Author Topic: Bocks on the way!  (Read 5116 times)

Offline Dreaminofcali

Bocks on the way!
« on: March 16, 2012, 07:50:36 AM »
Hey everybody! May names Ben, I'm in Portland OR, and not only am I new to the site but I'm so new to bocking that I don't have them yet!  :Ctwitcy: Just ordered some poweriser advanced and they should be here by Tuesday. Any advice for right out of the box? I'm thinking about filming opening them and my first steps (hopefully not falls lol). I haven't been this excited about anything in a long time. I'm open to any advice or even just whitty commentary.

p.s. they are from my girlfriend for my birthday next week and she thinks I'm crazy for wanting them.

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
Re: Bocks on the way!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 11:50:24 AM »
Hi Ben. A few people have filmed them from the box but it's been a while so please carry on.

Only advice is to take it slowly and it would be a good idea to find a wall or rail that you can learn to walk along. I'd suggest putting your stilts on at the wall/rail because it's unlikely you'll be able to walk to it if you put them on elsewhere lol.

Look forward to the video :)

Offline SNuD

• PJF Contributor
    • N.E.W.C. Powerbockers
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 01:31:19 PM »
Hi Ben, As Lockey says wall or railing is a good place to start. Try not to look down too much, don't walk with your toes turned out (the srpings hit together at the back) and you can't stand still. Good luck, have fun, think about some wrist guards and knee pads as well btw.
Look forward to seeing your vid.  :Csmile:

Growing OLD is compulsory. Growing UP is optional. OPT OUT!

Offline Dreaminofcali

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 04:59:45 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome. I've watched tons of videos and read hundreds of threads on here and the knowledge alone has given me confidence for my first time. I went out today and bought some knee, elbow, and wrist guards along with a bmx helmet. I'll be 27 on Wednesday and I don't heal quite as well as I used to so no unnecessary risks. Any advice on mods I should make to my bocks (for safety or strength?) I've never been into extreme sports so I'm kinda in the dark. And I will definitely post a video of my first day, I might even shave. Lol nice to know I have support even if it's all the way from the uk. Oh and just to smooth things over my fav band is led zeppelin. Rock on dudes!

Offline spring_loaded

• Determined to succeed
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 02:28:06 PM »
Not an expert but i would say use some sort of spring protection and hoof protection. Nothing worse than wearing your hoofs down so that there is no tread and your constantly slipping over. Hoof protection or £15 for a pair of new hoofs...no brainer really    :PJ1:

Offline Dreaminofcali

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 11:21:31 PM »
Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking. I definitely don't wanna damage them. I'm cool with having to eventually replace parts but I'd like to keep it to a minimum. Plus customizing is awesome.

Offline BitLord83

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 01:23:44 AM »
I'm from the good ol' USA so welcome from NY. Definitely spring protection at least. A good wrap of old bicycle innertubes and some hockey tape is your lightest cheapest option that works really well. Any other special designs of tape etc on top of that is up to you. From my personal experience, some crazy design and colors is cool at first but after a while you get tired of looking like a clown. I personally like plain black innertube. A good tutorial is in the mods section on this site. Oh, and tire socks are great. Just leave the wire in the tires for the most slip free install. Your local bike shops should have both old tires and punctured innertubes for free. You'll also need an Allen key and wrench to adjust your knee bars / calf cuffs. Good luck!

Offline Dreaminofcali

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 09:56:09 AM »
Well this process isn't going very well. Ordered a pair from getjumpingstilts.com last Thursday and after 6 days, 2 emails, and several unanswered phone calls the order still had not been processed let alone shipped. Luckily they had not taken the money yet. Sent them an email to cancel today and placed another order on eBay which was actually $30 cheaper since it has free shipping, plus it will be coming from the same state. I'm hoping this one doesn't go as bad as the last one because I really want my powerisers. Yesterday was my birthday and they are a present from my girlfriend and I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs. So in conclusion (lol), if your in the US and want some stilts don't use getjumpingstilts.com.

