Author Topic: Squeaking  (Read 5643 times)

Offline Pickles

Squeaking
« on: May 20, 2007, 01:18:05 PM »
Hey
I've had my pro-jumps for about a week now, and yesterday one of them started squeaking so badly. It squeeks where the little white T is that keeps falling out, i've taped the T in place so it stops falling out, and i've also taped the springs.

The sqeaking is so annoying because it is SO loud people dont stare at the pro jumps they stare at me cause they think i've got broken one's  >:(

Has anyone got any ideas about what i can do to solve this problem because i'm so disapointed.

Offline Athoul

• PJF Contributor
Re: Squeaking
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 03:45:05 PM »
Copper grease all the bushings, so thats under the footplate, bottom of the spring, top of the spring. You will need to take it apart to properly grease them if you are using copper grease.
The other alternative is WD-40 which you can just apply to all the moving bits.

Hope this helps
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Offline Pickles

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 09:20:58 PM »
Thanks  :D I put some Grease on but i didnt take them apart, it has helped but still squeaking so i'm going to put more grease on tomorow, im abit scared to take them apart incase i loose something and i can't put it back right.

Offline robb

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 10:06:40 PM »
ive had mine about a month now and they have only just stopped squeaking. to stop mine from squeaking i tightend the black bracket that is connected to the bottem of the spring by the hoofs (the two bults on the top of the spring that connect the black bracket to the spring).

hope that works

Robb :)

Offline Pickles

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 06:49:13 PM »
Ok... They are smothered in grease, i walked around the eastate and about 5 minutes in it started squeaking again, i am getting very anoyed with this now. I've only been on them about 5 times and theres already a problem with them, has anyone got any other ideas what i should do.

Also thanks robb and Athoul for helping ;)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 06:56:29 PM »
I found that the sqeek on mine came from the bit where the spring meet the top of the foot where the white plastic packers are
I sprayed a silicon based lube/grease into the front and back and it stopped

It seemed to be the joint between the plastic packer and the rubber pad that sqeeked on mine

Offline Zeph

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 07:06:09 PM »
WD-40 mine about an hour after getting them (they squeaked SO much) then .... SILENCE! hurray! WD worked well! But it is a water displacement, is it ok to use on the metalwork? are there any plastics near the joints? If so would GT-85 be better? So far the WD seems to have worked wonders so i doubt theres a problem using it.

Offline Zeph

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 02:15:37 PM »

These are the only spots you need to greese. Basicly top and bottom of the spring, and the two joints.

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 02:43:13 PM »
Why the bottom of the spring by the hoof, there should be no movement there at all ???

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 04:08:10 PM »
I beg to differ Sprog if you look at it from an engineering point of view the spring when it contacts the ground has 2 fixed points top and bottom and a flexation point the center so it must bend either side of the center
Admitedly it will only be a small movement but it will bend and therefore slide at the joint at the top of the foot and twist a very small amount at the base

I found that my squeek came from the sliding acton at the top of the foot but that bolt at the bottom could squeek when it twists

And a good sillicon based grease spray seems to last ages on mine like about 20 hrs since last use

Offline oafc_bouncer

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 04:58:23 PM »
my squeeking just went on its own
oafc til i die.

Offline Sx Nutta

• Elite Member
  • No Brains Required
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 06:06:14 PM »
I just used a little bit of copper grease, and hey presto, no squeaks for a very long time, copper grease will not come off with the rain, or be burned by continous movement!!  ;D

Fire is good!
But Fire is better when you are spinning or breathing it!
Burn Scars are for life!
Chicks dig dudes with cool burn scars!

Offline jump-up

• " I belive i can flye "
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2007, 04:58:59 PM »
Mine just stopped squeeking after some days of using them  :P

Offline t r o c

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 06:57:52 PM »
my squeeking just went on its own
Same here

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 10:40:48 PM »
I just found out the hard way

Mk1 PJ's have brass/bronze bushes Copper grease is good for these

Mk2 PJ's have plastic bushes Sillicon spray/grease is good for these

Copper grease seems to make the plastic bushes wear quickly (I take engineering lessons from a guy who does jobs for British areo space and he said don't use copper grease on plastic saddly after I had)

Long shot of this is I'm busy turnig up a new set of silver steel tubes and phosfer bronze bushes and am going to use molyslip to lube them (should last a long time I hope)