Author Topic: anti-spam  (Read 6761 times)

Offline Hilly-of-the-Marshes

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
anti-spam
« on: March 08, 2011, 05:25:37 AM »
i know there must be some anti-spam on here, but i'm sure every week there's a new spambot around

in general the forum's very well maintained and the work of those maintaining it is well appreciated, but i think all would like it if the anti-spam were upgraded, as much as we all love the adverts for quality fake handbags and "adult" toys.

not complaining, just wondering whether it's conceivable to up the protection, short of human verification on every account

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
Re: anti-spam
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 01:18:41 PM »
Yeah its dead annoying... we have done it so that emails need to be verified and also added the verification string. I am hoping once we have the new PJ site sorted we will do something more web 2.0 for the forum too and perhaps look at an alternative software thats more easy to upgrade etc

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 08:38:19 PM »
What Naz says is true.

There isn't an anti-spam system as such. It's just when you register you have to identify the letters in the box and click a confirmation link in an email.

With sometimes 20 new members a day, doing manual approval just isnt practical, especially for the amount of spam we get which compared to some forums isnt that much really.

Offline Mibsportler

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 08:55:23 PM »
totally agree - it is annoying but it is not like on our homepage of my table tennis club - there is like close to a thousand per DAY  :Cmad:

but true - that handbag guy is a bit annoying lol we shud kick him  :Nero: style  :Claugh:

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 09:02:30 PM »
I deleted the best part of 100 spam messages this morning! It's a nightmare!

Offline XS

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 09:17:49 PM »
The forum software version is a bit out of date, might want to get on updating that naz.  From my experience on PP, lately I haven't been seeing many spam posts, but i have been getting a lot of spam users, they never post to avoid detection by admins, but they post a ton of spam links in their profiles so they get spidered by the major search engines.  I found I was deleting 5-10 spam users a day when our SMF version was out of date.  That's gone down quite a bit since updating to the latest version.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 09:24:41 PM »
Posted by: Spud 
Insert Quote
I deleted the best part of 100 spam messages this morning! It's a nightmare!

Didn't you want a Handbag then Spud  :Claugh:

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Ps well done it takes some doing I had it a few weeks ago

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 09:56:12 PM »
damn handbags! It does take some time (btw, if it's one user it's not that bad if you go to the users profile, view their posts and delete them that way) I did 80 the morning before that! It's crazy!

Offline XDvandalDJ

• XD
    • XD Bockers
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 10:28:56 PM »
Man I wanted a handbag...
Leader of the

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 11:29:11 PM »
I'll remember that Spud
I did it the one post at a time way and the poster was posting as I was banning him  :Claugh:

Had to ban his/her IP in the end to stop him/her (or should that be It  :Claugh: )

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
  • KATIEE :D <3
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 12:22:35 AM »
its an "it" Jason :P
spam bots are totally useless computers that are just used to join a million different forums and places simply to spam the living hell out of them some of the new high tech bots can actually get past the verification code. Some websites have like a million different verification systems in place to stop spam bots but I had an add on my old forum i attempted that was like a spam clean up sort of thing and it deleted the spam posts was quite clever :P

Aidan :Cwink:

i carnt spel... or maybe you cant read ;)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 08:26:17 PM »
Sounds good Aidanh

But in my hands a tool like that would propably result in the web site having only one post something like below

"Sorry about deleting the whole web site but Naz says she should be able to get it working in a month or so if she works 29 hrs a day"  :Claugh: