Author Topic: using my stilts to earn money promo/advertising work advice please  (Read 2492 times)

Offline billymaya

not sure if this is in the right place but there yer go

right on several occasions i have been into and have bumped into boys and girls in sandwitch boards advertising local shops and businesses they always look bored to tears and the sandwitch boards arent very eye catching

so i was wondering wouldnt it be cool if i could start up a side line in my business doing promo work in my stilts around the high street? obviously id have my stilts all lit up and would be wearing my morphsuit to make me stand out even more but im sure i could direct customers into a shop by wearing some kind of advertising for a company wouldnt have a clue how much to charge for this service but was thinking i could go round to all my local shops and drop in a leaflet advertising the fact im available for hire,

now would they be any rules and regulations regards this? ie advertising on the high street i know id need public liability insurance but apart from that?? have any of you guys ever tried something like this pro's and con's ect ect thanks in advance

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
Re: using my stilts to earn money promo/advertising work advice please
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 09:01:40 PM »
From what I have seen of the people that do this up in London they don't have any special permision (I may be wrong)

Gym Box regularly send out people dressed as giant boxers to advertise and hand our leaflets and one guy on Durastilts (he wanted to get some PJ's so we chatted for a while

Best people to ask are the local police as they will be the ones moving you on and should know about any licenses you would need

The main thing it to be safe as then most police /councils will leave you alone to ply your trade

The only time I have heard that you need permision and licenses is collecting money for charity but as you are advertising that shouldn't apply to you

Private shopping centers are a different kettle of fish  :Claugh: you need to seek permision from the management team but if the shop is in the center they should be able to sort that for you

I believe Kiola did some of this sort of work (he mentioned a shopping center to me ages ago) but he isn't on here very often so a PM might get a reply from him

Lastly good luck with it sounds like a fun way to earn a living  :Cbiggrin:

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 11:39:11 PM »
First thing to do is get some PLI. Most places wont even talk to you without it.

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 08:35:52 AM »
I know Kiola has done a lot of work in and around Plymouth, but now I think he mainly goes for larger companies... but I do know in Plymouth he was working for a nightclub, just doing tricks to entertain, but he had a manager to sort it all out.

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 10:06:45 AM »
Hey there Billy,

right i have done my fair share of stilt based promo in birmingham and i think i can help out a bit here.
Most major citys in the uk require a flyering licence for you to be able to  hand out "free printed materials" these vary in price but in birmingham they are £260.
quite a large sum to get you started, but if you need one, you can count on the street wardens stopping you very 10 meters to look at it.
this is a good thing though as it will bring you closer to the street wardens who if you are polite with are normally a good bunch, they will get to know you and in turn they will look after whn your out and about.
This for us was the clincher though, because if you have a flyering licence youll get LOTS and LOTS of that type of work.

As locky said PLI is always a good thing to have if you intend to work on stilts, and as for pricing i would go for about £20-£25 an hour, but be flexible and friendly and you should end up turning work down.

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Offline billymaya

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 10:20:27 AM »
good morning guys wow thanks for all the good advice so far thats great :) have taken it all on board :) the towns i live near are all small fry compared to the big cities mainly barnstaple,bideford and possibly exeter this being the biggest one, im not at the stage where im doing tricks so it would be just mainly catching peoples eyes walking around with shops/business advert on my chest or back ect so if i wasnt handing out flyers then i should imagine id be alright not to get the licence although i will def be looking into that possibility, figured it might bring in some spare money during the winter months as my landscaping business tails of alot in the winter time plus i think id really enjoy doing some thing like that

all keep you posted when i find out more info from my local council and let you know how it goes :) thanks again

Offline Squeeker

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 07:48:19 PM »
If you joined us in plymouth, I'm sure some of the Riser Raptors would do some work with you, group performances and such like :)

Offline billymaya

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 07:53:35 PM »
lol might be a good idea matey lol ill just stand there trying to balance whilst you lot run/jump circles around me lol will be def coming down to plymouth tomorrow you going??

Offline EvilLordLoki

• Voted Most Gutsy RR
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 01:15:37 AM »
If you get work and want others i'd be willing to travel to help out!

I Believe In Bockism

Offline billymaya

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 10:18:49 AM »
very kind offer ill bare that in mind :) might see you at the meet later?