Author Topic: Calf Cuff alternatives  (Read 4562 times)

Offline UpFromOne

Calf Cuff alternatives
« on: December 15, 2011, 08:34:05 AM »
Wanted to start a new thread on alternatives for the cuffs, to get some ideas before I cobble up some new parts.
The idea is to replace the too-flexible calf cuff system with something offering better support for the stilts.

I had mentioned using carbon fiber knee brace pieces in another post, but I admit that would be too expensive.

So what about motorcycle style plastic shin guards? Could we shave them down to an appropriate size and bolt them directly to the vertical rail behind your leg? Then just attach some velcro closures on front? Thoughts?

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
Re: Calf Cuff alternatives
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 10:43:54 AM »
What are you trying to improve on exactly? I think the cuffs when adjusted properly do the trick nicely and can be worn to each users preference.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 07:28:18 PM »
The juniors had something similar but made from plastic and I believe a lot of people found them uncomfortable

I can see what you are trying to achieve with this as it would look like it could be lighter and more suportive

Two things to remember

When you are jumping your legs do move up and down within the cuffs and this aids ballance as you can flex your ankle joint a small amount
In the articulated foot type (Skips) it moves a considerable amount so you need to have something flexable (not that this will affect you unless you decide to but or build a set)

Also something thay amazed me when I first noticed it is that the cuffs rotate slightly on the bolts that fix them to the bars (must be the knee joint and ankle movement that causes it)
So I don't know what the effect of basicly fixing that area with what I assume will be something like a full shin guard

Having said all that I would love to see you build it as it could turn out to be the future of stilts I mean 4 years ago people were telling me Cuffs would never catch on   :Claugh:

Also if you don't try something ytou never know how good (or bad) it is look at all the people that don't bock  :Cbiggrin:

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline UpFromOne

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 01:40:16 AM »
Spot on Jason.

I know it's hard to describe without pics, but I'm speaking of replacing the rod system with a back-mounted shin guard kind of piece. The piece would bolt directly to the rail, be high enough to reach the knee area, and still have a hole on each side for a cuff of some kind, but not needing near as much bulk.

Yes, the cuffs do rotate a bit on their bolt attachments, but I find that the rods create a pressure point on the leg which I think can be remedied. It makes no sense to have a straight section of rod run along the back of your curved calf.

I'm currently evaluating hard plastic shin guards to find a suitable piece that I can shape and try bolting on.

I also thought of crushing the upper section of the round calf rod to a flat section, but my rod alloy isn't that flexible, that would indeed crack & break it.

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 10:24:45 AM »
hmm if i'm not mistaken the very first picture of an early exo had something similar that they then developed into the upwing.
I'll see if I can dig it out.

It didnt catch on and they went back to normal calf cuffs but it will be interesting to see what you can come up with.

Offline UpFromOne

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 05:59:39 PM »
Thx. I admit that the latest designs obviously have alot of thought into them. I personally am looking for something that won't create pressure points. The cuff isn't bad, but the straight rods on mine that hold the cuff can't be bent into a curve around the calf.

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 07:47:37 PM »
this is what I was thinking of.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 09:49:40 PM »
Talking of crushing the ends of the tubes it is possible but you have to Aneal them about 4 times to get them to flatten without cracking

I use a simple methoud on mine

First rub some soap (normal hand soap is idea) onto the end of the rod
Then gently heat the whole area that you want to bend/flatten
When the soap starts to burn (turns brown/black) you have reached a safe anealing temperature for the alloy
Don't get it any hotter as it will melt and ruin the bar
Gently tap it into shape with a clean faced hammer and blocks of wood
When the alloy starts to harden (it feels and sounds different) re-heat and start tapping again
It normally takes me 4-5 heats to get the bars flat ( I place a 3mm x 16mm strip in the middle to leave a gap so the ends don't fracture

You can see the finished item below

Offline UpFromOne

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 03:05:26 AM »
Awesome! What about curving the horizontal (upper) section of the rod so it wraps a bit around the calf?
I understand the cuff itself pivots on its bolt mounts, but the straight rod is what creates pressure at roughly 4 & 8 o'clock positions on the calf.

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 03:47:28 AM »
Hey UpFromOne, I know exactly what you're talking about. It was the first thing I did when I got my stilts. I mounted riot gear shin pads to the back and used two wide velcro cuffs to support my lower leg in two places. This was before the actual calf cuff was invented and my main reason for doing it was because I was unconvinced that the knee-bar system would be effective. =P It just made sense to me that a cuff should pull my leg back into the calf support rather than forwards towards the bar.

I find the actual calf cuff very comfortable and secure though. I only put so much effort into it because the knee bar was my only other option at the time. My set up is really secure...but it makes me sweat like crazy and looks a bit rubbish. Lol. Good luck with yours! =)
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 12:31:29 PM »
That problem didn't occur with mine  UpFromOne

Due to the fact that I used the original kneebars and cut it into 3 bits (left side right side and the front bit was waste

The have a curve in them already so all I needed to do was flatten them (I did curve the flat bits round a bit on the later ones )

I also have large calfs due to riding horses for many years so I don't need them as curved as most people

It woudn't be a problem to pull them into a tighter curve once they are anealed a plumbers or electricians pipe bendes would make it neat but you could do it with a rubber hammer and sandbag if you take your time