Author Topic: Lazy Tyre Spring Guards  (Read 3834 times)

Offline Rude Dog

• Radically Radioactive!
Lazy Tyre Spring Guards
« on: April 04, 2012, 07:35:35 PM »
Here are my lazy unlaced tyre spring guards, they took about 10 minutes to do.

There were metal rims around the 26" cycle tyre I bought so I removed them with a knife.

Then I cut the tyre to length and got some paracord and tennis racket grip tape to tie them on.

I have thus far tied them on in 5 places.

The cord is tied in a treble knot then taped together. I intend to get some cable ties to replace the paracord.

Bocks: Pro-Jump Exo Pro / Air-Trekkers Extreme - CZ80s
I was sneaking and peeping and scoping the scene, you know copping a major 'tude,
when I cut loose this bunch of dweebs, boy time to teach them some rude! Eh, dog that is...

Offline BitLord83

Re: Lazy Tyre Spring Guards
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 05:43:46 AM »
Hah! Love the color! Excellent protection too. Very good. And quick and easy isn't a bad thing!

Offline Rude Dog

• Radically Radioactive!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 06:10:23 AM »
I'm a bit sceptical as to if they will stay on, gotta give them a session to see what needs doing but as I said, I believe cable ties should also do the trick and be minimal effort.

:Becky:
I was sneaking and peeping and scoping the scene, you know copping a major 'tude,
when I cut loose this bunch of dweebs, boy time to teach them some rude! Eh, dog that is...

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 03:20:12 PM »
They look fab mate and I love the colour

Cable ties do work but with one big drawback
When you clip the tails off they leave sharp little points of plastic
This is fine till you do a spring grab while the spring is still moving  :Claugh: bit like trying to saw your hand off with a plastic saw
We had one guy come to a meet with a set laced up with cable ties and all we could hear was "Ouch Oww Ouch **** **** " did give us a laugh but he seemed to be bleeding a lot  :Claugh:
Lacing is best but you could just wind the cord round the tyre to make a cross pattern that would look good

Jason  :Hoofies2:  :CGEEK:

Offline Rude Dog

• Radically Radioactive!
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 04:16:49 PM »
Awesome tips! I was considering neatly lacing them but would need to buy a belt buckle hole punch to make the holes along the tyre and I've already forked out about £270 on bocking stuff so I'm trying to reel it in for a bit!  :Cconfused:

The cable ties cutting you is a very good thing to know! Thanks for the heads up! I may skip passed them and go right to the lacing then.

:Cnotworthy:

In other news I received my replacement buckle and have fitted it (the right strap did not tighten all the way due to a chipped tooth on the ratchet mechanism) So no I have safe buckles and guarded springs I can attempt jumping!

:Cyes:

Offline SNuD

• PJF Contributor
    • N.E.W.C. Powerbockers
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 11:27:57 PM »
yeh love the colour too. And jason is spot on abt the plastic ties we've seen it here as well! Funny though!  :Claugh:
As for the hole punch; a nail, block of wood and a hammer works well. As long as you keep it close to the wire bead in the edge of the tyre its good and keeps the laces out of harms way as well. :Cyes:

Growing OLD is compulsory. Growing UP is optional. OPT OUT!

Offline Rude Dog

• Radically Radioactive!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 08:33:16 PM »
I just ordered a belt hole punch on eBay for £2.49 so that is totally gnarly!