Author Topic: Capital Bockering 2010  (Read 35457 times)

Offline Squeeker

Re: Capital Bockering 2010
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2010, 05:06:09 PM »
Surely to save all this arguing about where to hold capital bocking, shouldn't we just move it around each year. Not to any old place, but to where the main groups are, then it goes down to those groups to organise it and where it goes in their area. So one year say the EA bockers organise it between them keeping us all updated and we go to them, then the next say us Riser raptors could do it, then you come to us. That way its not the same person organising it and its not down to one person to do it alone, just spread the load. Also it would, hopefully, end this arguing. If people argue on who does it, then we hold a raffle like thing, we could post a video to prove its a valid raffle etc. Then alls fair. Also, this gets more people involved as some who may not be able to travel to cardiff or london may be able to travel to other areas.  :)  And ofcourse, this gets more of the public involved, and different public each year :L

Just expressing a pretty spontanious thought :P

Feel free to criticise,
Squeeker

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2010, 07:07:41 PM »
I like that idea Matt :P
only problem is that it is unfair to groups like TV bockers, the area they are in doesn't seem big enough to hole 100 odd stilters in :S
DC

Offline Squeeker

« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2010, 07:20:11 PM »
But still, is it makes it more fair for more people in my opinion, they would be at no more of a disadvantage as they are now, and if they found a place near them, they could give it a go, and anyways, every group doesn't HAVE to take up the responsibility, groups just volunteer it :P

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2010, 07:56:19 PM »
The problem with that idea is that some groups don't want to run CB
And some are very small and couldn't afford to organize it

A little bit like me saying why don't you organise CD Squeeker (what group do you belong to by the way)

First year it was just a meet with a planned route (thanks to ET) and new and good fun

We were very lucky that Locky and the welsh bockers did such a good job a couple of years ago

Last year it was a last min thing and although the organisers did a good job it suffered due to being rushed

If we kept it to just a meet with a theme it could be held anywhere and be good fun

Trouble is people now want a CB like the Welsh Bockers gave us and that for most groups is a bridge to far

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline GIZMOQUEEN

• Elite Member
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2010, 08:03:37 PM »
very true :Cfrown:

Offline Squeeker

« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2010, 08:07:05 PM »
I'm with the Riser Raptors, and actually, one of the reasons I said this idea was because I would hapilly give it a go at organising CB :L Preferably with my groups help though :P But with DC I reckon I wouldn't be able to keep him out of it :L Basically my idea would have been what DC said about plymouth a few posts back, and i believe he has crash mats at home that we would be able to bring out if we had car help :L

But as i said earlier, it was a spontanious thought XD

Squeeker

Offline Squeeker

« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2010, 08:08:47 PM »
The problem with that idea is that some groups don't want to run CB

Groups would volunteer anyhows :P

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2010, 09:00:03 PM »
I am getting confused now, Jason he is in Riser Raptors with me (real name Matt).
Matt Plymouth or even Exeter is not possible, is such a drive for most people, we are the middle of nowhere :P
DC

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2010, 09:02:45 PM »
Sounds like a plan Squeeker

So what date are you setting as we are in june already  :Claugh: and we normaly hold it in june  :Cbiggrin:

Or did you mean next year  :Cbiggrin:

All kidding aside I would happily come to Plymouth for CB

So why don't we change it to City Bocking that opens a lot more venues

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2010, 09:04:47 PM »
Scared Scared Scared :P damn you Squeeker's :P I shall get you for this at the meet tomorrow :P if it is the last thing I do.
Although I would be happy to put forward the Riser Raptors to organize it for next year :)
DC

Offline Squeeker

« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2010, 09:37:23 PM »
Yeah, im happy to help organise for next year :P And yeah, city bocking sounds good, but not as catchy a name :P Maybe National bocking or something like that :P

So what date are you setting as we are in june already :Claugh: and we normaly hold it in june  :Cbiggrin:

Isn't it July :L

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2010, 09:42:13 AM »
Putting 'something' together, isnt actually that difficult.  Split things up and think of it as a few small tasks and not 1 BIG DEAL.

Mostly its an expansion of what people already do. Just nice to put 1 or 2 original 'twists'in, more so if 1 goes for a 2 day/weekend event.  Finding hotels/camp sites is not much more than a lil bit of googling and emails.

The problems? Well 1 may have no problems when there are 6 , 10 or 15 people bouncing about in a location. But what will authorities do if they suddenly spot 50 + peeps on their cameras ? If 1 doesnt want to go down the official permission route ( that will probably mean getting insurance), then 1 has to be pretty certain to the area is OK.

We are mainly talking about doing these events in large urban areas. Finding the 'somat different' to do on a 2nd day may not be that easy. Whilst budget hotels may be readily to hand, camp sites may not.

So if thinking of running a 'big' event.  Start thinking/planning now.

Find your main location and make sure you have a 'history' of using it. Invite other groups/individuals  to join you. Builds numbers and acceptability in an area. Gets word out about a place and gives confidence that a big event can be put together ( in both onesself  and for others). Also post pix and videos of the 'bock spots'. people know what to expect to see in LNDN Cardiff or Pompy. The guys in Brum and leeds seem to have a good time. But where EXACTLY :Csmile:.

Work out the logistics ( accomodation,free/cheap parking, people to meet visitors at stations, places to get food , loos etc) as I said thats just a bit of googling and then plonking on a google map.

