Author Topic: Algebra :/  (Read 4554 times)

Offline TuRnER 95

Algebra :/
« on: November 19, 2010, 04:28:45 PM »
Right so I'm sat in my maths lesson and my teacher is rambling on about how algebra is used in almost every single career so when I asked him to name a few jobs that you need to be good at algebra , so after about 30 secondsof him looking confused and annoyed all he could think of was,  maths teacher. So then he told me my home work was for me to go and ask 20 people if they used algebra in there jobs

So if you want to help me out (pleeeeese) so dies your job involve algebra please comment with your answer

Offline XDvandalDJ

• XD
    • XD Bockers
Re: Algebra :/
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 04:50:02 PM »
I am a Grocery Category Manager for Sam's Club. My position is one rung below full on manager. I'm like the supervisor for my department. I do the hiring, scheduling, orders, merchandising layouts and work in production on the sales floor.

I have literally never used algebra at work.
Leader of the

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 06:12:13 PM »
remind me wot algebra is/  im mean its officially  over a quarter of a century ago that I 'officially' did maths.

I may well use it...but have 4gotten thats the name 4 it  :o)

But it is suprising were skewl lesson stuff comes into use in the 'real ' world.

Although not analysing a painting, skills I learnt in Art History of evaluating and interpolating facts from 1 situation and then applying and adapting in another I certainly regularly use.

Looked up( love ya Wiki', but not in a Wikileaks way)...its sums!!!

So, yep regularly used. If the beer at the Weatherspoons beer festival costs £1-85 a pint and I have 2 '50 p off a pint vouchers'....how many pints can I buy for £5 and can I get some chrisps with the change.

If I dont go to the beer festival , but save all my beer money, how long till I can afford some SkyJumpers?  Dont answer folks, it was metaphrisical!

Any form of budgetting, working out the proportion of a products price is tax, working out tax returns, household budgetting ( Im getting boring now aint I  :Cyes:)

btw   Im a Postman
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 06:47:49 PM by Bbmthbloke »

Offline Speedjumper

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
I use and need all days Algebra, all kinds of it. Algebra are many different items. Just adding Numbers is, but solving Matrices also.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 08:16:09 PM »
Sorry Turner

I'm officially a carpenter and that means I use Geometry a lot which tends to go hand in hand with Algebra

I'm a Model Engineer by choice of hobby and that means I use a lot of Algebra to work out where things should go and how thick they should be

Your Bocks wouldn't exist without Algebra

As for Jobs that use it your teacher must be thick if he couldn't mention at least the following

Most Engineers, Machinest, Any form of Design Technician , most people working in Statistics, Many Scientists, Architect, Draftsman, Aircraft designers, Pilots, Ships Navigator, Spaceman  :Cbiggrin: and many more
You might notice that most of the jobs are high paid

If you look on algebra as a problem solving tool you will find it very useful

I have no qualifications due to a hickup in my last year of education (except a woodwork cse) and am self taught in a lot of things
Maths is one that I really wish I had paid more attention as most of the people that I know that have retired early due to earning a lot of money are good with things like algebra  :Claugh:

I know bocking is more fun but think ahead
If you get a good education and through that a good job you will be able to spend more time bocking instead of doing overtime to make ends meet

Yours working to hard  :Claugh:
Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Speedjumper

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 10:30:05 PM »
Mathematics is mystic for most people. I cannot understand, when people proud are of...i do not understand it...ha ha..
How poor?!

You can transform pics out of a train in to sharp pics. Eliminate errors from measurements with simple formula. All the internet would not be possible. Kryptographie is on every CD or DVD. All this is mathematics as a practical usage.

e.g. All Musicdata on a CD is stored with redundance. Over the digital stored music phrases will be a checksum computed which is very special. You not only can notice that there is a scratsch at the surface, but also you can recalculate what was there before the scratch.

All this is practical Mathematics for every day use.

Do you hear musci in mp3 format? It's an invention from germany. They understand which parts of the music can eliminated, which parts are not needed for quality.

So a mp3 song need very less place as the original CD song. One more...all this is Mathematics.

And none of your GPS Systems would work properly, if they do not use much Algebra but also Quantum Theorems.

If these quantum effects would not be take in calculation, you would never got a hint to leave the highway, before the exit would happen.

My english is not good enough to tell you more ideas about these cool thing, named mathematics. And Algebra is one of the man parts for pratical use.

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 10:37:40 PM »
so far   store manager (USA)..NO NEVER
          Postman         (UK)  ...YES  TO ORDER BEEER AND WORK OUT DOMESTIC FINANCE
         CARPENTER     (uk) YES  LOADS
         Engineer/Designer(Germany)  YES LOADS AND LOADS

its a good mix

Offline Speedjumper

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 10:40:38 PM »
Simple questions which you cannot answer wihout algebra.

1.) you need a credit for your house...how much would you spare if the credit is 0.1% less?

2.) How much force must a stilt take for a jump from 2m for a person who is about 90kg and jump from 2m high?

3.) if you can buy 3 for the price of 2. How much credit you will get?

and so on...

The whole world is full of Algebra!

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 11:19:17 PM »
I am with Lothar, I use algebra everyday, doing matrices and array's for software design.
DC

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 12:18:17 AM »
I'm a veterinary nurse and use algebra every day working out drug doses, xray exposures, and various other things.
For example (this is entirely made up, it's not a real formula I use at work)

a = Body weight
b = Body Surface Area in meters Squared
c = Dose of Chemo Drug
d = Milligrams per millilitre

b = a x 1.5
c = 0.2mg per square meter = 0.2 x b

Then, you need to convert into ml from mg...
ml = c / d

So yeah. Lots of algebra.

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 04:50:33 PM »
there is an unfortunate 'catch 22' in this

by turning in a v good bit of home work, showing the many ways that algebra enters our lives...you will also be proving you were wasting your time in the lesson

Offline Birt

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 05:31:42 PM »
i'm a theatre technician. i need to calculate how to safely rig lighting fixtures and scenery for example. also loads of calculations when it comes to building sets and designing scenery, lighting plots, sound design and so on. and then there's production, budgetting and planning...

Offline asbestospiping

• PJF Contributor
    • www.robcowie.net
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 05:41:06 PM »
I write software for business management, stock control and finance proposal. Everything I do involves algebra.

Offline lynch

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 09:04:30 PM »
i'm a theatre technician. i need to calculate how to safely rig lighting fixtures and scenery for example. also loads of calculations when it comes to building sets and designing scenery, lighting plots, sound design and so on. and then there's production, budgetting and planning...

im the same

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 09:55:12 PM »
Birt & Lynch

I'm in Theatre maintainance so I mend it when you get your Algebra wrong  :Claugh:

Ps seems to be a lot of luvies on here now  :Claugh:

Offline RRparlbystumble

• i spend more time repairing, than bocking.
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 05:59:06 PM »

No Way man me too, well Techy in training really at UOC and yeah to work out at the angle a lamp needs to be you need to divide angle by somthing by something.. i thnik i'm probably wrong

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Bounce

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 06:25:09 PM »
Paper boys dont!! well they didnt, when i used to haha

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 09:12:52 PM »
BUT THE BIG QUESTON............TURNER   WOT MARK DID U GET?

Offline TuRnER 95

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 09:21:18 PM »
i got a B

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 08:38:13 PM »
There you go mate your already using it

"a B"   :Claugh: