Author Topic: HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE FALLEN OVER??  (Read 6579 times)

Offline 01273maxim

HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE FALLEN OVER??
« on: December 31, 2011, 05:43:50 AM »
Have you fallen over?
Does it hurt alot?

Lets see how many have and their experience? :Csmile:

Offline BitLord83

Re: HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE FALLEN OVER??
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 06:13:55 AM »
I doubt anybody who uses bocks hasn't fallen over at least once. I've been lucky to have only landed on my hands and knees with wrist guards and knee pads on. Just a bit jarring hitting the ground and nothing else. It pays to wear your protective gear!

Offline verb0ss

• Jump High and Prosper
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 10:14:12 AM »
Hi 01273maxim. Its only a matter of time. Everyone who wants to progress in the art of bocking will fall sooner or later. I've fallen badly once but I was back on my stilts within few days. Wear protective gear and you will be safe.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 12:20:24 PM »
I think the question should be
Has anyone who has bocked for more than a year not fallen over  :Claugh:

Yes you will fall and occasionally it will hurt

Just to give you two instances

I was walking and slipped on mud (not wearing wristguards ) this resulted in a broken wrist (My worst injury to date )

This was down to stupidity as I did the same fall 6 months later wearing wristguards and no injury and bocking again in the time it took to get up

Last month I had a spring snap clean in half (verry rare they normally fail slowly) this happened at the bottom of a (for me ) high bounce and I landed on one spring and went up again a fair way before crashing to the ground in a heap

Result no bruises and laughig my head off due to wearing all my pads and guards

The second fall was potentially the more serious but if you wear pads and wristguards you should be fine 99% of the time

Jason   :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Joe Legg

• What goes up! Must come down!
    • www.PushYourLimits.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 12:23:18 PM »
everybody falls. Its knowing how to fall is the key. I will do a tutorial in the new year on this.

I fall at least twice every time I go out training.

E-Mail: joe@pushyourlimits.co.uk
Latest Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3mB5yxMHjE

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 01:01:37 PM »
Once for fun and twice because it doesnt exist until you do it twice :P

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 03:19:12 PM »
Sorry for double post.

My first fall was within my first week of bocking. It was November and damp. We'd had nothing but rain and of course all I wanted to do was get out on my new stilts so I took the risk in the dampness and slid on something and went down. Not injured but learned the lesson that I needed wrist pads.

I would like to add that when you are jumping high and lose your balance there is a split second when your brain thinks oh crap this isn't going to end well. When it happens before I hit the ground I actually laugh at myself because its something that after 5 years shouldnt really happen. It's a good feeling right up until the impact :)

Offline 01273maxim

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 08:58:31 PM »
How should you fall?

Offline Hilly-of-the-Marshes

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 09:04:01 PM »

Offline Joe Legg

• What goes up! Must come down!
    • www.PushYourLimits.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 11:26:19 PM »
How should you fall?

* WEAR PADS AND RELAX *

It hard to explain, plus it depends on how your falling. ( I will make a tutorial tomorrow if I can, because I feel its something that really need to be covered) 'great doing a tutorial on falling lol'. guess some idiots got to do it =D

Loosing control in the air: If you jump in the air and loose control try and get you stilt feet down. If you get even 1 foot down it will take out a lot of the fall. Then relax and absorb into a slide.

Falling and cant get feet down This sucks and you will know when this happens. First thing relax, absorb and roll.

Tripping forward If your running or feel like your going to fall forward. You are going to fall so relax and bed your knees to get lower to the ground. Absorb the fall with you hands and slide onto your front, as you slide your hands forward. *always stay relaxed, never tense up* absorb and slide.

Falling backwards This is the hardest to cover from. I hate falling backwards and normally from a front flip landing short. The best thing you can do is relax. Your hand will naturally go back. Absorb with your hands. Thats all you can do.

