Author Topic: Heavier springs  (Read 4186 times)

Offline Trixter

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Leapfrog Expert
Heavier springs
« on: December 28, 2007, 04:34:48 AM »
Ok this is abit of a noob questions and im sorry and feel ashamed im having to ask it  :-[ but i occasionally think really rationally and then doubt it because iv thought about what iv thought about it that makes sense lol  ;D

If i buy a heavier set of springs im currently on the 70kg weight PJ's if i buy say a 90 set would i loose any height or would i gain height if i dont loose any obviously i wont bottom out but do higher springs mean ill bounce higher sorry for being a noob again lol

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
Re: Heavier springs
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 04:56:05 AM »
The springs would be stiffer and in theory you would gain height but you may find yourself getting tired quickly as you have to put in a lot more effort in.

I think the 10kg rule only applies to new bockers as once you get your technique going only you will be able to determine what you need, if you are fine on your 70's but feel that you could give it more then go for 80's... 90's maybe too much unless you are going really extreme.

Kiola goes a lot higher than his weight on Pro-Jumps as he feels his got strong leg muscles and that he finds the ones he should be on too soft.

Offline Trixter

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Leapfrog Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 05:05:00 AM »
well i cld go outside now and bottom out every bounce on my 70's  i wont dnt think ppl would be happy with me i know i need heavier springs im just not sure how high to go

Dark Knight

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 11:37:43 AM »
If you replace your 70's with 90's your incressing the power by about 25%, this mean the amount of power you need will raise by that too.
You may gain a little in height if you can put more power into them but you'll also need more power to make them bend anyway and you'll work harder.
If you botton out a lot that's the time you should swop springs or if your planning to do a lot of flipping as bigger spring can take the impact better.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 06:39:56 PM »
Hi Trixster
I've just replaced my 120's with new 120's because I was bottoming out all the time and now I can't bottom them out even if I really go for it

Now I'm not that good yet but as I had had my first set for 9 months and was using them regularly (I'm about 105-110 kg fully clothed so I am approx 10kg under the max weight when I started bottoming my old ones out I thought great I've got the technique but the truth is they were wearing out

I am getting a lot more height out of the new ones but they still fell a little stiff (been on them almost every day for 2-3 weeks about 1hr a day of mixed bocking heavy on the walking)

So my advice would be if you know some one who has a fairly new set of the one above yours or even a set the same weight as yours beg a go on them before you decide as you may find it's just your springs wearing out (if you've had them a while/bocked a lot)

On the other hand once you've worn a bigger set in and got used to them they should last longer because you arn't stressing them as much

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 07:28:37 PM »
jASON  ARE YOUR KNEW SPRINGS CARBON  OR GLASS? oops soz 4 shouting If so that could have somat to do with it maybe?  They seem to have a 'stiffer style'

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 07:39:42 PM »
Jason's are fibreglass... the carbons only go upto 110kg  ;)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 09:09:15 PM »
Yep Naz is right fibreglass Q and they feel just like the old ones did when they were new but now I've got a bit more confidence I can push them a bit harder and frighten myself more  ;D

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 09:18:45 PM »
K  ta  thats cool, just wanted it str8. Well I gotta say ( and I know you teak about with cuffies hoofies etc so do spend money), except for the few bits of pain you have had . You prove this is a pretty darn affordable sport.

Lets say you really needed new springs 2 months ago ( for sake of arguement). Cost of P-Js £135  pads £25 (?) plus lets say £20 in tyre sox/hoofies.  How many hours out bouncing? For a basic cost of well south of £200 ( excluding any travelling expences or if 1 uses them a gym)  I suspect we are talking some thing in the region of 50p an hour!

OOPs so trixster for hijaking the thread a lil.

Offline chocl8

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for Backflip?
    • EA Bockers - It's in the Springs!
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 12:52:07 AM »
Hey Trix, have a go on Hilly's they are 90's, or berties are 80's, both fairly new, so you could compare which ones you feel best with? i'm going with a pair of raptor springs methinks, seeing as i'm smack in the middle of their weight boundarys  :)

Dark Knight

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 02:15:24 AM »
Hey Trix, have a go on Hilly's they are 90's, or berties are 80's, both fairly new, so you could compare which ones you feel best with? i'm going with a pair of raptor springs methinks, seeing as i'm smack in the middle of their weight boundarys  :)
T-rex are 70-90 !?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 02:17:09 AM by Dark Knight »

Offline GRS

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 07:06:56 PM »
I think the same applies for the raptors or t-rex springs, you need to go up esp on your second pairs. I know some guys who brought 7's as a second pair started bottoming out really fast and thought they should have gone up to the next band.

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 07:12:02 PM »
I know Rich (Athoul) started bottoming his out fast so you may want to ask him what he thinks. Q may be able to help to as he has 7's

Offline chocl8

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for Backflip?
    • EA Bockers - It's in the Springs!
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 12:15:25 PM »
ooo, so if i was thinking of raptors, should i now go for T rex's? I'm 60kg, but like Trixter bottoming out every jump pretty much, on M70's as well, although having gone on Hillys 90's and Doc D's 80's the 80's seemed better, but i couldn't get much out of the 90's, then how does that really translate on 7's if their weight boundarys aren't screwed up? hmmmm.... :), also i couldn't get much out of Carls PR7090's, though they are seriously new...i think.

Offline carlgreen

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for backFLEEP!
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 02:28:14 PM »
yeh they were really new then and they still are now just need to break them in but i havnt been out on them much