Author Topic: first Epic Fail  (Read 3836 times)

Offline Wylo

• Where there's a Wylo, there's a way!!
first Epic Fail
« on: March 17, 2011, 11:01:39 PM »
Today I had my first epic fail. I am not sure how it happened, I can't really remember. I was travelling over Rochester Bridge at about 15mph, using bike lane (good traction and flat) I remember a split second of panic and then nothing until I woke up (10 mins later) surrounded by members of the public and a large man's hands holding my head really quite tightly!! I think I passed out another couple of times before the ambulance arrived, I vaguely remember trying to get up and being told not to and shouting at someone who tried to take my stilts off. (Ambulance took me to hospital....without blues and twos)

So, after a glorious trip to medway A&E, blurred, whirlpool vision, vomiting, headache like an epic hangover, x-rays, CT scans and a really sharp needle in my right buttock, I am sat here trying to write this email with only my left hand having given myself a jolly good dose of concussion, pulled the skin off the knuckles on both my hands, fractured my right elbow (luckily not in a cast), cracked 2-3 ribs (doctors weren't completely sure) and grown a second forehead (see below)!!

I was however wearing Knees, Wrists and Elbow pads. Had I not, I would have smashed my elbow, smashed my knees, (cracked knee pads), and judging by how sore writing this post is, broken my wrists. I just wish I had been wearing a helmet too.

A word of advice for anyone reading this post, keen to start this amazing sport. Use body armour, I can promise you, it is worth the extra few pounds it costs to kit yourself out. There is nothing as wonderful as the freedom these stilts provide, but do it safely!!

Wylo

Offline Mibsportler

Re: first Epic Fail
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 11:08:34 PM »
F***  :Cswoon:

i might get myself now maybe some pads myself - only ever used wrist pads

OMG - hope u will soon be better and try it again

Offline billymaya

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 11:11:07 PM »
ouch thats not good at all and goes to show that its so worth padding up because at the end of the day even if your s**t hot on them it only takes some loose gravel,a stick or anything else that can send you hurtling to the ground!! im glad your not to badly hurt though and hope you recover quickly and it doesnt put you off stilting, hopefully this will be a good warning to newbies in the sport that safety comes first

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 12:04:30 AM »
Nice Lump mate

Gotta agree that a helmet for the first 6 months or so is a really good move
And I am starting to think they are a good idea at a lot of other times

Unless you got hit by a car (maybe a buss by the size of the lump)  I would say for a guess you did the old head overtaking your feet trick (That is a deffo panic moment)

Only problem at the moment mate is your gonna have trouble getting a helmet to fit with that lump  :Cbiggrin:

All kidding aside you were lucky mate and heres hoping it all mends soon

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Ps I find chocolate helps in a case like this  :Cbiggrin: and pain killers

Offline olieviling

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 01:20:29 AM »
 :Cwideeyed:
dude thats nasty, hope you feel better soon.
OliE

Offline bendover90

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 10:53:50 PM »
get well soon mate, this is why ive just painted a hlemt for me to wear!

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 12:16:39 AM »
Wow, hope you feel better soon Wylo and thanks for taking the time and effort (and pain) for sharing this so quickly for us.

I have to admit, I really do think helmets are needed for bocking. I dont wear one myself so I'm contradicting myself but the truth is I get very hot in one and I'd rather take my chances... and probably regret it when I experience a similar smash as you.

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 12:30:36 AM »
Ouch, Get well soon Wylo