Author Topic: EA Norwich Meet  (Read 71627 times)

Offline stiggy

• WWAAAAYYY
Re: EA Norwich Meet
« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2008, 08:09:47 PM »
i was thinkin of bocking to my station then stil on me stilts on the train .
but actually thats probs a better idea, i'll probs do that. If i go, cos i gotta go to italy the nest day  :thumbs:

Offline Sx Nutta

• Elite Member
  • No Brains Required
« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2008, 10:53:33 PM »
stiggy, you miss the bus meet, lol I am getting a bus at Peterbourgh to get to Norwich, halves my travel costs dramatically!!  :banana:

Fire is good!
But Fire is better when you are spinning or breathing it!
Burn Scars are for life!
Chicks dig dudes with cool burn scars!

Offline hybrid_hex

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • + + - - REDO FROM START - - + +
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »
You cant wear you bocks in the train station, the coppers come and tell you that its unsafe due to the overhead power cables.

Offline magzzie

• A little taste of the Bocker within
« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2008, 01:22:27 AM »
hi waiting to get told i can go to the norwich meet. Where is everyone meeting?

Offline Sx Nutta

• Elite Member
  • No Brains Required
« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2008, 03:03:06 AM »
All trains into norwich, do not use overhead power cables, as they are all diesel powered!!

Fire is good!
Burn Scars are for life!

Offline hybrid_hex

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2008, 10:46:29 AM »
The verhead cables are still there, trust me, I was told that due to my height (above the orange line painted on the trains) that It was unsafe as the power might arc across and earth itself through me to the floor. I toldthe guy that im an engineer, and he was talking bo*****s, to which he said, im only telling you what we are told, so I took them off.  :police:

Dark Knight

« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2008, 11:03:34 AM »
The verhead cables are still there, trust me, I was told that due to my height (above the orange line painted on the trains) that It was unsafe as the power might arc across and earth itself through me to the floor. I toldthe guy that im an engineer, and he was talking bo*****s, to which he said, im only telling you what we are told, so I took them off.  :police:
How can it arc bocks have rubber feet  :-\

Offline hybrid_hex

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2008, 11:06:12 AM »
And Ihad trainers on the bottom, but I didnt have the timeto try and explain to the retard how electricity works, so I just left. It took less effort to leave  :Straddle5:

Dark Knight

« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2008, 11:18:41 AM »
You should have educated him !?
Other wise they'll never learn !

Offline hybrid_hex

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2008, 11:23:50 AM »
Would you listen to somebody half your age, trying to tell you about something that you presume you know everything about?

Dark Knight

« Reply #110 on: February 13, 2008, 11:48:33 AM »
Would you listen to somebody half your age, trying to tell you about something that you presume you know everything about?
Point taken .... Show me them I'll deal with him ! LOL  :Dark_Knight:

Offline Sx Nutta

• Elite Member
  • No Brains Required
« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2008, 12:04:26 PM »
Only way you will fry yourself, if you touch the lines, or are just soaking wet, lol

Fire is good!
Burn Scars are for life!

Offline Gixer

• EA Bocker
    • Imperial Sandtrooper TD-2441
« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2008, 11:28:33 PM »
I hope my right heel is gonna be OK in 10 days' time, I wore a massive hole in it with my bock to the UEA on Sunday, I may have to band-aid it and pad it up to the hilt or I'll be crippled again on 23rd!  Note to self:  Lace trainers tighter next time  :-[ :-[ :-\ :-\
Rachel Smith - www.tk2441.co.uk

Offline Trip

• EA Bocker
« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2008, 01:08:43 AM »
Gixer.. Ya poor thing, the best way to make ya bocks feel comfortable is to get some pads with the knee and shin protection and some pin head straps.. I'm sure Naz will post the link cause she sells the pads. Wair some trainers that are comfortable n worn in, maybe think about some snowboard bindings for your pro jumps.. You'll be OK for ya run.. When i'm next with SH i'll show ya but this weekend i've gotta work to earn a livin, boring... i know but be patient n da trip master will show ya the way... The force is strong in you . LOL
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 01:48:45 AM by Trip »

Offline Sx Nutta

• Elite Member
  • No Brains Required
« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2008, 03:07:22 AM »
Gixer, you will be ok, just need to take it easy for a couple of days, and find some foot ware that agrees with you

Fire is good!
Burn Scars are for life!

Offline hybrid_hex

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2008, 07:02:44 PM »
You better not back out now!!  :Straddle5:

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2008, 09:55:58 PM »
Sorry to disagree with you all but I worked on the Rail for a couple of years and we were sent on training and safety courses

When you stand on the platform right on the edge and reach up to the overhead line a tall man can get no closer to the cables than 6ft

On a damp day the charge in the cables can jump up to 3 ft ( throught the damp air very much like lightening)

So any extra height is a no no on the platform as it can bring you within the danger zone (on bocks waving a rucksack or similar at the cables will get you killed)

Rubber feet or trainers would do you no good at all as the charge would just track round the sides like it does on a car HT system

Now some of you may say what sort of idiot would stand on bocks and wave at a high voltage cable

The safety officer that gave us the talk once had to rugby tackle an engineer (5 years at college and several degrees) as she tried to measure how high the overhead was with a metal tape measure to see if a JCB would clear it

