Author Topic: Running in/Wearing in  (Read 4824 times)

Offline Arun

Running in/Wearing in
« on: December 07, 2009, 04:51:18 PM »
Hi

got my pro jumps last week and me and my mates who have had goes on 'em all reckon the left spring is stiffer than the right - my guess is that we're all right footed and the right spring has either worn in more or better technique with the right leg

is there any running in period? will they get softer? if so ill try wearing them on opposite feet for a day or 2; or is it just technique?

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
Re: Running in/Wearing in
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 05:07:32 PM »
as you say  it mayb  you all just have a 'dominant' leg

try swopping the stilts over to other legs  and see if u still feel a difference in stiffness

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 08:06:54 PM »
I tend to rotate my springs every month or so to keep them even as everyone has a dominant foot just depends how dominant it is

So like Q says swap feet for a while and see how they feel

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline timtom

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 08:08:03 PM »
if swapping springs sounds too much like hard work just put the other bock on the other foot :P

Offline SNuD

• PJF Contributor
    • N.E.W.C. Powerbockers
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 08:31:02 PM »
If trying the bock on the other foot just moves the prob to the other leg then have a look at the pivot bolts under the ball of your foot and about 200mm up from the foot. You may find they are loose on one and tight on the other! :CGEEK:

Growing OLD is compulsory. Growing UP is optional. OPT OUT!

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 09:06:16 PM »
If trying the bock on the other foot just moves the prob to the other leg then have a look at the pivot bolts under the ball of your foot and about 200mm up from the foot. You may find they are loose on one and tight on the other! :CGEEK:
They're called Support rods ;)

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 09:32:03 PM »
oo 2 avoid confusion    im also 'Q'  im a bloke from bournemouth    erm blessed wiv the name quentin

But  bax to u and ya stilts.

Getting them set up right is pretty important.  I recall you stating you have 'tottered' about, i gotta ask , how far below the knee are your knee bars?  The top of the knee bar should be about 2cm below the bottom of ya kneecap.  Much lower and u will be amazingly more unstable.  I seen peeps staggering all over the place and told um a/ keep head up b/ back str8 c/ raise knee bars   rsult   they ready for a marathon ( OK well not quite).  Un peeps that dont know that, erm , put their stilts on ebay in jan.

Also gotta ask  r u old enuff to have transport? do you drive?  Cos there have been and will be meets due south of you on the Devon coast in the months ahead  das besides  the cardiff mob

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 10:34:03 PM »
Hi,
Springs do break in and after some use deffo get softer. Does your mate weigh more than you? If they do then it might be worth them getting there own set. If he uses them they might break in quicker, but they will also get too soft for you quicker. I only let people the same weight ish or less on mine :D

You could have made one spring softer than the other. Swapping them over quickly will tell you that. It could also be that one leg is stronger than the other making one spring feel softer. Just try it and see. If you don't have calf cuffs just swap your bindings over if you find that one spring is softer than the other. Otherwise follow this tutorial and swap the springs over (changing springs is easier than getting cuffs set up perfectly for you :D ) http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3302

:spudT:

Offline TomH999

• http://leedsbockers.webs.com
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 10:34:39 PM »
if swapping springs sounds too much like hard work just put the other bock on the other foot :P
if you switch around your stilts and find the foot strap clasps are bashing just swop them around :)

Offline Arun

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 01:12:59 PM »
thanks everyone for the replies

yes, im 21 so can and will drive to meets once i get a bit better.

i havent fiddled with the set up at all and had to pull over a plumber the other day to borrow a spanner - one of the bolts holding my knee strap in wobbled loose on the way to my mates. (i got the pro jump+ i think - the ones with the cuffs and pro bindings).
the knee cuffs sit about an inch/inch and a half below my knee, seems comfy enough but might try go a bit higher

ill check round all the bolts are tight and swap feet for 2min see if its the spring or my legs. and most of my mates are similar weight so dont think its gonna cause any harm them having a 5min stumble about

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 05:16:21 PM »
Tip for all

Tighten up all nuts and bolts on new stits and after the 1st coup[le of goes. Quite often 1 can be a lil loose or the sudden bouncing can loosen 1. Prime tends to be the 2 small ones on the hooves.

Bit like adjusting brake cables and the like on a new bike. Nowt wrong , just innitial sudden use may cause a bit of 'slipppage'.

If you are going to be driving about a bit, have a think about the south coast. There has  been a meet in Sidmouth this year. And the Riser Raptors of Devon and the Jurassic Jumpers of Dorset/Hants are hoping to find some 'neutral' ground for meets in the new year. They may well be pretty much due south of you.

Offline Arun

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 12:02:11 AM »
I wore them on opposite feet and i think it is just a case of wearing them in. not quite sure which way i should be wearing them now though - iv been doing the bindings up so they point outward as if they were roller blades if that makes sense?

gave my mate a piggy back on em (bout 5ft) and they're nice and soft now im getting the hang of it

and the 1 bolt i didnt tighten up on the calf cuff came out  :Ctwitcy: put it back in again but some of the others seem to be wobbling loose. im just gonna put some locktight on the thread if it happens again.  :Cwink: