Author Topic: why is safety gear seen to be so uncool???  (Read 6838 times)

Offline billymaya

why is safety gear seen to be so uncool???
« on: March 16, 2011, 12:05:22 AM »
well ive been bocking now for about 12 months had a couple of falls but have brought protection from day one which has saved me from seriously injuring myself several times in fact the one time i didnt wear it very early on i sliced my hand open, thing is ive seen many bockers on here,out and about ect not wearing any protection (im not having a go at anyone here) im just wondering why wearing protection and safety gear is seen to be so uncool and many people not wearing it? it amazes me seeing the stuff you can do on these stilts and at the same time what can go wrong if you lose your balance or control and wearing protection can make all the difference,im not being a old fuddy duddy (at 32 lol) just wanted to know everyone opinion on the situation and why for some people pads are a no no? :) 

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
Re: why is safety gear seen to be so uncool???
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 12:21:36 AM »
Well I'm a whole year older than you and I know where you are coming from.

I think it comes down to a few things, age being one of them.
Most teenagers see bocking as dangerous. It's like walking on the edge of a tall building. They know their own limits and they know when they are safe but they still enjoy to walk on that edge. Bocking is the same. Lots of them wear pads when learning but when they become more experienced they know their ability and so the pads just get in the way.

I'm as guilty of this as anyone else. I rarely wear my wrist pads. I always have them with me but I dont put them on unless I'm trying something new or doing something I'm not confident with.

It's not really about whats cool and not cool. It's really about comfort and effort.

Offline billymaya

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 12:29:17 AM »
thanks for your reply locky its good to hear your opinion on the subject :) i wondered if anyone who didnt wear it found it restricting in some way maybe, lol im planning on buying a moto cross top so im protected on all sides although saying that i wouldnt wear a helmet even though it might be a good idea to but think i would find this restricting both in vision and head movement :)

Offline Hilly-of-the-Marshes

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 12:37:33 AM »
personally i don't wear pads, admittedly i did at first, but i found i just sweated too much beneath them, to the point where it was so uncomfortable, i figured "safety be damned" and i've never looked back - it's not a case of appearance, or danger-searching, i just prefer to be comfortable, though i occasionally joke otherwise. i can't speak for anyone else, but that's my excuse

Offline billymaya

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 12:40:38 AM »
cheers for your feedback hilly :)

Offline olieviling

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 01:41:37 AM »
Hey billymaya i'm a newbie only been bocking a month and a bit, i wear full protection, wrist, elbow, knee and head (just got a new skate helmet from bern and its great.) i was wearing my motocross top but found it far too restrictive so got some pads instead.

I'm learning so until i feel comfortable and confident enough i'm sticking with my protection, who knows after that.

I think you should do what feels right for you  :Csmile:, i might look a "plonker" but hey i am!
 :PJ1: :Csmile: :PJR:
Oli E
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 01:43:32 AM by olieviling »

Offline EvilLordLoki

• Voted Most Gutsy RR
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 02:51:22 AM »
I do wear knee/shin pads and always proud of the fact i do i find the stilts more comfortable with them.
i always carry wrist guards! like locky said i'll wear them if i feel less confident about something i'm about to try.
i don't wear them cos they are uncomfortable.

so it's just knee/shin pads for me!

I Believe In Bockism

Offline Birt

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 11:21:59 AM »
i wear my wristguards, knee and elbow pads all the time. never fell on my knees though. i fell on my elbow once, just the one time i didn't wear the pads :p

Offline spawnyb

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 12:18:43 PM »
I wear knee / shin guards, although after last Sunday I may well be upgrading to Bubble Wrapping my entire legs.

:Ccry:

Hmmmmmmm........Why did I buy these again?!?!?!?

Offline JCDenton

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 06:53:26 PM »
Im 23 and always have my wrist, knee and elbow pads on.. Only the other day after getting my new exo's on i tried sprinting and went head first into the ground (wasnt used to the stiffer springs lol) and it would of been a hell of alot worse without pads.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 08:11:42 PM »
I never bock without wrist elbow and knee protection

I have managed to dammage all three during falls

One comment that will get me a lot of flack I'm sure   :Claugh:

If your not wearing pads your obviously not bocking hard enough  :Cbiggrin:
Same thing as if you ain't falling your not trying

Do see the point about sweating in them though but I found that if you buy the right gear that is minimised (I should know no one sweats more than me  :Claugh: )

Seriously though a busted wrist can put you off work for a long time so if you have parents to pay the bills (and wipe a certain bit if you bust both wrists  :Claugh: ) it is a lot easier whereas I have to pay a mortgage so can't afford that sort of injury or the time off

Jason  :Hoofies2:  :CGEEK:

Offline XS

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 08:37:20 PM »
I always wear knee pads, gloves, and a helmet.  I've been thinking lately about upgrading my gloves to proper wrist guards, just have to find a comfortable set.  When i was younger I was into inline skating and skateboarding and I was firmly in the pads aren't cool camp so didn't wear them whenever my parents weren't watching or a skate park didn't require them.  I've since grown up and joined the getting hurt isn't cool set, so i wear them.  I understand people saying they don't wear wrist guards because they're not comfortable, I agree completely, but there's gotta be some out there that are, I just haven't found them yet.  In the mean time i wear gloves, cause i've taken enough falls that would have torn up my hands (I've torn up several pairs of gloves).  I'm glad to not be picking gravel out of my palms.  I've also never found a pair of elbow pads that are comfortable to move in, and i've never had serious falls where my elbows are a major point of impact so i'm not missing much there. 

I love my 661 kneepads, they're super comfortable and save me frequently, and I've never had a problem with a proper fitting helmet restricting me in any way, and while i've never hit my head bocking, i'm never gonna stop wearing it cause i don't want to take that chance.

Offline billymaya

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 09:01:21 PM »
thanks for all your feedback so far guys its really interesting reading :)

Offline JCDenton

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 09:38:46 PM »
I dont get why people say wrist guards arnt comfy? I have some cheap ones from decathlon and they are really comfy, iv well protected too (tested lol). It was a pack of wrist, knee and elbow pads for 12.99.

Offline Birt

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 12:49:53 AM »
for my knees and elbows i have Anarchy (i colored the brand name black because it's a bit lame. wearing them is not :p) kevlar pads. very comfortable!

Offline bendover90

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 06:00:46 PM »
igone what others say, and get what you feel appropriate.

i had theis when i first started iw as told not to bother as its not a thing thats regarded inkeepign wiht the sports foundations :/

now i wear knee pads, wrist guards (doc meters, love em) and am currently painting a custom helmet)_

Offline clive

• Elite Member
  • jump as high as you can ,,worry about the landing
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 08:29:34 PM »
i can remember driving 20 mins to a bocking place and jason and i turning back to get the safety gear,i have seen the damage it can cause hence jasons wrist so i will allways wear mine  :Cyes:

Offline XS

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 09:05:48 PM »
i had theis when i first started iw as told not to bother as its not a thing thats regarded inkeepign wiht the sports foundations :/

I hope there aren't any bockers saying this, pads are definitely a personal choice and there's no one right or wrong way to do it for bockers, though there are definitely some setups that provide more protection than others.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:16:03 PM by XS »

Offline bendover90

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 11:00:00 AM »
yes xs it was suggested.