Author Topic: WHERE WILL I BE ABLE TO USE JUMPING STILTS  (Read 10523 times)

Offline jpleopard2

WHERE WILL I BE ABLE TO USE JUMPING STILTS
« on: July 10, 2012, 04:14:39 PM »
Hey, thanks for your help in advance guys.

Im considering buying a pair of Power jump exo's.

Before I buy them though, I wanted to have some things cleared up about their utility.

So:

1: Do they have to be used in a street? What type of terrain can they be used in? i,e: can i use them in a forest, can i use them on a gravel or pebble path. can they be used in a wet/muddy environment, snow environment, rainy environment, rocky, etc.

2: Do they really reach speeds of 40 km/h (25 mp/h) or is that the optimal speed achieved by experts in an optimal environment with the best powerbockers? So, will I be able to go down a straight and cleared road, and be able to sprint at 40 km/h and be able to hold that speed for a while?

3: Can they be used to go up hilly terrain, so up a slope.

4: I have a bicycle, I want to sell it to buy these powerbockers. WIll they be able to effectively replace my bike?

5: I really dont have that much money to spend on these things, but if the Pro version really will make that big of a difference in my experience then I would buy them. Is there really that big of a difference or is it just the calf cuffs and that other add-on?

Thanks again,

-John

Offline muncher

Re: WHERE WILL I BE ABLE TO USE JUMPING STILTS
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 05:00:10 PM »
Hey there John.. Welcome to the forum..
As to your questions..
1. You can use them pretty much anywhere except an extremely rocky environment..
Grass can be slippery, but the hooves can be altered with tyre socks.. There's one guy on here that does backflips on ice using specially adapted hooves..
2. Your speed on them is only limited by you.. I can manage normal running speed but it hurts my knees a bit.. Bit of an oldy, me..
The strides are longer but the stilts are heavy, so for me it works out about the same...
3. Slopes are ok as are stairs.. Takes practice, going down can be frightening as speed builds very quickly..
4. They will not replace your bike in terms of distance as it is much more physical But they will in terms of fun..
5. The calf cuffs are lighter than the other type, so that means you can jump higher and walk/run further in them...  they are also quicker to put on/take off..
It is a great sport and should def be tried by everyone.. Why don't you come along to a meet and see what you.think?

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 08:22:15 PM »
Agree with Muncher on all those comments

To add my bit   :Cbiggrin:

I can run at 20mph + for a short sprint and I am very overweight and not very fit
25mph is achievable over short distances
I would say that 15 mph is probably sustainable for a bit longer but you do use much more energy than you would running on your feet
I feel that a steady jog for a while would be possible if you were very fit but they won't replace a bike as transport unless the journey was only a mile or 2

As far as terrain is concerned I have used mine on muddy tracks (winter on a horse track) in water up to the footplate and in the snow very funny if you have the right hoofs on and even funnier if you don't  :Claugh: and on grass all the time

To second Munchers invite come along and try some if you are near London we meet most sundays

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline jpleopard2

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 09:32:13 PM »
I wish I could :( I'm in Germany, and headed out to the USA in a bit. Thanks for the info, i think I may go through with it.

I'm gonna be in upstate NY, so it's going to be very snowy, so I wanted to make sure I could do it.

I think I may do the more expensive pro ones too, not sure yet

Thanks for any other info!

Offline muncher

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 09:45:42 PM »
Tell us when you're going.. We know at least one NY bocker, and there must be others.. P

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 12:00:00 AM »
I think its fair to say for 99% of people these stilts are for FUN first and excersize second and definitely not as a mode of transport.

On unusual terrain it is safer to bounce than run. Infact as long as its not a crazy bumpy or spikey surface than I think you could jump on almost anything.

Offline Davido

• The Ego
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 01:09:20 PM »
I walked about 2/3 of a mile in them and was ruined. Its fun but definitely no match for a bike for transport.

Offline jpleopard2

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 01:48:10 PM »
Interesting. Thanks for the input, def not gonna sell my bike then.

I was trying to justify buying them to myself by saying they would be my new transportation method haha. Now, I'm gonna have to admit I'm buying them purely for fun.

Thanks again,

-JP

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 12:11:44 PM »
Justify it to yourself this way mate  :Cbiggrin:

You will get very fit while having lots of fun (it builds different muscles to a bike so use both)

Any money you spend on them will be a saving in the end because you will spend lots of time on the Bocks and so spend less money on other things

So you see you are actually saving money and improving your health by getting some  :Claugh:

And if you do fall over on them (lets make that When  :Cbiggrin: you fall) remember the old adage of

"Chicks love scars" so that side of thing will improve too  :Claugh:

It's a win win situation  :Cbiggrin:

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Ps If your married remind the wife that she can insure you for large amounts (She may even buy you a set mine did)  :Claugh:

Offline clive

• Elite Member
  • jump as high as you can ,,worry about the landing
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 10:06:53 PM »
oh jason lol you sure have a way of giving me a good laugh even just by reading your post ...nice wording mate see you sunday should be a good day  :Straddle5: :Becky:

Offline BitLord83

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 05:06:05 AM »
I'm from NY and know a couple of people as well. I'm mid upstate. Please do tell where you'll be!