Author Topic: PowerBocking to work??  (Read 6286 times)

Offline RacingBear

PowerBocking to work??
« on: March 25, 2011, 02:15:45 AM »
Hi there.

I am thinking of getting some jumping stilts to get to work and back.

I used to cycle and run alternate days monday to friday. It is about 2 miles each way and there are some fairly steep hills (i live in Sheffield). I am quite light about 65kg and am a bit concerned about spring ware and going down hills quick (don't want the back of the springs hiting the ground, thats a quick way to A&E).

What do people think??

RacingBear

Offline SNuD

• PJF Contributor
    • N.E.W.C. Powerbockers
Re: PowerBocking to work??
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 05:34:16 AM »
2 mile on stilts and hills is no mean feet! don't forget they weigh a few K each and you will know it after 2 miles!  :Cyes:
As for hitting the springs goin down hill! steps are doable so I don't think you will have problems with that.  :Cnah:
I would stick to the bike and running and save the stilts for the fun things!  :Claugh:

Growing OLD is compulsory. Growing UP is optional. OPT OUT!

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 08:46:50 PM »
Gotta disagree SNuD

I used to do about 2-3 miles every lunch time round London

Hills are no real problem apart from being a bit Knackering

Your main problem will be rain and slippy pavements due to leaves in the autumn

It won't be as quick as a bike as most of the time you will be walking (believe me running a mile takes real fitness)

I used to cycle 15 miles each way to work and that took me an hour through London traffic (rush hour) but only had one hill on the way which was nice

Think if you stick to the warm sunny days at first you should have no problems and you will deffinately get fit  :Claugh:

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 08:55:36 PM »
Although I would love to see you try this (and succeed) I cant really suggest anyone buy bocks to regulalry walk in and nothing else. Dont get me wrong, there are a few individuals who could and would do this but on the whole I think you would be wasting your money as you will give up on them quickly.

Offline JCDenton

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 09:56:57 PM »
There not a real means of transport.. As in they are a little too much hassle for day to day use.. Wet, grit, moss, stones, drains, low signs, grass.. The world is full of danger lol.

Offline SNuD

• PJF Contributor
    • N.E.W.C. Powerbockers
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 01:35:38 AM »
True enough Jason walkin is not a prob but 2 mile run is and as Racingbaer says he either runs or cycles so I guessed he wanted to run in them!
But the message is fairly consistant! a great fun thing but not the best mode of transport!

Growing OLD is compulsory. Growing UP is optional. OPT OUT!

Offline RRparlbystumble

• i spend more time repairing, than bocking.
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 02:39:26 AM »
AS anyone who has attended Walk for life in the past will agree, walking 10km on bocks is freakin knackereing.and alot of people must of run the last leg last year.. which was tough....running 2miles everyday bloody hell.but i'm sure it's doable but with Alot of practise

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 08:39:50 PM »
 :Claugh: This argument about running has run for a long time  :Claugh:

I do agree that running 2 miles would be absolutely Knackering mate but if he was willing to jog/walk/jog I think it would be possible and not to much slower that a steady jog

I base this on the fact that I don't run in any way
But if I run on my feet any distance I am bushed
If I run on the stilts any distance I am bushed exactly the same but I have gone further faster

Now taking this to it's logical conclusion

If I took up jogging I would probably be able to run as far as the average fat man  :Claugh:
But that equaly means if I took up jogging on stilts I would eventually build enough muscle to run the same distance at the same speed

Before anyone says nay to this remember the average jogger can't run a marathon (or at best put in a good time)
So all it would take is the dedication to keep at it and build the right muscles

As far as the 10k walk for life I didn't find that to hard and most of the fitter amongst us were doing tricks all the way round
But at the time I was spending 1hr a day and 3/4 at the weekend so I will probably find it harder this year  :Claugh:

To ad to my argument I used to walk round the outside of a farm with the wife on a horse
It is exactly a mile and we used to do it twice in about 25 mins this was on very cut up rough ground and deep mud so I recon I could do a couple of miles in about 20 mins on the road probably faster if I was in any way fit

So if those times and getting super fit into the bargain suit you RacingBear I would still say go for it

Jason

Ps lets time the first 2 miles of WfL this year  :Cbiggrin:

Offline RRparlbystumble

• i spend more time repairing, than bocking.
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 09:09:16 PM »
okay you win jason :P..as usual

fine me and you are timing the first 2km .winner buys a round?

haha!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 09:20:51 PM »
OK i clicked on the cos 'parlby' had replied...but he is a west country student ( OK exiled with simple northern folk) .   but 'work'  'running'