Author Topic: hi all first stilts  (Read 7265 times)

Offline earlybird124

hi all first stilts
« on: July 09, 2009, 02:09:12 PM »
 :Cbiggrin:
hi everyone
well i got my first pair of power stilts on tuesday
i tried them on straight away lol i dont think i did 2 bad for my first go managed to walk about a bit in the front room ....lol
i tried getting up off the floor but it just wasnt happening lol
tried again the day after and still could not do it hopefully this weekend i'll be able to get outside on them and practice practice practice getting up.
i found that the top of the springs were digging into the back of my leg above the knee i now got 2 huge bruises....lol
i have since put a piece of mouse mat (only thing i had to hand) and taped the top of the springs hopefully it wont hurt to much next time.
i have also Self-Adherent Bandage  then taped the full length of my springs not sure how this will work out thought it might help having a bit of padding under the tape.
not sure what make my stilts are as my partner got me them from fleabay for my birthday.
will hopefully get some pics up after weekend. woo hoo i love it.
any tips or advice for a first timer would be great.

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
Re: hi all first stilts
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 02:22:46 PM »
don't forget pads, wristguards especially if you don't already have/use them

Offline earlybird124

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 02:26:21 PM »
 oh yes i forgot to say i have all the safety gear incl a helmet
hopefully in a few weeks i'll be doing a few of these  :Becky:  :Straddle5: :PJ101John:

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 07:15:32 PM »
If you still get the bruises try searching on here as a few people have used flipflops to raise the footplate to cure this problem

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Kazbahn

• :D
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 09:14:25 PM »
Also, if you want to get better faster, try and find a local group to practice with. Where abouts are you?

Offline Hilly-of-the-Marshes

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 09:53:01 PM »
Also, if you want to get better faster, try and find a local group to practice with. Where abouts are you?

lookin 4 more North Easterners eh Kaz?

Offline earlybird124

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 02:02:39 AM »
Im in stockton on tees not sure if there are any local groups.
I'll defo look into the flipflop idea if its still hurting i might make some tyre guards for my springs yet got a spare bike in shed with 2 new tyres on might as well make use of them lol

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 11:30:04 AM »
Im in stockton on tees not sure if there are any local groups.
I'll defo look into the flipflop idea if its still hurting i might make some tyre guards for my springs yet got a spare bike in shed with 2 new tyres on might as well make use of them lol

lol no groups yet, but we're looking into it - I'm hoping to be in Middlesbrough by october, Kazbahn and a couple of others are already in the same region (hence my previous post)

lookin 4 more North Easterners eh Kaz?

see?

Offline Kazbahn

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 08:21:58 PM »
see?

I am looking for more north eastern bockers, but i never expect it to actually happen :P

@ earlybird124; if you fancy a meet in newcastle at some point, i'm sure we could arrange it, there's a few people around who are getting/just got stilts, so we could perhaps have a meet some time during the school holidays.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 08:24:20 PM by Kazbahn »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 08:50:35 PM »
Off topic but I must ask

What is your picture Kazbahan I have looked at it all ways and just can't figure it out and it's driving me mad  :Claugh:

Jason  :Hoofies2:  :CGEEK:

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 09:04:06 PM »
I believe due to the caption it is a creature he has made on the terribad, yet incredibly addictive game - Spore

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 09:38:12 PM »
Arhh not come across that one I'm a 1st person shooter fan myself so not supprising

It does look a bit Unreal/Doomish

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline wilbo

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 09:32:20 AM »
i'd be up for a meet i'm just down the road in darlington

Offline Kazbahn

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 11:14:04 PM »
If you're up for a meet in newcastle, that's great, i cant believe there's suddenly so many people up for meets in the north east area.

And yeah, jason, it is something made in spore, i was trying to get an animated gif of it doing a back flip, but i couldnt get the gif to actually move, and anyway.... it sucks... i'll have to change it some time... it was meant to look like some sort of bocker.

but yeah, wilbo, i'd be up for a meet some time in Newcastle, we'll need to get some people together for it though. have to organise a date and do some calling around.

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 10:03:32 AM »
i cant believe there's suddenly so many people up for meets in the north east area.

think you'll find it's that time of year, when everyone has more free time after exams and suchlikes, os everyone's out bocking more, then by about easter time, the work will build up again, and everyone that has stuff like uni will bock less through the spring/summer (which sucks cause that's the best weather >.<)

Offline Kazbahn

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 05:52:00 PM »
i cant believe there's suddenly so many people up for meets in the north east area.

think you'll find it's that time of year, when everyone has more free time after exams and suchlikes, os everyone's out bocking more, then by about easter time, the work will build up again, and everyone that has stuff like uni will bock less through the spring/summer (which sucks cause that's the best weather >.<)

Good point there Darf...

Offline barebum

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2009, 02:03:42 PM »
hii just got my pro jump silts but i am struggleing to even stand any tips ?

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2009, 02:52:07 PM »
hi there and merry chrimbl.

1st off ,'dont panic'  its seems impossible at 1st

2nd  keep thinking and remembering 'every step gets easier'

3rd where r u,  r u near other bockers?  will be easier and loads more fun 2 learn with others

4th  relax

5th  walk on your heals not balls of feet

6th   str8 back and head uprite ----keeps centre of gravity vetical--from top of head down to hooves

7th  dont look down..u r only 12 inch higher than normal...focus on somat in mid distance  about 5-8 feet above the ground

8th  dont go out in the wet ----yet

well so endeth the 1st lesson ---lunch is about 2 b served

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2009, 03:49:29 PM »
I'm just going to say this. It seems obvious to those who have stilted/bocked before but if you are learning..not so.

Put them on sitting somewhere high. Get a hand and get pulled up. Try and get to a wall or somewhere you can nicely hold on to and take little steps. You can't actually "stand" on bocks. You have to constantly keep taking little steps to keep your balance. So just hold on to a wall or something and keep taking the tiny steps and you will eventually feel confident enough to let go, even if it is only for a few seconds. With some practice you will be standing in no time..then you can walk..

If you have somebody you can hold on to walk around with it will help you too. Its just getting a feel for it really.

Happy Christmas

Where abouts do you live? You might be near others :)

:spudT: