Author Topic: How do you think I am doing so far?  (Read 6971 times)

Offline FunkyCowie

How do you think I am doing so far?
« on: June 05, 2010, 03:46:07 PM »
Took some video this morning of a quick stint on my bocks and thought I would ask for some feed back. I know some of my failings like getting bit panicky and/or losing balance causing me to be too tense, but I guess loosening up comes with building confidence through more time spent on them. Also looking down to much... This is taken after about 8-10 hours of total use. (Date/Timestamp is way off)

« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 03:51:30 PM by FunkyCowie »

Offline SNuD

• PJF Contributor
    • N.E.W.C. Powerbockers
Re: How do you think I am doing so far?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 10:04:56 PM »
Lookin good!  :Cyes:
As you say looking down too much, I know it's easier said than done keeping your head up but it will shift you balance and help in the long run. He says!!!! I know just what my feet look like in stilts  :Claugh:
Also, might be wrong but your feet look a little too turned out! springs hitting at the back maybe?
But, as they say... Practice makes permanant!

Growing OLD is compulsory. Growing UP is optional. OPT OUT!

Offline stuart133

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 10:41:59 PM »
Wow, this is pretty much the same stage I am at. Gonna tape up the springs as I have put a few dents in the standard wrapping. If you haven't done this yet I would recommend it. When you are thinking about not falling over and trying to go faster/higher you can bang the springs together a lot.

Anyway looking good, we all have to start somewhere, as I know  :Cbiggrin:

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 10:53:42 PM »
Hi there,
I thought just the same as snud. Your feet seem to be pointing out a lot. You should try to see if you can keep them pointing a little more forward as you might knock your springs together a fair amount like this. If you find that is how you walk normally (where it isn't a problem) try to correct it a little bit and it should make bocking a little easier :)

Well done. Looks good so far.

:spudT:

Offline FunkyCowie

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 01:30:46 AM »
Thanks for the input, I have no knocking together problems as I keep my legs further apart and I have tyre armour to protect the springs. I did wonder if my feet were too turned out though so I will try and avoid that, maybe it will add stability in my quest for bouncing higher so I can relax more.

:D

Offline SNuD

• PJF Contributor
    • N.E.W.C. Powerbockers
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 01:45:30 AM »
If you are keeping your feet apart than that will tend to destabilise you on contact as the stilt will want to push you sideways because your weight is not directly over the hoof!
So toes out feet directly under your weight and head up.
Way to go! :Cyes:

Offline FunkyCowie

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 12:08:57 PM »
Yes sir!  :Cyes:

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 07:51:46 PM »
I don't think looking down really effects you that much :s I still am terrible for it but I am getting a good 6foot  when I jump so it doesnt really matter :S
DC

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 08:07:10 PM »
well after 8-10 hours, that looks pretty good.  Snud and Spud are pointing out a couple of small but important points.  if you get 'bad habits' early its damn difficult to stop um. And everything spreads from a sound basic technique

re keeping head up, try looking at somat ahead of u, If in an urban enviroment Id sugest some sort of street sign

But next, you r safly bouncing about, so go get noticed :o) go urban  and try jumping off stuff and jumping both feet at same time

After that its time to add in a few tricks :Cyes:

Offline FunkyCowie

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 11:33:03 PM »
I think I'm a long way off the tricks part mate, the wife has laid down the law that if I hurt myself she'll divorce me  :Claugh:

Offline SNuD

• PJF Contributor
    • N.E.W.C. Powerbockers
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 12:09:29 AM »
"if I hurt myself she'll divorce me" Sounds like lifes not all bad then! :Claugh:
Only joking  :Ctwitcy:
You could always get her on them!  :Cyes:

Offline FunkyCowie

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 08:51:04 AM »
It would be very bad as she's absolutely smokin   :banana:

She is interested in trying them but only when I am 'used to them' so I can help her  :Claugh:

Offline Danny1632

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 11:48:02 AM »
i have had my stilts for about the same time and like people have said head up and weight over the hooves :)
your stilts seem a bit squeaky and i recommend some silicon/graphite spray
and get some elbow pads! i took a fall yesterday and i wasnt wearing and elbow or wrist pads (which was VERY stupid of me!) luckily there was a patch of grass i dived for but i still ended up with a scape all down my forearm and on my side which has also got quite a big lump on it... so no bocking till im healed!

Also if your parents or whatever are as worried as mine then dont make a big fuss over it! xD  :PJ101Ian:

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 11:56:07 AM »
ooo post a pix  post a pix :Cyes:

Offline FunkyCowie

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 11:20:04 AM »
I actually did have a little accident that I posted on here... the weather was hot so I wasn't wearing full padding and i had a bunch of keys in my pocket, like you I didn't make it to the grass and I got stabbed in the leg by a key and scraps to my elbow... the missus was not impressed  :Cno:

regarding the silicon spray, I spray before each session, you should hear how squeeky they are when I don't spray them :D

Offline Danny1632

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 09:52:24 PM »
ooo post a pix  post a pix :Cyes:

No I'm not posting a pic, it looks pretty horrid :P
Nearly all better now tho and I'm going back on them A.S.A.P!