Author Topic: First proper practise  (Read 4824 times)

Offline Wylo

• Where there's a Wylo, there's a way!!
First proper practise
« on: February 06, 2011, 05:27:21 PM »
Hiya,

Well I have had my bocks for just over a week now, with limited opportunity to practise (maybe 3 hours). I live on a hill so learning either up or down hill hasn't been ideal.

took the opportunity at my juggling club on Friday to give them a proper try. Would be keen for some thoughts, advice, critique to help me keep improving. (Already know I look like a lemon when jumping!!  :Claugh: )

[youtube=425,350]of05nVtYSfI[/youtube]
Wylo

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
Re: First proper practise
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 06:21:32 PM »
Hi Wylo

You've got running down fine, confident and looking good. do be extra alert at when running back and forth because others (like kids laying on skateboards) wont be watching out for you!

Jumping...just keep at it. You need to jump as much as possible. It's hard work but it will come with experience. I would say think about using your arms a little more in the jump but that might also throw you off balance at this stage so just do what you're doing and post another vid soon :)

Offline billymaya

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 08:00:40 PM »
great running there good video thanks you'll soon get the hang on it,with the jumping make sure you bring your legs in a bit more you want to have your stilts almost together it will give you more height as you putting all your weight into one spot rather than spreading your weight out, erm thats about it from me really lol good luck and enjoy

Offline Wylo

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 10:53:55 PM »
Cheers Guys,

That feedback really helps my confidence. Gonna keep practising, is such an amazing feeling when you get your running stride right.

Wylo

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 11:11:03 PM »
yep  running, obviously good....and u looked frustrated at lak of jumping ability...dont b. average it all out. Remember to keep looking high and foreward..focus on some thing in the distance...leeping the body upright will help balance, control and height.

Try, outside,  jumping 'off' of things and ontinuing the bounces.

Re living on a hill, as a beginner, when jumping, face up hill. Seems odd advice  but u r much more likely to slip and fall when jumping if facing down a slope.

Offline XDvandalDJ

• XD
    • XD Bockers
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 12:58:58 AM »
Agreed with facing up hill just starting out. When I was a newb I went to do a big jump down hill, and just kept jumping, and jumping and couldn't stop. :P
Leader of the

Offline Wylo

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 01:44:53 AM »
Hi All,

As promised, here is a bit of an update on my bouncy progress. Again, your thoughts are appreciated......Locky, I managed to also prove your earlier statement as fact......children on skateboards don't watch where they are going, or where I am coming from!!

PS. My mum made the awesome purple furry Mister Tumnus spring covers.
[youtube=425,350]UVN1cvJ2Fds[/youtube]

Chat Soon

Wylo

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 01:49:38 AM »
Loving the spring covers look wicked and you look like a natural on the stilts

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 12:56:35 PM »
ditto, love the fur.

The lesson with skateboarders is usually learnt the hard way. When I bock now experience has taught me to look out for anything - skaters, prams, people, wet patches, spilt drinks, cracked paving. Anything and everything really.

Your jumping is sooo much better than your last video. It's harder work but I would concentrate on jumping more than the running/jogging in this hall. You'll also find when jumping people catch you in their peripheral vision and either stop to watch or are at least aware of you.

Are there any gym mats you could use there? The ones that are an inch thick or there abouts.
I think it's time you put something on the floor and learned to jump over it. You'd be surprised how much confidence and concentration it takes. If you dont have anything, use your coat put it on the floor rolled up in a long and narrow sort of way and jump over it.

Keep the videos coming though. I love stuff like this and I really wish more people posted their early videos!

Offline Wylo

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 08:32:27 PM »
Will start working on the jumping this week and keep you posted with another video just as soon as I have made it. (Got a bit of time on my hands at the moment...hence all the footage)

[youtube=425,350]GPgDxbhsmtY[/youtube]

Found a great drawing program on my iPad. Has taken a while, but I have finally got the hang of layers, effects and merging to essentially trace a picture of my bocks!! However, I think the outcome is quite striking.

Chat soon

Wylo

Offline jemus1101

• my facebook
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 08:47:06 PM »
thats pretty darn immpressive! :D    keep up with the vid's were all loving it :)
:D james jemus hasbocks hemus :Cerr:

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 10:03:04 PM »
I love that looks wicked what program was it I may give it a wizz on mine lol

Offline Wylo

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 10:07:58 PM »
I used AutoDesk Sketchbook Pro on iPad. Essentially I think it works like Adobe 's CS range of programs.

Most of the learning curve is around moving between layers and being about to take a chess game approach to your images (thinking 2-3 layers ahead)

Wylo

Offline XS

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 04:17:15 AM »
Gotta work on picking things up.  I've seen a guy pick up in 4 count on stilts.  Can't do it myself though, not flexible enough.  Keep up the bocking and juggling.

Offline Wylo

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 10:47:48 AM »
I know  :Cbiggrin:

Went out the other day to practise in my road and dropped my keys. Ended having to kick them to the kerb and hug a lamp post as i slid down far enough to pick them up. Suffice to say, had the camera been on, getting up would have netted my £250 on one of those look they sold the idiot a video camera shows.

Wylo

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 08:25:06 PM »
Your doing really well mate

The juggling is one of the best things you can do as it makes you ballance better without concentrating
We had a guy on here who used to play catch with all his kids on bocke and they all learnt very quick

Keep it up the vids are fab

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Wylo

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 08:54:10 PM »
Howdy,

As I said, I have quite a lot of time on my hands, so I had a read through all of your advice, and I am really happy with the outcome. You have all been brilliant so far, thanks for all the advice, I really feel I am making progress. Today's video is me jumping and picking up. Odd combination I know.

Anyway, please keep the advice coming......it's brilliant.

[youtube=425,350]oMoRSR_IKng[/youtube]

Wylo

Offline Wylo

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 03:02:07 AM »
This evening I have been having a bash at jumping off stuff......well a stage in the local community hall. The stage is about 3 ft high. The first jump off is my very first, the others are a selection from the evening.

Thoughts appreciated.
[youtube=425,350]yV0TiorIYQw[/youtube]

Wylo

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 08:03:45 PM »
I dont have much time at the mo to comment but all I would say is that you will learn more and progress more from jumping over things and onto things than jumping off them.

I can see in your previous video in the street though that you're improving quickly.