Author Topic: Need a few Jumping tips :)  (Read 4071 times)

Offline Chris265265

Need a few Jumping tips :)
« on: August 09, 2010, 12:06:53 AM »
So yea, I've pretty much got the nack of running and jumping and hopping, although I can only seem to go 3-4 feet. If I try to push it, I feel as though I've lost control. Although it did feel amazing jumping 4ft by accident today. Jumped off a curb outside my house and I did 2 jumps and on the 3rd I was like.....AHHHHH SHHH***TTT!!! I have yet to fall over, but have been on a few stumbles...maybe I've just learnt how to recover really quickly? (Guess it's my friend fault really, cause whenever it would rain at school, there was a huge mud puddle he would try and push me into, and for 5 years, I avoided it lol)

But yea, tips on how to jump that extra foot more to reach the 5ft mark. Well, I think that's the highest average right? I know max is like 2m high?

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
Re: Need a few Jumping tips :)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 09:33:35 AM »
Speaking personally, it is about getting the stilts right for you, so you feel comfortable and so the springs are not to soft but quite stiff (with Pro-Jump stilts) then you just learn over time picking up teckniques of people. Unfortunatly I believe I followed Kiola's style to much and seem to have a flail in my left leg :(
DC

Offline Biohazard

• The 'Crash Test Dummy'
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 12:21:10 PM »
Since I get about 5f-6ft I guess can say a few things, not sure if they will work for you though:
- Keep your legs straight, even in the air.
- Don't lift your legs up when compressing the springs.
- Make sure you lift your arms up at the right time, for me that is just before I have compressed the springs as much as they will go on that bounce.
- Look forward, not down.

Offline Chris265265

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 04:21:09 PM »
I must admit at first, I was looking down, but the reason I do so is because I now know what a safe landing will look like, so I can see if the next jump will be a mess up. But when I did look forward, at first I was a bit shakey but now I kind of forget about the floor :)

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 04:37:25 PM »
Don't you find though, that if you don't look down you can misjudge where the floor is and not impact correctly :S or is that just me :D
DC

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 06:45:36 PM »
get company, meet the TVs and banned bockers......will b quicker, easier and better.  and they close

Offline XDvandalDJ

• XD
    • XD Bockers
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 09:28:32 PM »
Don't you find though, that if you don't look down you can misjudge where the floor is and not impact correctly :S or is that just me :D
DC

If you have to look down. Do it with your eyes and not your head.

The whole point of "look up" is just so you don't throw your center of balance off by having your head lowered forward.
Leader of the

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 10:27:01 PM »
Ooo that makes sence, I just like looking completly down :D

Offline Chris265265

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 12:01:55 AM »
I guess also with looking down, you don't get a sense of how high ur actually going. When I started looking up, I was thinking - OHHH dear this is high - which startled me a bit.

But thanks to my first ever fall on these stilts (Thanks a lot Bottoming out and hitting the floor) I think I'm gunna be confident cause now I know how to fall...wrists first :)