Author Topic: Relatively new modder looking for advice  (Read 5499 times)

Offline Driniad

Relatively new modder looking for advice
« on: February 26, 2012, 11:00:42 PM »
Hey guys, I've been off stilts for about 2 years now and I recently got back into it (yay). But I'm thinking I need new springs and all that and new hooves (allstars for hooves, who knew). And I'd like to give my pair a touch up.

Now, I'm around what, a good 6 foot now and I probably weigh more than I did the last time I did (2 years ago, yay!) I bought my brother's old bocks (may remember me or him some of you, i dunno. doubt it!) from him and touched them up a little at that time (I was what, 12 back then?) so now I've gotten back into it and my bocks look like this:

Foam guard has been removed since I took that picture and I could do with the knee bar replacing.
Now, since I'm stupid I'm not sure if taping the springs counts as modding and I'm considering taping it black and yellow - not sure what type of tape to use. I'd also like a colour to spraypaint the metal of the bocks with and I'm not sure if bronze of copper would go with it. The allstars make good hooves (yeeaaaah.) and I'm not entirely sure if I need to replace them but I'm thinking I'd need to take them off for the spraypainting and I'm worried about not being able to put them back on properly.

So, I need some suggestions - how do I improve this stuff? Should I get new hooves, how would I paint it, what are all of these mod suggestions like and I don't suppose some people could recommend me some improvements based on I usually run through Richmond or Kingston on them, occasionally through Richmond park, I get dehydrated easily and I need an easy supply of water, I have larger than average legs and I find that the straps holding my leg in don't fit around. I like making them stand out with a personalised colour scheme or original tweak to the bocks. (Showoff is me?) So I'm thinking what can I do to make them a little more fancy?

Thanks! Driniad/Ben (I think I might have posted this in the wrong place. Oops.)

Offline BitLord83

Re: Relatively new modder looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 03:04:21 AM »
Best quick reply I can give you, is to look at the "Mods" tab at the top of this site. Most of your questions will probably be answered there if you do some reading. Let us know what is left unanswered and we can help you from there.

As for water, that's a tough one if you're traveling. Probably a backpack and water bottle would work alright. If you want to spend some money, then a Camelbak or equivalent would work well probably. Neither of those would work well for jumping and doing tricks and stuff, but then you could just put your backpack on the ground while you do that.

Offline Driniad

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 08:18:42 AM »
Thanks for the advice, I overlooked that tab. I think my brother when he used these he didnt use the inner tubing before tape, so is there an easy wwy to remove duct tape or am I wrestling?

As for Camelbacks, yeah, jumping too much but thatd be nice. Ill look into getting one. Do they leak often?

Noticed there isnt anything on spraypainting and its simple enough but is there anything i should keep in mind while spraying? Would I need to take the bocks apart then put them back together, and is that hard to do?

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 08:36:47 PM »
Hi Driniad

Getting gaffer tape off is the devil itself if you used good stuff but why bother just tape over what is there
The weight premium would be minimum and it won't affect the action of the spring

The main problem with spraying bocks is that they are aluminium and pait won't stick to them very well unless you use an etching primer first
Some paints will stick but normally chip easily when dry or just rub off with any contact

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Driniad

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 10:53:28 PM »
Call the devil to burn it off for me, mmk

Alright, guess I'm taping it over. Any good brands of spray paint that are cheap but stick/don't chip too much and where do I get it from? And if it chips, what's a good way to keep it on? A layer of something else?

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 08:40:26 PM »
If you got to a good car accessory stor they will have an etch primer for ally and then you can spray anything you like over it (so long as it goes with the primer)

Other than that try something like Plasticoat that sticks to almos anything

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline super-spring

• My You Tube
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM »
hey dude :) got exact same stilts haha except mine have calf cuffs  :CGEEK: but i could send you my knee bars as i dont use them any more ? there in pritty good condition :) plus i have these buckle things that are attached to them which are a mod to hold you legs more and they are really really handy :o so how far away do u stay ?
Most kids play foot ball ... Or ride bikes or skate board... But me, I am no normal kid ! I love to bock !

Offline Driniad

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 02:21:14 AM »
Buckles.  :Cnotworthy: KNEE BARS  :Cnotworthy:

Only if you want to! I'm stoopid so I'd probably put them on the wrong way but still. c:
I live over in ham (Richmond? So yeah, it's probably impractical to bock all the way to london (It's near there!) from scotland, haha) How much would you be looking for for the bars? (postage, yay) And yay, snap for same stilts. Except calf cuffs. -saddown-
Sorry it took a while to get back to you.

(Still need that spray paint. Under 16s are not allowed so I gotta wait for family member to go to wilkos and grab me something ;( )

Offline super-spring

• My You Tube
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 07:11:30 PM »
i wouldnt ask nothing for them  :Csmile: just for you to pay the postage because im 14 haha and plus its a long way away. and there really good and in brill condition :)
Most kids play foot ball ... Or ride bikes or skate board... But me, I am no normal kid ! I love to bock !

Offline Driniad

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »

So I still haven't spraypainted them, but still.
Sorry for not getting back to you on those, spring, mind wandered elsewhere (Jason gave me new foam bars so I think I'll be okay though now.
The one on the left (your/my left) was done much better as for putting the tyre armour on.

Offline BitLord83

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 04:14:49 AM »
Wow, looks great! Super strong protection too.