Lots of words, but not really much to do. As always I also like to push the idea of more 'regional' events. In the south here there is a circle of us who are just a couple of hours drive/tain apart at most. With somewhere like Basingstoke an hour or less for a great many of us. So once a month or every 5/6 weeks we really should be thinking of bigger get togethers. And at these meets eventually start trying the treasure hunts, sports events or wotever.

To match this there was the NEWC / Sky High meet a week or so ago.  Then from these larger regional meets 1 or 2 BIG events a year might evolve.  To jump from rounding up 6-10 people to bounce about 1's own town centre and park for a few hours on a Saturday afternoon to a weekend event for dozens of people is too much for many to contemplate

Bit jumbled up all the above, but hope u get the drift

And lastly dont be intimidated by the 'legend of Cardiff 'o8'  A great event ( which even the weather couldnt quite dent). But , it was an amazing venue, with loads of people...that was the main thing. The camp site , sorry gotta b said ranks ( in my 30 odd years of camping --the tent type b4 Toddy makes a comment) v near possibly at the bottom, erm 1 gents toilet and that had no lite bulb ( possibly a blessing, cos it ment u couldnt quite tell how insanitary the place was :Cyes:)...I did complain ( think I was told somat like 'live with it'), bar ( only amenity) closed at 8....as I mentioned above camp sites in urban areas R ' problematic'.

IF a 2 day event  cant be sustained annually ( or bi annually)  then sorry dismiss as history...cos what is needed is a sustainably sport.

But 2 day events can b done, maybe relearned how to do. Certainly a 2nd day will be 'difficult' to fill entertainingly. Das why peeps should keep throwing up ideas ( and others shouldnt kneejerkingly say no)   and 1 or to from the resultant menu may fit

« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 06:17:03 PM by Bbmthbloke »

Offline Squeeker

« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2010, 07:31:12 PM »
I'm thinking, it might be worth research in your area, if you think about holding a large even, I may do that, get into contact with possible sponsors, and the council to see what could be done etc.

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2010, 10:42:19 AM »
I actually love Squeekers idea and even if local groups dont want to host CB or might not have the manpower to host it, at least the opportunity is there if they wish to.
Also different people in different area will have local authorities willing to be involved (some less and some more than others). In Cardiff we had none and we made do.

I dont think having it central is needed. Sure Plymouth is down south and not very practical for people in Leeds or up Scotland but thats fine. They would have the chance for it to be local to them another year. I'd happily come to Plymouth for the weekend. Personally I think anyone who has a car and isn't willing to drive 4 hours to get to a big event like this is really holding themselves back. It's really worth the effort and great to meet everyone and get together and get some bocking done.
I agree with Q for once, the location is important and if CB was at a smaller area for bocking then I think a closer eye needs to be kept on the numbers attending.

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2010, 10:56:10 AM »
I like it too. The last couple of CBs have been a little rushed or desperate imo and I think the reason is because there is an expectation for somebody else to do it. I think sharing it out would be a great idea.

Suggestion:
Each year groups volunteer themselves to host CB. Stick group names in a hat and see who is drawn out. If a group hosts a CB then they are not allowed enter again for say 2 years to give everybody a chance to host it.

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2010, 10:45:44 PM »
Good idea for next year, but I think we need to sort this year first... To be honest I would love to come to Cardiff, even if it's just a small day out

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2010, 10:50:51 PM »
I think we could arrange a meet up in cardiff for the summer. Not anything on the scale of CB but I know sprog, becky and athoul want to arrange a day to come down so no reason why anyone else who wants to come cant come down.
It would have to be arranged properly though. This time of year the oval basin where we bock is used a lot for festivals and its either full of stalls or totally fenced off so I'd need to talk to cardiff events and tie it in on a day when the basin was free.

Offline SNuD

• PJF Contributor
    • N.E.W.C. Powerbockers
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2010, 08:22:04 AM »
Now the NEWCs would like to come to Cardiff,  :Cyes:
Providing it didn't clash with people on their Summer Hols. Namely me! LOL  :Claugh:
Keep us posted particularly when you have a date so I can drum up support and fill the car..

Growing OLD is compulsory. Growing UP is optional. OPT OUT!

Offline Squeeker

« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2010, 11:26:57 AM »
That would be good if this year you could just get a date and then anyone can turn up, but try and get the date a fair amount in advance please :) Train tickets and all. I would happily come down, and I reckon a fair amount of us Riser Raptors would want to as we are starting to want to go to new areas to Bock in :L

Squeeker

Offline TomH999

• http://leedsbockers.webs.com
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2010, 11:42:33 AM »
Id happily come down

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2010, 10:43:14 PM »
I got quite a few that would be happy to come :) should be driving soon so could bring a few Riser Raptors with me :P all depends on the date now ... you got a rough idea?
DC

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2010, 10:44:45 PM »
I shall call cardiff council events team tomorrow and see if they can check the diary. I need to chase them for some money anyway :)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 10:46:25 PM by Locky »

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2010, 10:47:48 PM »
Why thank you, would be nice, never been to Cardiff :O
(Squeeker) I guess Daryl has no choice but to come up if it's Wales :P might be able to crash at his house for the night :D
DC

Offline Squeeker

« Reply #98 on: July 08, 2010, 11:40:27 AM »

(Squeeker) I guess Daryl has no choice but to come up if it's Wales :P might be able to crash at his house for the night :D
DC

Too right :P

Squeeker

Offline Hammy

• Voted RR's Group Clown
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2010, 01:53:03 PM »
Ok this sounds good I'm with alex and Squeeker in the Raptors.

Anyhooo I am definately up for goin cardiff just need to know when