Author Topic: problem of the week lol or so it seems  (Read 4844 times)

Offline billymaya

problem of the week lol or so it seems
« on: March 29, 2011, 12:26:52 AM »
right new problem this week been messing about on the stilts as usual getting some good jumping practice in the problem lies when i come into contact with the ground now i know im supposed to be looking forward and not down but im really struggling to time it right to ready myself for impact on the ground. on several occasions ive had my legs outstretched thinking im about to hit the floor but im not and end up jarring the top half of my legs and it doesnt half hurt when i do!! so how do you guys get your timing right without looking at the floor?? i suppose the timing changes as you get higher right?

Offline billymaya

Re: problem of the week lol or so it seems
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 12:28:44 AM »
ps anyone got a spare exo hoof bolt as got back tonight after my stilts didnt feel right and i see ive lost a bolt on the inside edge of my hoof :( and i made sure i kept my bolts tightened :( only had um a week sucks major bummage lol

Offline bendover90

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 04:27:30 PM »
hey billy, i stare at the floor mate, bad habbit :/

as it so happens i have a spare set of hoofs.

Offline billymaya

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 06:50:29 PM »
hi ben thanks for the reply lol perhaps i should just look at the floor then and just practice not leaning forward to much when i do lol, i contacted naz last night and shes sent me out a spare bolt its coming tomorrow :) now thats customer service for you :) thanks for the offer though buddy :)

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 10:56:15 PM »
Who said you shouldnt look at the floor?

I admit its not always best to be looking down but for this purpose I cant see a problem with it. I certainly rarely jump and have my head/eyes looking at the horizon. So maybe try something inbetween.
With everything like this the best advice is do what works best for you and not what others say is right. Unless there is a really good reason for what they say, like serious safety issues etc.

Offline JCDenton

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 07:26:33 AM »
Its said to be easier to keep balance when looking forward.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 07:13:28 PM »
I was told when I strated that the best place to look is at the ground about 15-20ft in front of you
This way you can judge the height you are at and keep your head up

I still can't get it right and look at the ground right in front of me  :Claugh:
This sometimes gives me upper back strain and neck ache so I have to work at it

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 07:47:09 PM »
I think we are thinking about this too much.

Yes, looking straight down at your feet can cause problems but so can holding your head up right.
Typically I tell people to look a metre or two in front of them, whatever feels good. I dont think anyone should be told what is right and wrong here. Try it out with your head/eyes in different positions and see what works best for you.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 09:08:23 PM »
Metre or two in front of me  :Cbiggrin: whoopee I have been doing it right all this time  :Claugh:

Thanks Locky now why am I so Sh*t scared of flipping mate  :Claugh:

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 09:22:38 PM »
because the risk of serious injury or death is significantly higher...which makes it more fun :)

Offline Mibsportler

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 09:30:30 PM »
ohhh god - flipping - i so want to learn that - anyone of u guys knows when a gym meet is coming up - on a day where one can attend (teacherwise - means only weekend free and holidays of course  :Claugh:)

and same - jason - freaking scared but just imagine once u r able to do that - it would kill my friends back home  :Cswoon:

Offline billymaya

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 09:37:06 PM »
i to would love to learn to flip so would my step son but gyms with crash mats down in devon are like gold dust i cant find any near by that will let us bock as they are afraid that we would damage their gym floors and no one seems to have crash mats or if they have they say we have to have training to land on them correctly :(

Offline Mibsportler

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 09:43:39 PM »
lol - i v the gym and the crash mats - am a teacher at a girls high - and cud possibly go in there every wednesday for an hour - might do so as soon as i see one in real action and try it myself
but the bad thing is that apparently there is not really any bockers around in that area anymore - yellowbelly died  :Ccry: