Author Topic: running.. then stopping?!  (Read 19154 times)

Offline harry

running.. then stopping?!
« on: August 22, 2007, 07:24:36 PM »
hi i was wondering if any of u know a good way to actually come to a stop quickly after running.... because atm when im practsing in my back garden i just basically run into the like 7ft gate at the end of my garden to actually stop but the other day when i ran to my mates house on my bocks i found it quite diffcult to actually stop and had the odd moment with a car. :)  so yeh any ideas....

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
Re: running.. then stopping?!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 07:37:57 PM »
go into a dive and fall over   never fails

Offline DePaw

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 07:43:47 PM »
Well, the trick is to slow down a bit before you must stop. Like with running normally. And practise...

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 07:46:54 PM »
ok 2 ways  gradual ease up(look at how a sprinter stos  and do that)   or  convert the foreward momentum into an upward 1  and 'shift' into jumping up.  You will never however  stop 'on a dime' on these things if travelling at speed. Just like a car be aware of your stopping distance

Offline English-tailor

• Elite Member
  • Piste off MoFo's
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 08:06:07 PM »
hi i was wondering if any of u know a good way to actually come to a stop quickly after running.... because atm when im practsing in my back garden i just basically run into the like 7ft gate at the end of my garden to actually stop but the other day when i ran to my mates house on my bocks i found it quite diffcult to actually stop and had the odd moment with a car. :)  so yeh any ideas....

If you are running at speed you cant stop quickly. I transfer my forward momentum into quick almost running on the spot movements. It helps to slow down, but you still, as Bmthbloke has already mentioned,must be aware of you stopping distances.

Dark Knight

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 08:23:51 PM »
Someone bound to come up with a chart one day of stopping distances  ;D

There you are taking your Bocking Test

Now sir. What isthe stopping distance of a bocker traveling at 20mph on a dry road ?

Arr ... Mmm ...  I don't know I just fall over !?

LOL

Offline DePaw

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 08:29:37 PM »
lol. Bocking Proficiency tests... If you fall over, stopping distance is the same as your height! LMAO!

Offline Bigg Hungry Phill

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 08:47:02 PM »
despite being a n00b, the running I have done has wielded the result that naturally, when I want to stop I begin to take small, rapid steps, generally lifting my legs higher and leaning back slightly. 
Each small step lets you change a small amount of the forward momentum which you had into upwards momentum, whilst leaning back decreases the amount of momentum which is transferred forwards by changing the angle of contact between the pad and the ground, reducing the forward component.

This is, for me at least, a natural response with some basic (potentially incorrect) mechanics applied.

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 08:52:37 PM »
Think abut it --isnt that just what a runner does at the end of the 100m?

Offline Bigg Hungry Phill

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 09:07:36 PM »
Very true BbmthBloke, In my eagerness to post something of worth, I missed that you manged to say the same thing in about a third of the words.

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 09:15:22 PM »
No phil, what I ment to show was just that what we are doing is not amazingly different. Its just BIGGER than normal.  So there are not new and different ways to do things. Its in soo many ways  just like on our feet   just more so ;D

So if 1 meets a problem. Dont think how do I do this on bocks, but, what would/do I do on my feet ;D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 09:33:34 PM by Bbmthbloke »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 09:20:52 PM »
You've got a point there Q I used to run into walls when I was a kid now I do it on bocks  ;D

Got a laugh at out of the people when I did it at Trafalgar sq

Dark Knight

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 09:47:05 PM »
lol. Bocking Proficiency tests... If you fall over, stopping distance is the same as your height! LMAO!

Wronge !
I must have be flying for at least 2 meters before I even hit the road then I went  another 4 !

Hand your bocks back  ;D

Offline Trixter

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Leapfrog Expert
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 10:30:41 PM »
i found a good way to help stop quickly isto get into a bounce as soon as you realise that you need to stop, as when you are jumping u are able to jump in one spot and not move forward if done correctly or at least well enough to fall over on the spot if you dont lol but its better then runnin into a mercedes like i nearly did i opted for fallin on the floor

Dark Knight

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 10:47:46 PM »
i found a good way to help stop quickly isto get into a bounce as soon as you realise that you need to stop, as when you are jumping u are able to jump in one spot and not move forward if done correctly or at least well enough to fall over on the spot if you dont lol but its better then runnin into a mercedes like i nearly did i opted for fallin on the floor

OR you could have ended up with a Mercades BENT  ;D

Offline Trixter

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Leapfrog Expert
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 10:56:14 PM »
yea i chose to eat the floor instead of a merc comin at me at about 25mph if id had mine a lil bit longer i think i may of been stupid enuf to try and jump it lol, i may try jumping a mini soon tho like vault over it will post pics and videos of how it goes

Offline Mike!

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 02:15:57 PM »
I find when I want to stop really fast I naturally tend to bend my back and legs as much as I can, which I find helps to absorb energy

Offline Trixter

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Leapfrog Expert
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 12:03:22 AM »
be carefull doing that mike you can really damage your back if not put it out, i jared mine at london doing that luckily it wasnt too bad but i know a few bockers who have seriously hurt their backs from doing just that

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2007, 09:32:26 AM »
I do understand what you mean Mike I do something similar it's like taking the energy out of the springs and you end up hunching and letting your knees sort of kick up under you it works well and feels safe unless the hoof slip

I haven't  found that it hurts my back when stopping like that but like trixster says if you bend your back and try to stop by turning the energy into height you can really jar your back like jumping without your back straight not a good idea

I only did that once and it hurt  ;D

Dark Knight

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2007, 09:53:45 AM »

When learn to stop quickly is a good rule idea to remember how long it took to get up to that speed ! How ever long it took is more likely less than it'll take you to stop !
If you can run then unless you have a VERY big garden go up the road let the public see how much fun your having  ;D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 08:57:27 AM by Dark Knight »

Offline Trixter

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Leapfrog Expert
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2007, 09:57:29 PM »
i have a 250 ft garden i could run it but its got apple trees n stuff in the way n i cant run round them easyily as ther slightly large lol

Dark Knight

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2007, 10:49:21 PM »
i have a 250 ft garden i could run it but its got apple trees n stuff in the way n i cant run round them easyily as ther slightly large lol
All round to Trixster's for a meet  :o
Capital Orchard Bocking  ;D

Offline Trixter

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Leapfrog Expert
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2007, 03:09:28 AM »
my mum goes away at sum point soon so if you guys wanna come over for abit of bockin sumwer could come back to myne for a bbq n a beverage lol

Offline DePaw

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2007, 10:56:12 AM »
oh! when?

Offline Trixter

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Leapfrog Expert
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2007, 08:15:13 PM »
goes away the 26th but ur invited ne time depaw lol  :-*  ::)