Offline BitLord83

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 04:42:26 AM »
getjumpingstilts.com is garbage. I've asked them questions via email several times and they've never answered. airtrekkers.com is great if you want to go with that style of stilt. Otherwise, probably poweriser.com or new, not used, stilts from a respected dealer on ebay.

Offline Dreaminofcali

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 09:05:16 AM »
Yeah I ordered some on eBay, just waiting for them to ship. Problem is I'm tired of waiting!! Hoping it goes a little easier this time.

Offline Dreaminofcali

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 12:16:50 AM »
Well it took almost a month of anticipation but I finally got my powerisers! Only had them on about half an hour and I'm exhausted. Lol they are a hell of a workout. Took me about 5 min or so to get my balance and I've done a very small amount of running (including falling on my ass once.) it's super rainy up here so the ground is slick but they are a blast. I took some crappy video of unboxing and my first time which I will upload at some point. I've never done video editing before so it could take a little time. Today is an awesome day.  :Cbiggrin:

And for my next trick:  :PJ101Ian:  :Straddle5:  :Becky:  :PJ101John:  :Nero: :banghead: :kidding: lol

Offline Rude Dog

• Radically Radioactive!
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 12:30:37 AM »
Awesome dude, I too am RAW and NOOBY to the MAX!
I've only had a go for about 10 minutes on mine, walked around my flat (single level apartment to Americans) for a bit.
How do you find them? I noticed the weight and the whole needing to remember the springs jutt out behind you thing a bit odd for starters but was pleased to be able to walk!  :Cyes:
Bocks: Pro-Jump Exo Pro / Air-Trekkers Extreme - CZ80s
I was sneaking and peeping and scoping the scene, you know copping a major 'tude,
when I cut loose this bunch of dweebs, boy time to teach them some rude! Eh, dog that is...

Offline Dreaminofcali

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 03:06:49 AM »
Yeah walking is a bit strange but I'm getting it. The strap by the knee isn't quite tight enough so I need to figure out a way to tighten it up. I'm thinking about some extra padding, just want to feel more secure. It took so long to get them and now I can only handle them for 20-30 min at a time I'm so out of shape. Lol time to change that.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 04:00:35 PM »
Ahh memorys of 20mins on bocks and not being able to breathe  :Claugh:

Now I can only manage about 10 mins  :Cbiggrin:

But seriously folks get along to WfL 10k and a hot summer day that will get you fit  :Cbiggrin:

Don't worry it soon becomes second nature and you will be spending all day on them and wishing there was more time

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Dreaminofcali

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 04:59:48 PM »
Well I'm not sore today which is good. I can't wait to go crazy on my bocks but the weather is so s**tty here. It rains more than 200 days out of the year. I already slipped on wet ground once so I'm gonna have to do some modifying for bad weather. Otherwise I'm gonna be doing it in my house and I have low ceilings lol.

Offline Rude Dog

• Radically Radioactive!
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 05:48:45 AM »
Chunky grip tyre socks for you then.  :Hoofies2:

*squee*
Bocks: Pro-Jump Exo Pro / Air-Trekkers Extreme - CZ80s
I was sneaking and peeping and scoping the scene, you know copping a major 'tude,
when I cut loose this bunch of dweebs, boy time to teach them some rude! Eh, dog that is...

Offline spring_loaded

• Determined to succeed
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 06:39:10 PM »
Bocking in wet conditions isnt good even if you do have sole protection.
Another thing, if your on them for long enough your back will start to ache.

Offline Dreaminofcali

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 10:56:14 PM »
I've had a little bit of body pain but not too bad. Of course I haven't spent too much time on them. Walking is getting a lot simpler and bouncing is getting higher. It's supposed to be warm sunny and dry this weekend so it's time to really give it a go.

Offline super-spring

• My You Tube
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 01:34:58 PM »
Hey :) welcome to the server, am sure u will like the stilts and the form alot  :Claugh: but yeah that video sounds amazing :) good luck on your first time dont go to mental  :PJ101John:
Most kids play foot ball ... Or ride bikes or skate board... But me, I am no normal kid ! I love to bock !