Author Topic: Idea to get the forum alive again  (Read 6800 times)

Offline Davido

• The Ego
Re: Idea to get the forum alive again
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 01:49:44 PM »
I would like to say that I suggested that in the other thread so I demand partial creative credit  :Claugh:

Offline spawnyb

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 02:00:43 PM »
I think the French events would be a good start as far as what type of events. 

Probably two areas - something similar too gymnastics, where you do 2 routines / sets (a compulsory and then voluntary).

And then as Locky said typical track and field type stuff.  High jump, long and short runs etc. (Maybe not javelin)  :Cno:

You could also do a cross between hurdles and showjumping with barriers and a distance (sand pit) to clear within a time limit.

As for categories, you could always have qualifiers with a certain number going into the Pro comp for the Cup, and then the rest carrying on for the lower level?

Anyway....food for thought.

Hmmmmmmm........Why did I buy these again?!?!?!?

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 07:16:52 PM »
Yep Locky you took the words right out of my mouth
If you think your hard enough you can play with the big boys
Or you can join me in the shallow end but not both

How about an obstacle course we could make use of the local features so at Cardiff it could be something like
Up the steps over one of the seats at the to turn back and climb/vault over the rail and bounce down the seat bits over the high jump and a sprint to the far side steps with two tricks on the way (maybe not but you get the idea)

And a smaller version for me  :Claugh:

Jason   :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 07:32:51 PM by Jason »

Offline Gremlin

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 08:02:53 PM »
Im liking the idea of being encouraged and taught, ive been on the stilts about 6 times now and without the help of Clive, Jason and Gizmoqueen i still wouldnt be able to jump but without them 3 and david and oli making it a laugh and giving me a bit of confidence them i wouldnt of even tried.

But at the same time i do get imtadated by david by how far he has come in such a short time while i still panic trying to jump on to something small lol

So basically im up to being taught but i still need the right encouragement to do more but id still be a "wallflower" with so many better bockers around 

Offline clive

• Elite Member
  • jump as high as you can ,,worry about the landing
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 11:02:55 PM »
ROY......dont wory your get there we all take our timesome more than others ,yes david is doing really well but when god was handing out fear he forgot to give david his lol..anyway when i got mine on i didnt even think it was possable to jump over anythink or on anythink untill i got to know jason,then we both try going for stuff we never would have done,being around other bockers your learn very fast and get to pick things up easy...your doing very well for the time you time you have been on them..keep going.. :Cwink:

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2013, 12:07:25 PM »
Agree with Clive there Roy you are doing just fine mate
I had been blocking about 8 months when I met Clive and could only just jump over a 6 inch block of wood on the floor and that took 10 mins of getting ready  :Claugh:
We all progress at our own speed and do the things we are comfy with
I started learning how to flip a couple of years ago and realised that an unfit 19 stone old guy was a bit more likely to break his neck when he landed on his head  :Claugh: so I have been working on losing the weight and hopefully getting fit again
Next step is flip on a trampoline and then stilts and crash mats again
Only taken me two years so far  :Claugh:
So Roy in comparison to that you are a BL**day fast learner  :Cbiggrin:

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Gremlin

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2013, 06:51:10 PM »
The group just for fun can just do stupid events or try and make events where they can practice and get better at it like having a competition where they start to jump up on to a step then 2, 3 etc and the winner is the one who gets up to the most steps, but they are also learning at the same time, or a running race so they can learn how to run etc. :Cwideeyed:

Offline Davido

• The Ego
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2013, 09:08:36 PM »
Just while I think of it, we always used to have team events when we did stunting. Just something else you could throw in to add some variety.

We did it differently each year:

One year we had already established teams competiting, scoring according to skill. The following year teams were drawn out of a hat and were judged on how entertaining they were. This added a different element to the competition and also got people together who otherwise may not even have spoken.

Just some ideas!

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2013, 09:27:12 PM »
Could be a fan idea there mate
If we made the teams up out of one expert ( must be able to flip) one useless old hand (done it for ages and still falls over all the time) one improver and one compete novice
That would level the field and give the experts a good reason to teach well  :Claugh:

Think we could field a team out of the banned all we need is a novice  :Cbiggrin:

Jason  :Hoofies2:  :CGEEK:

Offline Greggles

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • BOCK IT AND ROCK IT
    • www.eabockers.com
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2013, 06:37:02 PM »
locky the best thing i saw rob do that day was us going go on do the set one one one he slammed his head got back up and after sitting down for a few mins tryed again and did it thats the kind of stuff im talking about i know its a fear factor thing but people can do the most amazing things and without giving it a go and having the "oh im not good enough" attitude that seams to be plaguing the bocking world atm you just aren't going to learn anything even when i tried to teach some people that weekend as soon as i left them to there own devices to get on while i taught someone els they just sat back down -_- that kind of people just makes me not want to waste my time teaching iv said on numerous occasions that if people want to come to my gym in stowupland here in suffolk i will gladly spend the hole session off my stilts helping people learn new skills and the basics its a shame the gym we use dosent have much equipment to play with well they have a few things but not enough small mats or things to jump over i would like to have another day like we did a few years back in Lincoln when pro jump was sponsoring it and clive b was running it as it had good advertisement and lots of things there i would be more than happy to host something like that the gym we used to run ours at in bury would have been perfect for it but they dont like us using their crash mats any more :( i put it to Naz if i can find somewhere big enough and put the effort in to advertising and getting people down will projump sponsor the event and send me some try before you buy stilts that i can get the general public in to have a go im sure Bury St Edmunds or surrounding places would be more than glad to host the event the only problem i have is that its not very central its not to bad for people in London and up towards Birmingham but you welsh s***s would have a bit of a trek and anyone up t' north but then again i have driven miles in the past for some fun so why cant you :)

so let me know by PM or on here Naz if you like my offer or if anyone els would like to take on a big event i will be more than happy to help organise it