Author Topic: Best Vid I've seen in ages  (Read 4533 times)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
Best Vid I've seen in ages
« on: April 18, 2010, 09:02:04 PM »
A mate just sent me this vid and I wanna build one  :Claugh:

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

[youtube=425,350]qybUFnY7Y8w[/youtube]

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
Re: Best Vid I've seen in ages
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 12:05:36 AM »
Sadly, this isn't actually "real", it's about 3 sequences stitched together

Offline madmonky13

• NXTee
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 07:38:12 AM »
its still a great vid! good find jason

jordan
NXTee.yolasite.com check it out.

Offline Birt

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 10:48:57 AM »
i love it! a lot of things point to modern artists (like in the Peppers' video for Can't Stop) and the sequence itself ofcourse:
(Fischli and Weiss did a sequence of about 15 minutes i guess)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 09:21:18 PM »
I watched the clip Sprog and I couldn't see what the guy was on about

Yes you could use the bars to change shots but the piano looks identical in both shots and the light behind the curtain is a well known optical ilusion
The light is identical to the one hanging at the top and I get exactly the same effect in my nylon shower curtain it shifts the light left and down due to the folds and reflective properties of nylon mesh
I believe some magic tricks use it

The makers of the machine do say it had to be done in one shot

http://syynlabs.com/projects/applied-physics/rube-goldberg-machine

And althought I think it was probably cut and shut (due to it being so amazing ) I don't agree with the guy that he has proof

And even if it is faked its a bl**dy good fake  :Claugh:

It did say somewhere that it took lots of takes to get it but I would love to meet one of the audience as they are the only ones who could say for sure

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 09:40:55 PM »
If you every get a chance watch the version (in full) that birt posted. It doesn't have the same production value but it is epic. Has fire and everything haha! I really like the cog (probably better than this :/ ) but it is old now.

I would argue it being one shot. I wouldn't deny that they did do it in one shot but it does look like they may have taken the best versions of a couple of takes and put them together.

:spudT:

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 10:11:33 PM »
Yep I think your right Spud they say they got it to work 3 times out of something like 80 attempts and the cameraman only got it all on one take

So probably one half of one shot looked good and the other half of another so they joined em in the middle  :Claugh:

But I still like to believe it's true but thats just me  :Claugh:

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 10:37:59 PM »
It is true Jason! I'm certain that it did happen in full in one take..just not on the version we see :D

Offline Samarka

• In my livingroom!
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 03:16:41 AM »
The Honda one I know is all one take, as perfect as you see, they also filmed it something like 300 times before it all went according to plan. Honda have the money to throw at things like that, thats why their motorcycles are also the best, but most expensive on the market, they are very very much perfectionists.

Got bocks, backfleep or broken face sometime in the future.....

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 09:34:34 PM »
So I've got an HD camera  :Claugh:

Whos up for building a Bocking Rube Goldberg Machine  :Cbiggrin:

And where shall we do it

Offline SNuD

• PJF Contributor
    • N.E.W.C. Powerbockers
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 01:50:50 AM »
The Honda one I know is all one take
It is true Jason! I'm certain that it did happen in full in one take
Yep I think your right Spud they say they got it to work 3 times out of something like 80
Hey did you guys know they have taken "GULLIBLE" out of the dictionary!! :Cyes:
The camera lies like a dock yard clock! :Cwink:
 :Claugh:
I bet you're going to say Avitar is true as well! :Ctwitcy:

Growing OLD is compulsory. Growing UP is optional. OPT OUT!

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 11:21:46 AM »
Wow! =D I have to agree with you Jason, and then exaggerate somewhat - That is the best thing I've EVER seen! Better than all the best clips from all bocking, free-running, and action movies put together! =D

And I immediately thought of the Honda advert... which was then posted underneath! ^_^ It made me VERY happy! ^_^
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline daveydoodoo

• DaveyDooDoo
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 12:48:50 PM »
I must live in a bubble as I've never seen the Honda Advert before. Both made me smile, and think of family guy where peter gets the breakfast machine.

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 05:47:08 PM »
In your defense, the Honda vid is several years old.
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.