Author Topic: Cycle Shoe Mod  (Read 8950 times)

Offline UpFromOne

Cycle Shoe Mod
« on: January 06, 2012, 05:07:05 AM »
Here's another mod for ya - I use Air Trekkers, and I removed the plastic footplates & bindings, then took an old pair of cycling shoes (custom fit), and mounted them to the horizontal bar. Simply drilled a hole in the heel with a flat head M6 bolt (head under the insole), and for the front made a tab to hold two M5 bolts and screwed them into the common M5 cleat holes of the shoes.

I really like this mod. The shoes are totally secure, and you can use just about any full-support Look-cleated shoe with good strapping on top. The shoe entry is just as easy as strapping in. Of course the custom bike shoes made the feet most comfy, but I noticed 3 immediate benefits.
1. My stilts are now down to 7.2 lbs each (not including the extra weight loss from not having to strap on bulky shoes). Much easier to move around in the air.
2. I was able to locate the shoes as far back on the square bar as possible (the heels are touching the vertical bar). This felt like it gave better fore/aft control, as the center of balance was not so far out in front of the pads.
3. The cycle shoes set the feet lower, so I could lower the calf rods 1/2". Doesn't sound like much, but this gave a more secure fit on the stilts and more control confidence.

Be glad to explain any of the above if I wasn't clear enough.
Here's a side shot, and close-ups of the mounting:
http://imageshack.us/g/338/at1side2.jpg/
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 05:12:07 AM by UpFromOne »

Offline BitLord83

Re: Cycle Shoe Mod
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 05:38:21 PM »
Nice mod! This is great. It looks great, and if it works a swell as you say it does, I'm sure it works and feels great. Does your foot actually stay solid when you're doing bigger jumps and other more strenuous things?

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 07:44:08 PM »
Well done UpFromOne

The powerskips walking foot model comes without any straps and your meant to bolt your shoes to them and it works really well

A lot of people like them like that but I prefer the straps for one reason

If I break a spring or do some other damage that mean the bocks are useless I would then be left walking around in my socks  :Claugh:

Nice mod mate

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline UpFromOne

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 10:42:18 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement!  The carbon soles on my shoes happen to have a large flat area, which makes them very stable on the square tubing. I'm totally confident with the bolt mounts.

As for the breakage thing, just keep a pair of sneakers in your backpack. Chances are you live a distance from a meet-up point, such that you'd have to wear regular shoes to get there anyway. These now are just like putting on skates, or anything else where the shoe is built in. I just like the control of the cycling shoes, as they are designed to accept an up-pull force by holding your feet secure. Mine do have laces but this would be even if the shoes only use velcro straps.

And don't think they save a substantial amount of weight; the plastic footplate with staps & buckles don't weigh that much, but these shoes give a much more direct feel and feedback as you bok. Most of my light weight is from titanium hardware & other minor mods.
I'll try to update once these have been in use for a while.

Got a link to, or a pic of, the "walking" model??

Offline BitLord83

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 02:44:04 AM »
Here is the link that shows you the walking footplate:

http://www.powerskip.de/mainpage3.html

Jason has also done an exo walking footplate mod.

Offline UpFromOne

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 08:35:41 AM »
Interesting, didn't know a flexing frame existed. We're SO behind the curve here!

It also looks like the AirTrekker "Extremes" are almost identical to your Exo Pro model.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 08:38:39 AM by UpFromOne »

Offline BitLord83

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 09:59:22 PM »
Yeah, the exo and the air trekkers are really the same stilt with a few differences based on where they're sold, like the air trekkers now have the plastic footplate and nicer bindings, whereas the exo's still have stuck with the metal plates under the foot. That link also has a picture of shoes bolted onto the frame which Jason mentioned.

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 11:56:29 PM »
I actually prefer the metal footplate and feel the plastic one is going backwards, the manufacturer was trying to push this on us during the last order but we decided to stick with the metal ones at the time

Offline SNuD

• PJF Contributor
    • N.E.W.C. Powerbockers
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 12:52:48 AM »
I actually prefer the metal footplate and feel the plastic one is going backwards,

Got to say I completely agree  :Cyes:

Isn't plastic for toys?  :Claugh:

Growing OLD is compulsory. Growing UP is optional. OPT OUT!

