Author Topic: AS level project, your comments can help me  (Read 5372 times)

Offline Hilly-of-the-Marshes

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
AS level project, your comments can help me
« on: September 06, 2007, 08:11:28 PM »
Hi guys, i no iv mentioned it before in passing, but for this years design tech project, i'm building a bock rack, which i can wear on my back. Now it would be really helpful if you could post comments, including what you think of some of my ideas, which i'll be posting as the year goes on, mostly before xmas hopefully. I havnt got anything rite now, but by the end of next week i will, most probably.

Because the rack holds bocks, bockers are, naturally, my tarket market, which is why ur ideas will give me the perfect boost in my market research pages, which is an important section, and i may even make several polls 2 aid my coursework on wot u'd prefer it 2 b made of etc.

Thanks

Offline DePaw

Re: AS level project, your comments can help me
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 11:11:25 AM »
Neat! I love the idea! Carrying bocks around is the worst bit as they're heavy and cumbersome. Few ideas, make sure it's as light as possible as the bocks are heavy enough. Also perhaps some pockets/something to put pads in? Hope it goes well...

Offline Sx Nutta

• Elite Member
  • No Brains Required
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 03:44:31 PM »
You need a pad to protect the consumers back, from either the springs or the footplate, do you use any design software? If so which ones?

Fire is good!
But Fire is better when you are spinning or breathing it!
Burn Scars are for life!
Chicks dig dudes with cool burn scars!

Offline steve76

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 03:56:47 PM »
a water bottle holder would be nice.. or even a customised flask thing attatched to this holder.. and obviously ud need to make sure you could keep this on your back while bocking.. infact!... why not double it up as a back protector?.. very nice project indeed, good luck to ya! :D

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 04:00:25 PM »
Im sure it was Becky that mentioned that she has learned to balance them so that the knee bar rests on her shoulders and the footplate rests near her waist that way she is Hands free...

I tried it and it worked however its not that secure and a little nudge would knock them over but it was quite comfy and not obstructive - try it and you'll see what I mean!

If the rack could be designed so the bocks rest in that sort of way then you may also be able to incoporate Steve's idea.

Dark Knight

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 05:30:10 PM »
Can't help you  :o
I'm working on my own idea for one  ;D

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 05:32:48 PM »
Sharing is caring and all that  :D

Dark Knight

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 06:12:51 PM »
Well OK.
Well Becky's got then upside down ! :o

Only got a half working model ( I've got the bits just got to put all together )

What you need :-
1 Water arm band ( two squares not tube type )
( this is the bit I'm still working on )
1 Belt
1 A pair of braces
1 small bar ( 125mm apx )

First cut arm band in half.
Half blow them up.
Place one in each footplate.
Turn them upside down so the hoof is in the air.
Rest the footplates pad on your shoulder.
The hoop should now be near the belt.

This is still the bit I'm working on ( can't make up mind how it all fits together !? )
The hoop clip onto the belt/braces
The bar fit on the front of the foot plate and holds them apart
The bar then fits to the braces
Which clip to your belt.

The hoof is now above your head and just in your view line so you will not hit anything . Your Bocks don't stick out to far behind you ( smooth spring is pionting out wards ). The hoof maybe above your normal height but there lower then you'd be if bocking so you know if you'd things. The hoof should be clean so it would wet or covered in mud !? But you could alway make a cover bootie for them !?

Happy now I've given you my idea !?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 06:14:31 PM by Dark Knight »

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 06:17:59 PM »
Now we know you care enough to share :) Sounds interesting look forward to the pics

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 07:50:50 PM »
Anyone that was early at Capital bocking and saw me arrive will have seen that I was carrying mine on my back with my Bocksack
It consists of 4 webbing straps and a nylon bag

You invert the bocks and run a strap theough the footplate and the hoop support thus tieing them together then fit one strap top and another at the bottom which when joined form the straps of a rucksack

All your gear (pads helmet etc) go in the bag which then ties and velcros to the back of the bocks put the whole thing on you back and away you go

It is fairly comfy without a pad as the bocks are sideways and don't seem to dig in

I'll try to get a couple of pics up later

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 08:14:09 PM »
Personnal I still think a servant is the best opition .....'Barer... my bocks!!'

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 09:23:02 PM »
Hear you go Hilly have a look here feel free to use any ideas you like and make youself a pair if you want

http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1021.msg11879#msg11879

Jason

Dark Knight

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 02:17:36 PM »
Well OK.
Well Becky's got then upside down ! :o

Only got a half working model ( I've got the bits just got to put all together )

What you need :-
1 Water arm band ( two squares not tube type )
( this is the bit I'm still working on )
1 Belt
1 A pair of braces
1 small bar ( 125mm apx )

First cut arm band in half.
Half blow them up.
Place one in each footplate.
Turn them upside down so the hoof is in the air.
Rest the footplates pad on your shoulder.
The hoop should now be near the belt.

