Author Topic: Barging in from the US  (Read 2989 times)

Offline Spring-Fed

Barging in from the US
« on: October 26, 2012, 05:02:28 PM »
That silly hunk of dirt across the Atlantic. I'm here because I've been avidly wanting a pair of spring stilts but over here in the US they appear to be quite hard to aquire. The only online store I can find in the US that still has stilts, or even a website, is Air-Trekkers and I've heard....mixed feelings about them.

Sad to find out I can't buy a pair from across the sea I'm rather stumped about where to get a pair these days.

Offline super-spring

• My You Tube
Re: Barging in from the US
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 06:26:11 PM »
Might be completely wrong here haha but cant you just order from ebay or that and get them shipped over ? 
Most kids play foot ball ... Or ride bikes or skate board... But me, I am no normal kid ! I love to bock !

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 07:12:52 PM »
Not sure but think it is a patent issue

I know that PJ can't sell in some countrys without the permision of the patent holder and seem to remember that the US was one of them (Might be worth asking in cas it has changed)

One way round it is if you have a good friend in a country that can be supplied get them to forward a pair to you (of course spares would be a bit of a problem and any warrenty returns would be a nightmare)

Think there were a couple of companys selling them over there so it might be worth contacting one of the other guys over there to see where they get theirs from
A couple of people on here are from the US i think XS was one of them

He posts on this old thread about half way down so try sending him a PM to see if he is still around and can help

http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1006.25

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline XS

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 09:37:22 PM »
you're just not looking in the right places, there easily available in the US.

Air-Trekkers are the same as Pro-Jumps sold here, they're pretty solid, cheap, good customer service.  http://www.air-trekkers.com/

Powerisers are another option, from my testing, more expensive and not as good quality. Your best service would be from http://dcpowerstilts.com/  That site is run by a bocker for bockers.

7 League-Boots are the 3rd brand, though the US distributor looks to be shut down.  They were also more expensive for a questionably better product.

Offline Spring-Fed

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 05:58:01 AM »
I know about air-trekkers and powerisers. However contrary to what you are saying XS from what I've read powerisers are of superior quality to air-trekkers. Though both sides are rather shady on their negative info. So I should go for air-trekkers? The thing that worried me about them is how the underfoot support bar seems like it's bolted to the spring.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 11:28:03 AM »
Over here mate we had several differing types/styles

I have been in a nice position in that I could try most of them over long periouds of time

So Air Treckers (aka CZ series or Exo's over here) verses Powerisers

Firtsly the old powerisers had good springs and a good frame as far as the older styles went
The second generation (The one with ballrace bearings and cuffs) got a bad name over here for falling apart

This assuming you are talking of PoweriSers not PoweriZers they were two different beasts

The newer style stilts (CZ/Exo/Air Treckers) had a few problems to start with and a few ongoing issues with some suppliers

First the new type hoofs (all rubber with the nuts molded in ) are far superior to the old style that had an ally bit with the rubber bolted to it
They last a reasonable time and give good grip but are quite expensive to replace (hence I screw bits of motorcross tyres on mine)

The bracket at the rear of the foot breaking has been cured over here with a beefed up bracket and I havn't seen one break for a long time now

Springs are always a sticky point but I believe the Cz are the best springs that have been made to date (and that includes Powerskip springs)

They give very good response and I can get more height with ease against the older types of springs

As for springs breaking I am rather heavy and have in the past broken a few springs  having used both types I would recon that the new CZ springs are less prone to breaking that the older ones and that is reflected over her in one simple way
PJ offer a 3 month warrenty on CZ springs and they only used to offer a 1 month one on the older types

Bearings on both types of stilts tend to wear out after a while but there are several ways of making them last a lot longer (gluing them into the housing works for me )

So to sum it all up the CZ/Exo/Air Treckers are a no brainer win for me

Offline Spring-Fed

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 02:55:15 PM »
Awesome ATs it is. Unfortunately over here in the states bockers aren't very popular  or seen much at all so information on those available here is shady at best. Hard to find any third party reviews outside of their own testimonials.

And I did mean poweriSers, quick google search and I couldn't find poweriZers so yeah. Though I did come up with a NiMH rechargeable battery called Powerizer.

It'd be wise to wait till spring to get a pair though with winter right around the bend.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 06:06:47 PM »
PoweriZers are still for sale out there mate

I can't put a link up here for obvious reasons but Aliexpress sell them but I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole now the CZ model is out

In their day thay were a reasonable cheap set of stilts but they are now behind the times and I think it is just selling off old stock so spares may be iffy in the future

We bock through the winter here  :Claugh: even been out in the snow a few times (yes it is a bit dicey but fun  :Cbiggrin: ) and there are always gym meets (thats where you learn in safety anyway)

Don't worry about lack of people on them in your area as there are always a few more nutters that will want some once you let them have a go  :Cbiggrin:

Offline BitLord83

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 01:37:45 PM »
I'm in the US (NY). My second pair of stilts are air trekkers and the customer service is excellent. I had one of my springs break (rare) and I emailed the guy pictures. Within a week I had a new pair of springs at no cost to me. Also their waranty is even better than pro jump. They warranty all parts AND the springs for a full year. Definitely go with air trekkers. If you ask, he will even look for a more specific spring size for you (low 90's, high 110's, etc).