Hope that helps a bit but I will do a videos asap.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 11:32:50 PM by Joe Legg »

E-Mail: joe@pushyourlimits.co.uk
Latest Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3mB5yxMHjE

Offline 01273maxim

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 01:23:12 PM »
Where can i get the best wrist pads from??

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 01:53:42 PM »
It's not really a case of a good brand or type. It's more about cost.
Typically a pair of wristguards will cost £10-£15 and they will be fine. They are typical every day skating wrist guards with a plastic support that absorbs a lot of the impact when you fall.

You can pay more. I paid £35 for mine which are made of leather and have thick velcro straps to keep them tight. But essentially they all do the same job.

Projump dont seem to have wristguards for sale on their website but I know they used to sell them and I'd be surprised if they stopped.

Offline 01273maxim

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 01:58:43 PM »
Do you think these ones will be fine:
http://www.filarinskis.com/body-protection/dainese-hector-wrist-guards-black/prod_3656.html

Also about the website i found out the name of them and typed them in on the website and it said they hare out of stock and the ones you pre-order are also fully out so it may be some time since it comes back on.
 :PJ101Ian:

Offline BitLord83

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 03:23:08 PM »
Those guards should be more than adequate. I don't even think you need to go that expensive but we'll let the experts weigh in on that.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 06:44:22 PM »
Hi Maxim

They look nice but for that price you could get yourself a set of Flexmeter multisports

Flexmeters weigh in at £40 last time I looked but there is a way to get a discount thanks to Chris (Acroair)

Have a look here

http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=6836.0

About 5 posts down for a link to the discount

Clive and I both use Flexmeter and have had multiple falls in them so I can reccomend them highly

They go through the washing machine once a week in my case during the summer (a bit less winter time) and have lasted a couple of years and still going strong

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline 01273maxim

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 01:49:18 PM »
where can i practise running as the weather isn't good down in sussex

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 02:06:09 PM »
Running in the rain or any damp conditions is just asking for an injury.

Anything can make you fall after its been raining. Could be a leaf, a wet patch, a few bits of gravel, uneven surface, change of surface. Trust me, it's not worth learning the hard way.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 08:36:45 PM »
Why do you keep telling me to practice running in the park on wet days in autumn then Locky  :Claugh:

Had to mention this here

If you want to know about falls ask Clive

He did a beaut on monday in Staines it was a slow-mo bambi with legs going in all directions and he turned it int a very soft quiet lower to the ground

Now that takes skill to do especially in front or a big crowd  :Claugh:

Embarassment factor of 10+  :Cbiggrin: just wish I had a camera on him at the time

Jason  :Hoofies2:  :CGEEK:

Offline TomH999

• http://leedsbockers.webs.com
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 11:48:52 PM »
landed on my hand, fractured my finger, still bent lol.

Offline super-spring

• My You Tube
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 01:11:42 AM »
i have fallen a few times with just loosing balance or miss placing my feet but i find the best way when your going to fall is just go with the flow ... when your going down just go with it and relax and try put your hands down and land on your bum haha (away to get raged at here) i still havnt got any safety pads  :Cfrown: and im still living with all my bones in place :D but get safety pads  :CGEEK: im away to get some too ... soon  :Cwink:
Most kids play foot ball ... Or ride bikes or skate board... But me, I am no normal kid ! I love to bock !

Offline 01273maxim

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, 08:03:40 PM »
Should i buy some inner tubing to protect my springs even tho i have not used my bucks much ?
 :Straddle5:

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2012, 08:30:27 PM »
Don't buy it mate just pop into the nearest bike shop and offer to recycle there old punctured innertubes for them

Most bike shops don't mend punctures any more they just change the tube so they end up with loads in the bin and just chuck them

But yes cover them

Most of the damage done to springs are from transporting them in the back of a car with a few other sets or catching them together when you run or jump

I once took a chunk out of my spring protection by letting it fall over while putting the other one on  :Claugh:

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK: