Author Topic: Frame life-span  (Read 10963 times)

Offline varekprops

Frame life-span
« on: May 30, 2009, 02:27:51 PM »
Hey folks

Short-time reader, first-time poster. I just have a quickie question about the longevity of Powerskip parts.

We currently use a pair of Powerskip Standards as part of a show. They are used for max 20 minutes per show, for basic travel and a few small tricks.

I've figured out that, including rehearsal times, and being incredibly generous, that the Skips have suffered through up to 1300 hours of wear. The springs have been replaced a number of times, but the frame is - to my knowledge- the original.

So my question is, what's the usual life-span on a set of Powerskip frames? I've been sifting through the forums, but while I can find a tonne of info on the life-span of springs, there's next to nothing on the longevity of the frame.

I would be loathe to replace them unnecessarily (given the cost, and our budget restrictions) but at the same time I'm not about to skimp on costs at the price of safety.

I'm also looking for a link to any info on basic maintenance that I can be doing on the Skips to keep them in good shape, and keep them running for as long as possible. Again, I've had a look around, but haven't found anything yet (which doesn't mean it's not there, it just means that my eyes are faulty)

Thanks guys. The forum has been an amazing resource. I inherited the Skips as part of my job about 3 months ago, and the forum has been the one thing keeping me from tearing my hair out in frustration - I knew nothing about them (though I know more now!), and the artist that uses them barely speaks enough English to explain what's needed..

Cheers,

Jo

Offline masterking09

Re: Frame life-span
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 02:37:29 PM »
how long they last completely depends on how hard they are used. 

If you are pushing the springs to the limit every time (bottoming out) then the frames wont last nearly as long as if you are just walking and doing some easy jumping.

If you are just doing some simple stuff and not really pushing it, then powerskip frames should last you quite a while.

There is no definitive time anybody could give you.  It has too many variables to consider.

If you are worried about a breakage though i would replace all the bushings and all four of the brackets that hold the springs.

Offline chocl8

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for Backflip?
    • EA Bockers - It's in the Springs!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 02:56:09 PM »
I believe some one once told me, although i could be wrong, that Swebounce go through god knows how many springs, but only changed their frames once after about 4 years. No ideas how many hours etc they use theres, but i imagine it is a lot. However from what you are describing as doing, they do far more heavy duty stuff, so the stresses would be a lot more i imagine. Just out of interest what is your show? :)

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 04:59:39 PM »
All you really need to do is make sure the joints are all clean and well lubricated (silicon or graphite based lubricants are best - although powerskip recommend vaseline!), and monthly ensure all the bolts are tight and haven't moved.
Also check your stabiliser rods to ensure they are in the same place, as if they do the footplate may twist which in turn can warp the frame. As long as you keep an eye on that, they should last you many years.

TundraH uses Skips and has had them for almost 2 years now and they're still going strong, and he puts them through a lot (He can't flip, but he's generally known as "the spring slayer" as he completely destroys springs ;D )

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 10:16:52 PM »
I have only had one major frame part failure on Projumps in about 3 years and that was due to slaming it into a concrete step and my set of Skips/PJ hybrids have had a years hard use and the frames are like new

The main cause of frame damage it bearings wearing and rotating in the frame (so they enlarge and the bearings become loose) Skips don't suffer from this due to a different bearing material (Glass filled Nylon in Skips and plain Nylon in most others)

I replace all my bearings with Glass filles Nylon ones and have had no problems at all

Maintenance I would suggest is same as Sprog said keep your bearings tight and you should have very little trouble

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Kiola

• Elite Member
  • Nuttier than Squirrel Poo..
    • www.SimeonKiola.com
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 07:49:50 PM »
Frame metal can still tear though.. so always over look every part of your stilt every other week or so, i left mine too late and realised my Control Leaver (the Pieve of metal between my foot and the Spring) was nearly ripped in half and a very random place.. :P

Just keep checking your Metal and joints for fractures. or one day it could tear in half and you might hurt yourself (this applies to all brands of stilts)

New Vids;
The London Eye - By SimeonKiola
First Class - Car Flip Show 2013
Simeon Kiola 2012   

Currently Working Full time Self Employed International Stilts Acrobat/Entertainer

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 07:54:33 PM »
Does it matter if there is little nicks in frame due to falling over?

DC

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 01:57:30 AM »
No, thats just cosmetic damage really. Only worry if things are bent/broken/falling apart. A few scratches/nicks wont effect the strength of the frame but do check there is no other damage if it happens when you fall or whatever. Most scratches happen when my bocks are in transit i think tho .

Offline Kiola

• Elite Member
    • www.SimeonKiola.com
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 12:08:51 PM »
Yea Scratches are a bit different to Fractures, Scratches are Fine but fractures are Bad!!  :Ceek:

New Vids;
Simeon Kiola 2012   

Currently Working Full time Self Employed International Stilts Acrobat/Entertainer

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 04:05:46 PM »
Fractures?

Offline Kiola

• Elite Member
    • www.SimeonKiola.com
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 06:49:18 PM »
The metal can sometimes 'Fracture' and this is what i meant before when i was talking about metal Tares..

If you find a line going through the metal and its visible on the other side of the metal also this would normaly be a Fracture in the Metal that will only slowly get bigger and bigger! so keep an eye out for them.. they are very uncommon but they are still worth looking out for.

New Vids;
Simeon Kiola 2012   

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 07:54:46 PM »
Kiola means hairline fractures, they generally occur near moving areas or in one case right across the middle of the lower frame, they're generally quite hard to spot. In 3 years I've seen about 3 frames with them though, it's just wear and tear on the metal or missed quality control. It happens occasionally but it's nothing to worry or panic about.

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
O, so they are rare to get then :)

Offline Zeri

• I'm learning!
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 06:57:00 AM »
How about on the hoof? Where the spring bracket connects to the hoof, I can move it left and right slightly.

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 08:35:13 AM »
What stilts do you have? Skips?? The most likely thing it is is worn bushings. Set about replacing them or just checking them to see if is the problem and in future spray them with silicone spray and you will find they last a good while longer.

Edit: having see your other post i see you do have skips. I have no experience with them and i dont know how common the problem above is with them. Somebody else will be more helpful.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 08:39:15 AM by Spud »

Offline Kiola

• Elite Member
    • www.SimeonKiola.com
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 10:59:39 AM »
Being able to move that area might mean that the metal around your Bush's has worn away slightly.. or that the bush's themselves have worn away.. i would try taking them apart and having a look if your able too asap.

New Vids;
Simeon Kiola 2012