hit my head =p. For starting off, I think as soon as I get them they'll be attached to me as if they're screwed into my legs, if they are as good as everything i've herd about them! Besides, i'm a quick learner, I hope I can learn this fairly quickly, and i'll probably spend at least an hour on them for pure fun every day, if not more! Just so I can get to grips with them quickly.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 11:25:02 PM by Neodragus »

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 07:09:41 AM »
 :Claugh:  even if you're stupidly fit, your muscles will need to adjust at first, and it'll take a short while to sort out comfort issues

oh btw there's a few people in kent (few meaning a bucketload :D)

Offline Neodragus

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 03:56:33 PM »
hell, i'm not stupidly fit! I was thinking that it would be at least 6-9 months before I could do anything flashy to be honest, I was merely talking from a POV of just been watching vid's on youtube. After my bocks come I think i'll deffinitly have to start looking for a few groups in England for my last couple months in the country.
After that, maybe extend bocking to DK if there are any people there near the København (Copenhagen to those who aren't from scandinavia and other such places).
I am in no way going to attempt anything stupid, not in the first few months anyways =p
I'll leave that to the pro's for now!