Author Topic: bottoming out  (Read 7724 times)

Offline adzi

• i cant stop posting i really cant help it
bottoming out
« on: August 02, 2007, 11:59:03 AM »
once your pro jumps start bottoming out how long do they last untill uyoiu neede a new pair

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
Re: bottoming out
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 12:17:48 PM »
once your pro jumps start bottoming out how long do they last untill uyoiu neede a new pair
How long is a piece of string?
Everyone seems to treat bottoming out as a bad thing, IMO it is good as you are getting maximum compression from the springs (allowing maximum bounce), and if you are inside or under the weight limit, it also shows you have good technique :)

If you're bottoming out sometimes it gets annoying as you can feel the impact on each bounce from two parts hitting each other, so you may want higher weight springs because of this.
If you're not getting optimum height when bottoming out you may also wish to upgrade springs.

If you're bottoming out and then going 5-6ft in the air though, nothing to worry about ;)

Offline adzi

• i cant stop posting i really cant help it
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 12:20:19 PM »
i was just wondering cuz mine dont bottom out yet but i would like them to so i was wondering if i did get them to bottom out would i need a new pair but you answer that so cheers

adam

Offline Mattio160

Re: bottoming out springs !!!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 10:35:28 PM »
right then, you keep bottoming out, i have never tryed this as i have not baught them yet but my mate has

he has a little rubber thing underneath the shoe part which stops the metal hitting...

i have a good idea, someone should try it, get 2 springs axactly the same that fit just around them, then super glue them onto the rubber thing, so when u bottom out the spring helps you not to,
juts an idea i duno if it would work but it should help. i might try it

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 11:11:15 PM »
i have a good idea, someone should try it, get 2 springs axactly the same that fit just around them, then super glue them onto the rubber thing, so when u bottom out the spring helps you not to,
I don't think this would help at all, as it will stop you getting full compression out of the spring for jumping. Therefore you won't get as much height.
Also, downwards force would cause the entire extra spring to compress, so you would still be bottoming out but without max spring compression.
Bottoming out is not a bad thing, it shows you have good technique!

i have never tryed this as i have not baught them yet but my mate has
How can you be giving out advice on this and running if you have never tried them?

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
  • KATIEE :D <3
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 04:54:12 PM »
hmm my m8 been on his for 4 months and he bottomed out for a hole week when on stilts and his right spring has now snapped  ??? bottoming out cant be that good for your stilts??

i carnt spel... or maybe you cant read ;)

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 05:01:33 PM »
If you are bottoming out consistently like that then you need the next one up, when you bottom out you are putting a lot of force on the spring as well check out this for further info http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1047.0

Bottoming out is only a good thing sometimes

When is “Bottoming Out” a good thing?
•Only if “Bottoming Out” happens occasionally or when you are putting a lot of power in them, is it a good thing.

•When you are “Bottoming Out” and getting the maximum compression from your springs, yet you notice that you are getting more height on your bounce! (If you see the picture of Ian below, he bottom’s out yet he gets excellent height on his flip)

•Also if you are within your weight limit or under it and you manage to bottom them out, you actually have got a very good technique so well done!

Dark Knight

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 05:40:17 PM »
I don't think this would help at all, as it will stop you getting full compression out of the spring for jumping. Therefore you won't get as much height.
Also, downwards force would cause the entire extra spring to compress, so you would still be bottoming out but without max spring compression.
Bottoming out is not a bad thing, it shows you have good technique!

i have never tryed this as i have not baught them yet but my mate has
How can you be giving out advice on this and running if you have never tried them?
I can see what your thinking, more of a slow down rather than a quick stop !?
But like Sprog pionts out you'd find your limit is less and you'd bottom out still.

Has for " How can you be giving advice" ?
ADVICE means  simple "that appears to me" or "it seemed so to me"
Anyone can give advice but to what level of knowledge they have on the subjuct is different thing and means they may not have the best advice  :)

Offline GRS

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 11:25:40 PM »
 :offtopic: from me
But it gets really confusing when people quote, quotes within quotes, is there a way you can take the time to separate the quotes as at times its unclear who said what.
Sorry DK this isn't aimed at you but it happens all the time and some posts have a few quotes quoted and then its really confusing :(

Dark Knight

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 12:05:00 AM »
:offtopic: from me
But it gets really confusing when people quote, quotes within quotes, is there a way you can take the time to separate the quotes as at times its unclear who said what.
Sorry DK this isn't aimed at you but it happens all the time and some posts have a few quotes quoted and then its really confusing :(
See what you mean ?

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 12:05:45 AM »
My simple answer to this question is  :laugh:(no comments about simple  :laugh:)

If you bottom one spring out occasionally when landing no problem

If you bottom both ov them out as you attain enough height to frighten yourself again no probs

But if you are bottoming out both springs all the time and thinking I can go higher than this easily you have one of the following problems

1- You are really really good and should go profesional (we all hate you you bl**dy smart a**   :nana:) only joking  ;D
2- You are a complete lunatic (get a video camera we want to see the accident  :laugh:)
3- You have the wrong weight get stronger springs
4- You have worn your springs out get another set

1 and 2 your good to go but do video every thing you do we might learn a lot from you

3 and 4 are hard to tell apart I had 4 and the same weight springs cured all my problems

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 12:40:29 AM »
Good explaination there jason. Proberly the best yet on this post. :banana: