Author Topic: Bought WAY outta weight range... will springs loosen?  (Read 17347 times)

Offline RicochetBNB

Bought WAY outta weight range... will springs loosen?
« on: May 26, 2009, 06:19:01 AM »
Moving off of Jason's ouchie topic lol.  Ok so I am after bocking two days I am down to 150 lbs (68 kg) (lost 2.5 lbs already).  The bocks I bought and got Friday are Poweriser Advanced 90120, 198-266 lbs (roughly 90-121kg)... so yeah bought way outta my weight class... yes I knew that before hand lol (if you have not read my other posts already). 

Thing is IM A NEWBIE to bocking so really wasn't thinking that I would NOT be able to jump on springs as tight as these.  But like after a while will they loosen enough to jump? Some say I'm screwed to buy softer springs (can't afford $181.00 springs), others say in a while I will be doing killer insane flips and sh!t... so lol which is it?  

Also since they do not flex at all basically and I'm short and they are huge I can't stand up from being on the ground or steps even.  I had to crawl to the cars and stand up using them lol.  I tried all kinds of ways getting up like I watched on YouTube videos but nothing worked.  I even lowered my calf cuff bar (major bruises cuz they were to high anyways!) still was unable to get up.  I ended up just going and sitting on my car and putting them on so I could just stand up but if I ever get to jump and then fall... I'm going to need a car or a crane   :Claugh: :Claugh: :Claugh:!

Walking in them is easy peezy!  I can bounce from foot to foot, jog, run a bit, whatever but even trying to FORCE a jump or hold on to something and MEGA FORCE a jump I only get slightly off the ground... if I keep working on walking, bouncing, forcing jumps... they will loosen right... I WANNA BE JUMPING   :Ctongue: !!!!!!! 

They are still cool to have though either way hehe  :D!  And bockers are so much nicer than skateboarders, skaters, and all those other cats into their extreme sports.

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
Re: Bought WAY outta weight range... will springs loosen?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 09:20:39 AM »
 :Claugh: well tbh it's about 50/50 whether you fail epically or somehow crack it and get really good height, all depends on how determined you are to learn etc, as it's only been a few days it's too early to say, though you buying too strong springs is fact :P

after about 8 months - a years practice i could effectively use 90-120 springs(s-rexes, so soft in comparison to yours still :D), so it all depends on you really

oh and you WILL get pretty bad ockers back once you start going for it, learn to bound around from one foot to the other first, trying to jump on too hard springs is difficult at best

Offline RicochetBNB

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 10:39:56 AM »
Dag... why did I have to be so dumb  :Cno:?!?  I'm not giving up on these but if I get a few sales from the affiliate program and get a chance to get softer springs I guess I will.  Are they hard to change out (the springs I mean)?  Otherwise I will work on these and hope for the best.  If by Christmas it is still a no go then I will try to get softer springs then lol!  Dang though that is a ways away  :Cmask:

Would jumping off of stuff to try to break them in a bit be even dumber than it sounds haha  :Ctongue:

Offline Schoie

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 11:56:29 AM »
Mate there's always the chance someone wants to swap springs beacause they need stronger springs. So just advertise this fact and maybe someone will swap with you. They'll probably get abetter deal out of it as theirs will be worn in more but that may be better than having a pair you can't jump in and waiting until Christmas!!! That's always an option. Hopefully though if you just practise you'll wear them in enuogh. Good Luck! :thumbs:
Some People Think I'm Bonkers...
But I Just Think I'm Free...
Man I'm Just Living My Live...
There's Nothing Crazy About Me...

Offline RicochetBNB

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 12:07:17 PM »
Thanks for the idea, that is an option, but I think I will just keep working at it with what I got  :Csmile:... at least until I can get my own softer springs (if needed) lol... that way I can change back to the tighter springs later on if I need to  :Cyes:.

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
  • KATIEE :D <3
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 12:51:58 PM »
u cud keep ur hard springs for when u get better and maybe buy suumones old springs off here for a really cheap price? then u can learn to bounce on soft springs and when ur ready get ur strong ones out?

as everyone says its inevitable you will get bockers back but only for like a week while ur back muscles get bigger :P

dont let it stop u a little pain in the back is worth some good height :P if u do get pains in ur back rest for few days ;)

but other than that u better be on them bocks non stop :P mwuahahaha

i carnt spel... or maybe you cant read ;)

Offline XS

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 02:20:52 PM »
you will be able to compress them eventually and get good height out of them, but it's gonna take you a long time to learn the technique on such stiff springs.  I think the lesson here is listen to bockers rather than bock salesmen on what to get.  We reccomend 10-15 kg over weight and you went 20+kg over.

