Author Topic: Your methods to gain confidence?  (Read 5993 times)

Offline Springer

Your methods to gain confidence?
« on: February 07, 2010, 11:22:37 AM »
I can jump about 2-3 foot when I'm not around people and I'm near a wall or two XD
But I feel like my confidence stops me a lot, I just constantly think I'm going to fall over if I really put an effort into my jumping when I'm not near a wall - even though I probably won't.
Anyone got any tips for confidence? A bit of alcohol tends to help beforehand but that's not very practical :P

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
Re: Your methods to gain confidence?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 12:05:06 PM »
Its cos you are on stilts that raise you off the ground and can help you jump really high.

Or rather you keep THINKING about that fact.  You know if you were just on your feet you could jump off a 3 foot wall no probs...but its scary on the stilts. So try and forget you are on the stilts . I bang on about powerball, but it really helps. Even just a game of catch with some1 , with them throwing 'difficult' balls, high, low , to the side. You quickly start to forget you are on the stilts and get much better balance.

If you can get to a gym , try jumping on top of a craSh mat, they are normally 1 m high. Then once good at it  pile 1 on top. Then go back down and jump on or over  a 1 foot high 'solid' block ( aerobic things are good).  Then try going outside and finding low walls and the like to repeat. Some1 to gently push you on will help too.

Jumping off things is, for most people, easier. So do a fair bit of that, then you can say 'yay i can do stuff'. Great if you can find a wall that is horizontal, but in front of ground that gently slopes down (parallel not perpendicular). then you can try jumping off and on  and as you gain confidence you can move along with the wall gradually getting higher.

Tho it can be good to be pushed or push oneself, also set realistic goals. This will help avoid the frustrations you are feeling at the moment.

Well 1st lil burst of thought

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 12:11:58 PM »
You basically need to HTFU lol.

Bocking isnt a sport for pansies who are afraid of grazing their hands. You need to psych yourself up and just go for it, no matter what*.

If you're not bleeding, you're not pushing yourself enough. But remember everyone has limits.

Offline wolf

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 01:36:38 PM »
Strangly I have the opposite problem I can jump fine normally but even jumping down 2 inch's is petrifying for me  :Cswoon:

I found though that having the right place to jump helps alot. In my garden we have a flagged path that leads across part of the lawn so there is grass at both sides. Having fallen on the grass I know it does not hurt so I am not scared of falling whilst jumping on the path.

Try finding a big grassy area to jump on, it will take some out your jumps but you know if you fall it wont hurt.

The biggest fear is always falling and hurting yourself but once you fall and dont hurt yourself (or to badly) you begin to get over that fear and you can push yourself forwards

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 02:51:27 PM »
The fear of falling overis something you need to get over.

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 03:07:30 PM »
All I can suggest is keep going for it. Go bocking with a load of other bockers, have them shout at you and cheer you on and you'll get it in no time. You just need the confidence.

Alternately, go see the Welsh Bockers. They'll sort you right out. :Claugh:

Offline Springer

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 08:34:04 PM »

Bocking isnt a sport for pansies who are afraid of grazing their hands. You need to psych yourself up and just go for it, no matter what*.

If you're not bleeding, you're not pushing yourself enough. But remember everyone has limits.

I'm not afraid of battle scars at all, just got a stupid mental block that I find it really difficult to get past! All as well saying I need to harden up but it's harder than it seems! XD

Thanks for the advice guys, was at Clive's school today and made some good progress. I'll get there in the end!

Offline Samarka

• In my livingroom!
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 08:55:53 PM »
A quote of a few friends of mine,

Nut up or shut up!

Got bocks, backfleep or broken face sometime in the future.....

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 09:06:07 PM »

I'm not afraid of battle scars at all, just got a stupid mental block that I find it really difficult to get past! All as well saying I need to harden up but it's harder than it seems! XD

Thanks for the advice guys, was at Clive's school today and made some good progress. I'll get there in the end!

I am/was just like you. Many of the EAs will no about me and that stupid stage thing. I would never jump down it but after jumping down a few times holding on to somebody I let go and did it. Without support from other people I still wouldn't be able to do that. hmm..and locky got me vaulting in wales. Once you start doing stuff with help you realise soon after that you can do it alone from the start. Took me a long time to get there but now the 'block' is ,at the very least, smaller.

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 09:32:32 PM »
I did? I have no recollection of that whatsoever!

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 09:39:27 PM »
haha you did...carl was there and my dad got mega p**sed off at you guys coz carls car broke..that was ages ago mind.