Offline BitLord83

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 05:36:04 AM »
I wasn't saying the plastic footplate was better, just that is a difference. Naz, I know some people have complained about the metal footplate not being supportive, etc. Is that just a rare few? Why has the manufacturer tried to go back to the plastic one?

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 04:45:24 PM »
I think its a cheaper alternative for them. We know some people have problems with the metal ones but when we did our testing we narrowed it down to the footwear worn - I guess its personal preference to be fair but we haven't had too many problems with them to warrant a design change. I know we had a bit of a fight on our hands the last time round and more than likely the same will happen again but I'll be trying our best to stay with the metal ones.

Offline BitLord83

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 05:49:18 PM »
That does make perfect sense. It looks like air trekkers are the lazy ones. Lol.

Offline UpFromOne

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 07:41:30 AM »
How about an optional small metal plate with pre-drilled holes to bolt up a standard 3-hole cycling shoe cleat? The only mod would be to drill a hole through the shoe's heel to have it attachable. Then you could just use whatever hard sole shoe you wanted, just like bike pedal systems.

What I like about the hard sole shoes is that all the downward energy goes into compressing the springs, nothing is wasted compressing a rubbery walking shoe sole on a plastic plate.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 08:22:50 PM »
Must add that I prefer the Metal one too

I broke a few plastic ones when I first started by catching the edge on steps but have never broken a metal one just bent them now and then

Offline Joe Legg

• What goes up! Must come down!
    • www.PushYourLimits.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 01:49:06 PM »
i just tried this mod as I normally bolt my shoes on my stilts. but I have to put the metal bits back on as my foot does not feel secure on the thin bar. sorry I dont like doing a bad review but this is what i found.

E-Mail: joe@pushyourlimits.co.uk
Latest Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3mB5yxMHjE

Offline XS

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 10:25:39 PM »
i just tried this mod as I normally bolt my shoes on my stilts. but I have to put the metal bits back on as my foot does not feel secure on the thin bar. sorry I dont like doing a bad review but this is what i found.

did you use a cycle shoe joe or just bolt a shoe on using the bracket he described.  A cycle shoe would behave very differently from a normal shoe bolted in this manner due to its rigid sole and being built for use bolted to a bicycle pedal.

Offline Joe Legg

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 11:32:48 PM »
I did not use a cycle shoe. just a Adidas samber trainer. You might be right with the cycle shoe. But it was not that the sole was not hard enough. it was that my heel did not stay on the thin bar but wobbled side to side when i jumped. I personal did not feel to safe and felt i was going to sprain my ankle. 

Offline XS

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 06:05:59 AM »
I did not use a cycle shoe. just a Adidas samber trainer. You might be right with the cycle shoe. But it was not that the sole was not hard enough. it was that my heel did not stay on the thin bar but wobbled side to side when i jumped. I personal did not feel to safe and felt i was going to sprain my ankle. 

The sole of a cycle shoe wouldn't have twisted, its got nuts built into a solid sole for attaching the cleat for clipping into a bike pedal.  With a normal, rubber soled shoe, you've definitely got to bolt down the heal and toe.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 10:45:22 AM »
Yep if you look at the pics closely the last one showa another bolt going through the heel of the cycle shoe so that was probably why yours moves Joe

The only reserve I have on this one is I like the extra giv that trainers allow whereas cycle shoes don't have any shock absorbing properties

I get sore feet at the end of a long session when my trainers are getting old and have lost their bounce so I would imagine cycle shoes would have the same effect on me  but some people will find them better if they don't need the extra padding

Offline Joe Legg

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 02:03:44 PM »
sorry just clearing this up. =) i did have a bolt in the back of my heel. it was just it was a normal shoe with a rubber soul that just bent round the small bar when i jumped. im sure a cycle shoe works fine now i know what they are.

Offline UpFromOne

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2012, 08:48:04 PM »
A quick update, all is holding fast with my carbon soled cycling shoes. Simply attaching a soft-soled shoe won't really work, as there is just too much dynamic force when jumping. So the soles have to be solid on the frame.