You had the right idea in your pic of holding on to something to get better compression.  I just switched out my spings from year old 90120s to brand new ones and damn they're stiff.  I can still bottom them out pretty easily but i'm 90kg and it takes a hell of a lot more effort than i'm used to.  They'll soften  in time, but there's a middle ground between them getting soft and you learning the proper technique where you'll get the height everybody wants.

So ideally, a pair of 7090's would enable you to learn much easier, but you've said that's unlikely to happen any time soon, so you've just got to stick with it. 

You could also contact the seller which you said in your other thread suggested the 90120's and tell them that they gave you bad advise and you can't use them and you want to exchange them.  Idk how well they'd take it, but as it was based on their advise its possible, and hopefully it'll make them think twice before giving the same advise to others.

Also as your in SC, you're already on the other forum and check out the capital bocking USA thread, big meet US up in Washington DC at the end of June
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 02:22:37 PM by XS »

Offline Schoie

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 04:28:19 PM »
Remember jumping on one foot then the other is a good way of loosening the springs as it's twice the weight on one spring. So just keep doing that and trying two footed jumps now and then. With my springs being like 15 kg heavier than I am to begin with it felt like a struggle to do a two footed jump but as soon as you get a little bit of height because of the added momentum you find you quickly start becoming higher and higher.
Some People Think I'm Bonkers...
But I Just Think I'm Free...
Man I'm Just Living My Live...
There's Nothing Crazy About Me...

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 08:29:11 PM »
I would say call the guy who sold them to you and explain that you have been told that they are way to heavy for you and as he recommended them it isn't unreasonable for him to exchange the springs

Offer to pay the postage and see if he will change them

So far everyone has said you are 30 kg over but the 90/120's are 90 at the low range so taking a middle ground you are punching 45 kg above your weight and on the worst case 60 kg over so you will have a hard time compressing them

Sorry to be the bad news guy but I would rather tell you now when there is a chance they will exchange them than be kind and let you scr***e them up and have no chance on swapping them

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Krofix

• Poweriser Adv. 7090
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 10:01:09 PM »
yea, I WOULD KEEP THEM because I am under 60kg and have 7090's and I bottom them out and would ike to see if 90120s would give me more height, but honestly, the whole getting up thing doesnt have to do with the spring tension, mine and many other do not even move when getting up OR when walking, so the springs arent the issue there...

I think you would be able to do it if you just kept at it!

Offline RicochetBNB

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 04:49:00 AM »
Thanks for more advice guys.  Even if I thought I had been ill advised, which I don't really because it was my decision, I was told the options and chose the 90120s.  But anyways I tore the pretective rubber that was over one spring and they now have 4 layers of tape over them so no sending back.  It's ok, I will just keep jumping from one foot to the other until they hopefully loosen some to try to JUMP JUMP!  It is one heck of a workout and I need that right now.  I need to be down to between 115-130lbs (52-59kg) or close to it by July 16th for a trip to Maui.  So far no hurting in my back, just legs a little, and stomach muscles lol. 

Offline Greggles

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • BOCK IT AND ROCK IT
    • www.eabockers.com
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 10:22:04 AM »
just hold onto a wall and jump but remember to keep your legs straight on the way down and put all your weight into your heals

Offline RicochetBNB

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 06:31:32 PM »
Ok so with that said.  This video from today (my 4th time on them) is bad cuz I was bending my legs lol?  I was just trying to force the h3ll outta the springs and make myself jump  :Becky:! hehe...

Offline XS

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 07:14:47 PM »
you're not really bending the springs at all, you're getting height with your arms.  Work them one footed, its the only way you're gonna generate enough force to bend them.  So do the same thing you're doing but jump on one foot, that should let you soften them up faster.

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 07:28:54 PM »
but the good news is you have slightly more bounce jogging, so progress is being made at least

(still need to fix that squeek :D

Offline Kazbahn

• :D
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 09:57:04 PM »
I dunno darf, if she got good, she could turn that squeak into an interesting percussive instrument...

