Author Topic: Physical theatre company wants to try out stilts - can anyone help?  (Read 3252 times)

Offline tangledfeet

Hi there

We're a physical theatre company, tangled feet (www.tangledfeet.com) and we've got a long-held massive curiosity about the potential for using stilts in our work. We'd really like to hook up with an expert or two who could maybe advise or mentor us, maybe guide us through testing some equipment and finding out if it's for us and what we could do with it before we invest in a load of kit....We're a fairly fit and adventurous bunch who are dedicated to pushing the boundaries of physical movement (our last foray was into climbing and aerial work). Anyway, we hope that this board might be a place to start - anyone friendly out there to give us a pointer? We're in London btw.

Thanks in advance!

all at TF.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
Re: Physical theatre company wants to try out stilts - can anyone help?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 06:19:39 PM »
Hi TF

Your best bet is to come along to a meet  (Essex Power Bockers or the EA's spring to mind unless you want to go to Wales  :Cbiggrin:)

If someone shows an interest most Groups/Clubs are willing to let you have a try

If it is your first go on stilts it is unlikely you will be doing much more than walking and little bounces

Even if you have used Durastilts or the like you still normaly need a couple of sessions to get going on Bocks

We (the Hanworth Banned) are based in Hanworth (just weat of London) but there are only a few of us so we don't have a wide range of stilts

I have a couple of pairs that people can try but they are in the high weight range (still OK to learn the basics on even if you are lighter) but ideal for people around 15-19 stone

I would have to check with Clive but you may be able to come to our next Gym meet (only a small school hall but good to learn in)

How many of you are there

Oh and one last bit although we would be very careful it would have to be at your own risk as we only do this for fun and don't carry any insurance

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline tangledfeet

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 09:09:34 PM »
Hey Jason

That's really kind of you to offer, thank you.

To answer a couple of your questions - there are quite a few of us but it would depend who was free on the day - maybe 6 or 7 of us at most I reckon. We're a range of weights. We're fully insured.

It would be great to hear when you or the Essex lot meet, and if it's possible maybe a little group of us could come along to have a play?

thanks so much for getting back to me.

TF

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 11:05:37 PM »
Hey guys,

In my experience, athletic people with circus and dura experience will take to bocks very quickly. You might still look like bambi but it will only last for seconds or minutes until the brain works our whats going on.

For £150 a pair, why dont you just buy some :)