Author Topic: Forum or Computer settings?  (Read 3146 times)

Offline SNuD

• PJF Contributor
    • N.E.W.C. Powerbockers
Forum or Computer settings?
« on: April 23, 2010, 12:46:41 PM »
Any propeller heads know why, when I put the mouse over the menu options at the top I don't get a drop down? It works fine on my PC at work but not at home! :Cnah:

Growing OLD is compulsory. Growing UP is optional. OPT OUT!

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
Re: Forum or Computer settings?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 01:24:58 PM »
try a different browser. I think the menus are java. Make sure you have it installed and enabled.

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 04:29:26 PM »
Yup make sure you're not using an old browser version.
Also does the website finish loading up (look at the status bar). The menus are the last thing to load and if something before them stalls or takes a while, the menus dont work until they are loaded. I'm trying to find a way around this problem but it seems to be specific to PJF.

Offline madmonky13

• NXTee
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 04:36:45 PM »
could be the screen refresh rate :Ceek:

jordan

NXTee.yolasite.com check it out.

Offline asbestospiping

• PJF Contributor
    • www.robcowie.net
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 05:51:46 PM »
The menus are not java, so dont mess about with settings there. They are CSS, so a duff css file in the cache can mess things up, do a full refresh (Ctrl+F5 in most browsers) and check then, if not, clear your cache fully.

Ignore the above, they are in fact JavaScript. Security software, especially anti spyware software can mess about with they way the menus here work due to the way they are handled (Don't simply turn off your security software!). Also addons in chrome and firefox can mess about with them. And unlikly as you don't sound like the sort of person that use them, but grease monkey and equivalent scripts can play about with they way they work.

If you are using Internet Explorer or firefox, try running them in safe mode - instructions here: http://www.killertechtips.com/2008/04/14/run-internet-explorer-and-firefox-without-addons/

and if that fixes it, it is an addon causing your problems
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 06:02:58 PM by asbestospiping »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 07:19:12 PM »
I had the same problem SNuD

I found that I couldn't log out due to it  :Claugh:
I solved my problem by reverting to the Dana7 theme (tried a few fixes and nowt worked)

I haven't tried to go back to the other themes as I was happy with the Dana7

Not much help but a fix if you need it and don't mind red  :Claugh:

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline daveydoodoo

• DaveyDooDoo
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 07:48:25 PM »
Think its Javascript settings, but depends what browser you're using depends on the support. Just did a search for browser support for JavaScript, and google have a nice little page to make sure it's switched on.

As the page says "google ads" are in JavaScript, so if you visit a lot of pages that have missing content in the side it's enabled.

This can be a good thing as your screen won't be full of ads when you visit certain pages, but on the other hand somethings will just not work.

Or as Spud said, change your browser there are loads out there, or maybe your browser just needs updating.

google link for info and how to is https://www.google.com/support/adsense/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=12654

Hope that helps.

Davey

Edit 19:54
Follow up, read this post at lunch time, didn't realise that Spud had put more info on, as I didn't re-read.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 07:55:05 PM by daveydoodoo »