Offline RicochetBNB

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 05:45:38 AM »
K when I get off work today I will work with them, jumping on one foot at a time lol.  Yeah if I leave the sqeek then I can get a drum and be like the weird one man band sorta deal haha... add some flips (really difficult with the band equipment) and it would be a fantastic show... paramedics standing by of course  :Cwink:  :Claugh: !

Offline RicochetBNB

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 11:58:36 AM »
Anybody know anyone wanting to get rid of a triple 8 bumsaver or anything similar for cheap?  I so need a butt pad haha!

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 07:12:33 PM »
few strips of that round pipe insulation, or swimming float thingies+duct tape=but protector

or jsut learn to roll over before you hit the floor

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 09:56:54 PM »
Get yourself a foam Kneeling pad and cut it to shape they are really cheap and cut easy

While talking about foam if you go to your local Horse feed store (big ones ) they are selling lightweight foam mats

They are about 30 mm thick and aprox 1mts x 2mts and only £18 they make really good armour if cut to shape and work as thin crash mats

Best of all they are reallt tough and last well

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline RicochetBNB

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 06:34:58 AM »
If I had money I would do all that lol.  I still need to get softer springs ($121-$181) and the carrying bag ($89.00).  Also need tire armour, Im beating the heck outta these things, foot plate front is ALL scratched up BAD, esp. since I have not built up my leg muscles enough to stand up on my own correctly or sit down correctly lol. 

Side note:  Just saw a listing on ebay (USA version) for PoweriSers but they are PoweriZers so I emailed them about it!  Am I mistaken or didn't PoweriZers have to change their name to PowerStriders?  I read that somewhere recently.  Anyone know for sure?

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2009, 08:32:52 AM »
I'm not exactly sure how that works but all of the new stock is branded under powerstriders, there is still some poweriZer stuff about. If the box says poweriZer then I guess it ok for them to be listed as poweriZers, not powerstriders. You were right to correct about the poweriSer thing. But yeah, poweriZer had to change their name to powerstrider.

Raising the footplate is seriously cheap. I mean, a couple of quid at the most. You could do it for £1 i'm sure. It's in engish money but you can still tell thats a cheap mod.

As for tire armor. Do you have halfords in the US? anyhoo, you can probably grab a tire for free if you ask at somehwere like halfords or a bike hop or something like that. They usually have some old dirty ones you can have if you ask nicely. Not everybody has been successful but it can be done. If you cant do that do something else for now. Got any gaffa tape lying around? that would do.

Don't worry about scratches. They happen, we all have scratched bocks. My footplate is pretty scratched too. But it doesn't matter ;) if they break thats something different. Getting up is an art lol.

:spudT:

Offline XS

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2009, 02:27:25 PM »
don't waste you're money on the PR bag its not worth the money, get a decent duffel bag and you'll be all set.

Offline RicochetBNB

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2009, 04:57:29 AM »
Thanks.  I probably wouldn't even have bought the bag anyways lol.  Just it's gotta be a BIG duffle bag! 

I was thinking that was the case with PoweriZer but didn't know if the site was correct or not.  I guess the rest with the PoweriZer logo are old stock maybe?

Nope no Halfords that I know of.  But maybe I could ask around at some places and see what they have laying around.  Most places here HAVE to throw away what can not be sold or sent back for repairs.  I have 4 layers of tape on it already but I'm slowly breaking threw that lol.

I dunno if I will ever be able to get up from the ground with nothing to help me get up ie a car or rails or something lol.  I've tried different ways and can only get my butt in the air hahahahaha!  Can't even get up from the ground with help from people either so far.

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2009, 08:51:20 AM »
Yeah. The poweriZer stuff probs is old stock.

If you know some places then you should be ok :) get youself a freebie tire. How are you damaging your springs?

About getting up. I cant really do it. Sometimes i can on grass but although its a good skill dont worry too much. It should come with practice. Look at the tutorials and stuff. Those techniques tend to work. Altho i usually end up splatting backwards but hey. Have you tried picking stuff up yet? Start with like a 2 litre bottle, then a small bottle, something like a hoody then money lol. It may help with getting up because once u have reached the thing how u stand up again is like the second part of it, after you have sorta pushed yourself up a bit. That probs makes no sense :D

:spudT: