Author Topic: Flips on grass?  (Read 6291 times)

Offline Glasto_Bocker

Flips on grass?
« on: June 15, 2009, 04:44:12 PM »
I've been thinking a lot about flips, but obviously want to get it right without bocks before attempting it on bocks.

Has anyone practiced flips [bockless] on grass? I was thinking to practice, but am slightly unsure about the possible pain involved should I make a mistake.

I've got the technique in my head, and can front flip well from 1 & 3 metre boards at a pool, but of course grass is another matter. I was considering to perhaps flip off of something, perhaps a metre off the grass to gain better height before going from standing / run up over level ground.

I know I should use a gym with crash mats, but I don't have access to one in my area at the moment [currently in Glasto'], hence my suggestion of other methods.

Thoughts?

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
Re: Flips on grass?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 04:57:17 PM »
i've done it a bit, as long as you don't land on your back/ass it doesn't hurt really, though expect to get grass stains/muddy a lot

flips from concrete onto grass are the best of both worlds, grip on the concrete, then the grass for a soft landing

though it's still a better idea to at least get 75% of the rotation on crashmats

you just don't want me to crack flips before you do  :Claugh:

Offline chocl8

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for Backflip?
    • EA Bockers - It's in the Springs!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 05:06:46 PM »
I've been thinking a lot about flips, but obviously want to get it right without bocks before attempting it on bocks.

Has anyone practiced flips [bockless] on grass? I was thinking to practice, but am slightly unsure about the possible pain involved should I make a mistake.

I've got the technique in my head, and can front flip well from 1 & 3 metre boards at a pool, but of course grass is another matter. I was considering to perhaps flip off of something, perhaps a metre off the grass to gain better height before going from standing / run up over level ground.

I know I should use a gym with crash mats, but I don't have access to one in my area at the moment [currently in Glasto'], hence my suggestion of other methods.

Thoughts?

I blagged an old mattress and some cushions etc, makes a lovely homemade crash mat. Coming down from the height bocks give you might not be too good, not sure, never bailed on it, but i learnt to front flip on my feet on to it, could be worth asking around for some stuff :)

Offline ricky35

• Welsh Bockers
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 05:15:24 PM »
To be honest if I were you I would definitely learn to flip on some sort of crash mat(or equivalent). Once you've got the basic technique then you can just get rid of the mat underneath u, as long as u do exactly the same thing you should be ok.

After a break of about 1.5 months of bocking due to exams i could hardly jump on my s-rex's. But after about 10 minutes I was ready to start flipping again. A number of times i just hit my bum on the ground and it didn't hurt at all, and then others i nearly land them bu always jared my back so it winded me, the only other body part that hurt was if my arms went backwards to break my fall.

Hope that helps but i might have gone on to pointless advice :Cwink:

Ricky
<a href="http://www.welshbockers.co.uk/signature.swf" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.welshbockers.co.uk/signature.swf</a>

Offline Glasto_Bocker

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »
DG: Damn, you sussed my plan!! Ha, no but seriously we should both get our flips sorted then we can do work for that performer chap we met!

Cheers chocl8, a mattress is actually a genius idea, now I think of it. But not entirely sure how I can get hold of an old one.

Alright, will perhaps make an attempt at going from feet before flipping off things above the ground. I suppose running flips are easier?

Offline Kazbahn

• :D
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 08:44:25 PM »
You could start with running flips where you jump from small obstacles, say... 1 foot tall....

That way, you have speed AND height advantages, to carry you up and over.

Offline chocl8

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for Backflip?
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 08:57:52 PM »
Cheers chocl8, a mattress is actually a genius idea, now I think of it. But not entirely sure how I can get hold of an old one.

Dump/recycling place?

You need too run into front flips, makes them so much easier =]

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 08:58:58 PM »
oh and if you get to teh point of bokcing flips on grass, tiresocks/hoofies are a must, even on dry grass (curse you 7s feet :D)

Offline Glasto_Bocker

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 09:13:54 PM »
Could try a dump, yeah. Not exactly very appealing launching myself onto a dirty mattress with little idea of which part of me will land on it though! But might give it a go...

Might make a start on grass though, at least with handstand flips to get confident. May try tomorrow if the weather's decent.

DG: What's wrong with the 7's feet? I've never had problems..

Offline chocl8

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for Backflip?
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 09:24:14 PM »
Could try a dump, yeah. Not exactly very appealing launching myself onto a dirty mattress with little idea of which part of me will land on it though! But might give it a go...

Might make a start on grass though, at least with handstand flips to get confident. May try tomorrow if the weather's decent.

DG: What's wrong with the 7's feet? I've never had problems..

Fair enough! I see your point, i got mine from just down the road, someone was throwing it out.

DG, 7's feet have the best grip on grass out of all hooves i've tried...which is most of them. On dry grass i have never had a problem with them, and think them equal to tire socks.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 09:40:16 PM »
I saw a couple of guys practicing flips into a sand pit might be a bit softer than grass just make sure the sand is dry as wet sand is hard

So lets invade a golf course and use the bunkers  :Claugh:

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 10:02:22 PM »
heh in regards to 7s feet, they definately don't grip too well on a hill in a muddy forest, and i've always had to be careful on grass with em, could just be me taking too long a stride or something

Offline chocl8

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for Backflip?
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 10:06:44 PM »
on a hill in a muddy forest

Could be a problem.

Offline Glasto_Bocker

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 10:37:16 PM »
don't grip too well on a hill in a muddy forest

Hilarious!!

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 10:56:51 PM »
I got to admit I found 7 hoofs to be slippy in the wet but I only had a set for about 3 days so I might have not worn them in then they had to go back as I kept bottoming them
Maybe when I loose a couple of stone I'll try them again  :Claugh:

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK: