Author Topic: Freerunning on stilts  (Read 6355 times)

Offline McSweeney

Freerunning on stilts
« on: July 28, 2009, 03:17:05 PM »
Hi, i'm new to this.. My stilts should be getting here tomorrow :Cbiggrin:

I used to do free running and was wondering if when i get good, is it safe to do vaults and things whith the springs?

Also, is there a maximum height you can drop from (Like jumping off of a ledge on to the floor)???

Thanks, McSweeney

Offline XS

Re: Freerunning on stilts
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 03:56:44 PM »
you can't do a lot of the parkour style legs through your arms vaults cause your legs are 18 inches longer, but you can do side vaults over very high railings which is fun. 

As for high drops that's up to you, your equipment, and your ability.  I've seen some pretty high drops 6ft+, at that point your almost guaranteed to bottom out the springs but you can absorb the impact with your knees if your expecting it.

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 04:09:31 PM »
There is a lovelly lil video around of 'Athoul' vaulting over a swing! May I ask where abouts you are from? There may be others near you

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 04:45:10 PM »
6ft vaults are fine
[youtube=425,350]nvUfUWY667w[/youtube]

The biggest drop I've seen is this (7ft)
[youtube=425,350]NreU5L1-PAQ[/youtube]

I think this is the closest anyone has gotten to freerunning on bocks.
[youtube=425,350]Lxf8M7Y6c4I[/youtube]
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 04:52:45 PM by sprog »

Offline McSweeney

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 06:26:37 PM »
Thanks, this has helped a lot :)

And i'm from Great Yarmouth..

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 06:38:19 PM »
Hey!
Welcome to the EA's! There is a group of us in east anglia. Not many meets going on at the mo but when I organise some we have meets in Norwich. Would be good to see you at a meet some time. I live near Acle. There is another guy in yarmouth. Not spoken to him in a while but he worked at joyland. And there are a couple of guys at the hippadrome using them atm but the guy I spoke to lives in Norwich.

:spudT:

Offline McSweeney

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 06:48:50 PM »
I'd love to come to one of the meets, it would help me because i don't know anybody else with the stilts, so just being with other people doing it would probably help. Just let me know when one is coming up:)

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 07:33:25 PM »
The only vault I can think of that would be particularly difficult on Bocks would be a cat-pass (kong) but I certainly don't think it's impossible. A lot of people find it 'impossible' to touch their toes. Most people don't think you can monkey vault with straight legs...but with sufficient flexibility and power to give you the extra height over the bar or wall I really think any vault would be possible. You should be able to all the same things - just not all the same things in the same places. Oh and pop vaults might require some kind of mod.

...waaaay more trouble than it would be worth! lol. And completely inefficient and pointless! ^_^ ...But possible. lol.

...and I suddenly realise I'm talking about PK not Free-running. D'oh! =/ I'd be impressed if someone managed a 2-step wall inward side on bocks! lol.

Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 08:16:21 PM »
I'd love to come to one of the meets, it would help me because i don't know anybody else with the stilts, so just being with other people doing it would probably help. Just let me know when one is coming up:)
It's tonnes more fun with others and you learn faster. Keep an eye out on here for meets and I will remind you if I remember :D

:spudT:

Offline Alessio

• Alessio the Ferret
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 11:56:55 AM »
I reckon that you could pull most the tricks off, but certain ones (notibly the precision jump and the kong vault) could be a bit awkward to start off with. By all means give it a shot... I intend to X3 I'll post up the images of my broken limbs when I've had a shot ;)