This is still the bit I'm working on ( can't make up mind how it all fits together !? )
The hoop clip onto the belt/braces
The bar fit on the front of the foot plate and holds them apart
The bar then fits to the braces
Which clip to your belt.

The hoof is now above your head and just in your view line so you will not hit anything . Your Bocks don't stick out to far behind you ( smooth spring is pionting out wards ). The hoof maybe above your normal height but there lower then you'd be if bocking so you know if you'd things. The hoof should be clean so it would wet or covered in mud !? But you could alway make a cover bootie for them !?

Happy now I've given you my idea !?

Up date you don't need the belt or braces  :o
All you needs is a ..... well I'll make it (it's small ) then show you ? Monday ( if I'm right )  :o
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 02:19:17 PM by Dark Knight »

Dark Knight

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 02:38:16 PM »
Sorted it all out !
Just buy a pair of water armband and two ..... bugger got it on buy some myself before shop shuts  :o
Back later with the answer ;D

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2007, 06:00:00 PM »
wow, i didnt expect evry1 2 b quite as helpful so soon, but i dont need exact instructions, just things that u think r important, and also its not going 2 b a bag, more like a rack that fits on to my back, but i dont want 2 hav 2 wear it whicle bocking, which is why i came up with the idea 2 fit a bike lock 2 it, so i can lock it 2 a fence while i bounce.

and P.S. my design tech teachers loved the idea, but i still havnt shown em the bocks, i'll be doing that next week hopefully

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2007, 06:26:17 PM »
to a great extent  1 suspects, for the purposes of this academic exersice, it doesnt matter if the final design (will it be just a design or will you actually make 1?) is pants, tho 1 hopes its fab. Its to be a thourgh and documented. Technical and market research that is the most important thing here. Tho be good if it is really fab and it gets takn up  and sold and you have to pay loads of money to Alexander Bock in royalties ( he invented spring loaded jumping stilts and I believe that he can ask for a cut of any money made of the back of them). But you are free to email Herr Bock ( Sprog will, Im sure have the addy) and ask his ideas ( others have and I believe he is quite nice and helpful ( with the rider that nothing appears on the web) tho he never posts anything he knows whats going on  :o.

! seems to recall the demand of maths questions 'show your workings' --out of 20 final result got 3 points...'workings' 17.

So peeps are asking for loads and loads of features, you are thinking of very few features. So  1 thinks  are there 2 designs here? THe MAX and LITE?

Re Water, at 80 p a 500ml bottle. Ive caluclated that im probably spending as much on liquids as I am on bocking (  cost of stilts + pads divided by time using them)  and that just doesnt seem right ---but then I guess 1 could see it as a utility or tax  and no 1 likes them

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 08:21:34 PM »
OK guys thanks very much, but i need a bit more help now, i need more halp with the aesthetics, particularly:

Materials (Bear in mind something as valuable as carbon fibre is not possible, especially due to the difficulty in working it)

Colour (Though i'll probably disregard that anyway, as i know what i want the final colour to be, but it will be interesting to hear any suggestions, you never know, you might change my mind)

Style? (sporty? heavy duty, etc etc...)

finish? (not colour in this one, more how to do the colour, depending on the materials used it could be done by having a rubber casing like on a screwdriver, though i don't see that as much of a possibility, or ink rather than paint, or something?

and anything else you can think of, please hurry guys, i really need to finish before then end of next week on this part if i can, thnks

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 09:11:36 PM »
As to finnish I don't know if it is still available but you used to be able to get a plastic/rubber compound that melted on the stove and you could dip tool handles into it to coat them I used it many years ago but can't remember the name

Offline gillybert

• still alive, up to the neck !!!
    • Gillybert,s Youtube Channel
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 09:16:21 PM »
Not sure if this is right, but its a dip coating for tool handles

PLASTI-DIP PROTECTIVE RUBBER COATING -YELLOW NEW

ebay item   200153705635

:)

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 09:16:53 PM »
I think the biggest factor for me would be the weight of them as I think the stilts are as heavy enough and wouldn't want to add much to that. You need a strong but light material.

Colour I wouldn't mind but something that looks nice and sleek would be cool

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 09:18:54 PM »
Not sure if this is right, but its a dip coating for tool handles

PLASTI-DIP PROTECTIVE RUBBER COATING -YELLOW NEW

ebay item   200153705635

:)

Slightly off topic but it says you can use it on fibreglass wonder if that would make a nice spring coating?

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2007, 09:19:58 PM »
Body armour with clips or straps for the stilts on the back would be super cool

I'd look like a fat version of Robocop  ;D