Author Topic: Looking to buy  (Read 8932 times)

Offline Exelcior

Looking to buy
« on: June 29, 2009, 07:04:20 PM »
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy some bocks but after reading for a few hours on the forum I see that a number of people find they need to exceed the +10kg rule and end up on heavier rated springs. I weigh about 73kg so should be looking at m80s or 90s but I don't want to have to spend £80 on some more springs in 3 months if it's avoidable. So does anyone have any advice/experiences that would help? should I get m100s and "grow" into them?

Offline Hilly-of-the-Marshes

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
Re: Looking to buy
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 07:18:07 PM »
It depends m8, personally i see a lot to be gained from not upping the weight much until you are already bouncing confidently, i think it gets you there more quickly, however on the money side of it, you have to spend more on gradually increasing the weight of springs and have to buy several sets even if they are not worn out, when push comes to shove, its your call - it your own money

Offline Exelcior

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 07:28:56 PM »
I suppose I could get the 100s and then if it's too much buy a lower set, either way it's spending the same money.

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 07:40:03 PM »
Hilly is spot on. Depends on how you take to them. Some people took to them fast and went just 10kg and needed to upgrade soon but others went like 20 kg and struggled to progress. You will probs have read about both types of stories. If you go for 100s you are at risk of being put off by how hard it is. Starting low should help you get good technique fast.

:spudT:

Offline Exelcior

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
Yeah I've read about both . . . Just don't want to wait ages for the 90s to come back in stock to be honest again looking around the forums it seems as if there's a lot of demand for those weights and very low stock with long replenishment times.

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 07:56:49 PM »
It shouldnt be all that long now. Naz should be able to confirm. I think there is always more demand for the lower weights. There wont be low stock once these come back in and this shouldnt happen again :P

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 08:19:11 PM »
'growing into springs'? well r u still growing? If 1 may b so bold, how old r u?
2nd where r u>?  good chance you could bag a 'try out' of the goods with a local club or individual
As for short of stock. Das cos there is a very slow boat from china with the goods on. Once it is here , there will b a glut od all weights --case of all or nothing.

Offline Exelcior

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 08:32:02 PM »
'growing into springs'? well r u still growing? If 1 may b so bold, how old r u?
2nd where r u>

I'm 19, not growing any more :P By "growing" I meant developing the skills to be able to handle heavier springs, not physically growing. I've placed a pre-order for a lower weight now, just hope that they come in soon so I can still get some use of them throughout what is left of the summer. Oh and I'm from Newcastle Upon Tyne.

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 08:36:40 PM »
awesome - i'm hopin 2 be just south of u next year for uni - we'll have 2 meet up - should hopefully be starting in october

Offline Exelcior

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 08:38:56 PM »
That's awesome I'd hoped there'd be other people around this area to bock with. Where you going to uni? I'm studying Computer Game Software Engineering and Architecture at Northumbria at the moment.

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 08:42:40 PM »
I'm hopin 2 be at Teeside - so Middlesbrough - depending on results - funnily enough planning to study computer games programming

btw i know there's probably some sort of rivalry there - but bocking conquers all
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 08:51:38 PM by Hilly-of-the-Marshes »

Offline Exelcior

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 08:52:11 PM »
Ahh your course is very similar to mine I believe, sounds like we might have a lot in common actually  :Claugh:

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 08:54:12 PM »
Then i turn up dressed as a woman, lol - which tbh with my hair, people think i do anyway

Offline Exelcior

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 08:59:51 PM »
Lol, no crossdressed bocking please :P

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 09:04:26 PM »
it could be a halloween thing...? lol.

But ye i dont think there's much up there in the way of bocking at the moment - as i understand it, the largest group anywhere close by is the bradford lot, (correct me if I'm wrong) though it would be a cool project to start a group from scratch and promote the sport in a new area

(However i will of course be an EA at heart forever)

Offline Exelcior

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 09:10:56 PM »
Yeah it would be good to try and promote it a little more up here, don't think I've seen anyone on them at all around here.

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 09:15:48 PM »
i saw someone on the pro-jump map, but with that few people up there, unless you find someone at the right time - they can end up as bits of rubbish covered in dust at the back of the garden shed, but keep at it and you'll hopefully tempt more - and the bigger community you have, the more people will join

Offline Exelcior

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 09:24:15 PM »
Yeah definitely, hopefully if we manage to get out sometime just seeing it happen will bring interest

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 09:28:50 PM »
I can already see T-shirts with "Tyne/Tees Bockers," or "Hartlepool Hoppers" printed on them - how sad am i, mind you i doubt any of it will matter given that i think iv got about a grade lower than what i need to get in  :Ccry:

Offline Exelcior

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 09:32:34 PM »
Damn that sucks. . . if they don't let you in see if you can get clearing onto Northumbrias course. I'm finding it great so far, just finished my first year.

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 09:36:26 PM »
I've already got dibs on a bocking game for my dissertation, lol but i'm planning to make it an indie project afterwards, cos i want complete creative control (sssshhh), hehe

Offline Exelcior

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 09:38:33 PM »
Hehe we've got somewhat of a deal with Northumbria on our ideas they don't own them. But they do own the documents presented to them. Means we can still develop our ideas independently without the uni mooching off us

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 09:41:47 PM »
When i get outta uni, we can work on it together, lol - do you have the year in industry thing as well, and what language do you use? Java, C++? iv tried an old compiler of my brother's - Dark Basic, and its so horrible i could cry - its not even got any proper structure, C++ ftw

Offline Exelcior

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 09:44:06 PM »
I work nearly solely in C++, but I know 86000ASM, Java, C#, C, Fortran, Heskell and Delphi. We have the year in industry yeah in the third year, working on a project now to present for my placement.

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 09:47:37 PM »
I think i've heard of most of those  :Cconfused: exceptions being 86000ASM and Heskell, looked at a little Delphi when we were supposed to be doing work in computing lessons though + Pascal to learn about objects. What companies are you looking at for placement

(WOW we are so off topic)