Why a rugby tackle you may ask he was hoping to save her life without killing himself and if she conected as he hit her his only chance was to be traveling fast enough to knock her clear and not plug himself in

And one last fact if you grab hold of or touch the over head with a metal object it takes 0.2 of a second for your body to reach the temperature that will take a fire hose to put you out ( the fire engine type that takes 2 men to hold ) any one for Bar B Q ribs  :haha:

Jason  :Hoofies2:

Offline Sx Nutta

• Elite Member
  • No Brains Required
« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2008, 10:32:09 PM »
More of the fact that the 200,000 Volts will fry the body out from the inside, so you stand no change of surviving touching the overhead rail lines

Fire is good!
Burn Scars are for life!

Offline magzzie

• A little taste of the Bocker within
« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2008, 02:56:16 AM »
sx is there amps in the line my mate a a tazer that is a million volts 200 000 volts wont kill you but you will get a nasty shock

Offline Trixter

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Leapfrog Expert
« Reply #119 on: February 15, 2008, 03:47:08 AM »
im pretty sure either way if you get hit by 200000 volts you will feel it lol,

cant wait for the meet just to remind choc i will have you tee there with me and will have the others i still have, with exception of rave dave whos will be posted out on tuesday to him i have 5 more to give out i cant remember who asked for what as i left the paper i wrote down all the orders on at carmas lol, so could you please PM me sayin what colour and size you asked for

( i have bumped the tee sizes up by one for all of them as i was told you wanted them baggy, when i tryed on a medium for me it felt like a small so bumped them all up but tell me what size you normally wear not what the increased size would be ill get confussed)

cant wait to see you all again and a few new people spud gixer n charlie b good to put a face to your weird names ( not charlie lol)

Offline Sx Nutta

• Elite Member
  • No Brains Required
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2008, 04:13:20 PM »
I can't wait to meet some of the new peeps too, I am still hoping to be there, depends on how metal my 7 day project is, get it the day before the meet, damn uni!!  :banghead:

Fire is good!
Burn Scars are for life!

Dark Knight

« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2008, 06:30:22 PM »
Sorry to disagree with you all but I worked on the Rail for a couple of years and we were sent on training and safety courses

When you stand on the platform right on the edge and reach up to the overhead line a tall man can get no closer to the cables than 6ft

On a damp day the charge in the cables can jump up to 3 ft ( throught the damp air very much like lightening)

So any extra height is a no no on the platform as it can bring you within the danger zone (on bocks waving a rucksack or similar at the cables will get you killed)

Rubber feet or trainers would do you no good at all as the charge would just track round the sides like it does on a car HT system

Now some of you may say what sort of idiot would stand on bocks and wave at a high voltage cable

The safety officer that gave us the talk once had to rugby tackle an engineer (5 years at college and several degrees) as she tried to measure how high the overhead was with a metal tape measure to see if a JCB would clear it

Why a rugby tackle you may ask he was hoping to save her life without killing himself and if she conected as he hit her his only chance was to be traveling fast enough to knock her clear and not plug himself in

And one last fact if you grab hold of or touch the over head with a metal object it takes 0.2 of a second for your body to reach the temperature that will take a fire hose to put you out ( the fire engine type that takes 2 men to hold ) any one for Bar B Q ribs  :haha:

Well my brother worked all his life for the electic board spent more than five year for his dergress and diplomas and was the head officers . So I picked up the odd fact too !?
Electirc ALWAYS travels along the path of least resistance ( greater to lowwer ).
The body is made of mostly water which conduct better the an a metal cable but rubber as a much higher resistance than metal !
If a man in dry rubber boot touch a cable with his hand he offers no where for the electric to go so the shock would be much less than a man holding it in two ( the body would conduct the electric ).
Has for heating up  :-\ Sound good but the times my brother seen dead birds in the over head wire, most looked like a road kill than a roast dinner !?
"only chance was to be traveling fast enough to knock her clear and not plug himself in" What is he Superman ( faster than a bullet ) !? Thunder is electric traveling faster than sound !?

After saying that you should repeact their safety guide lines  :thumbs:
Even if some sound stupid ?

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2008, 09:29:38 PM »
Read the student note for temprature and what the levels of voltage in the over head cables do to a human body

http://www.educationconnections.co.uk/images/P00203pylonsafety.pdf

The blood curdling sounds good  :biggrin:

The pylon voltages are higher than the over head but they have been known to jump several meters so 3ft is a little jump

And answer me a question if the voltage is high enough to jump 3ft what use is 2" of rubber on the bottom of you feet gonna do (path of least resistance is around  :biggrin:)

I have worked with 230/240 volt all my life and been electicuted about a dozen times (smarts a bit but gets the heart running fast  :haha:) I sometimes work with 3 phase (415 volts across all phases and have a healthy respect for it (if I got pluged into it I would'nt be here now)

I knew someone who got it wrong with 3 phase (knew being the word) and have heard of a couple of people surviving but when you start talking about 20,000 volts you are in a different league I saw the results at the training course and I wouldn't want to see it for real

Rubber boots of mats will save you from low voltage/high ampage but high voltage is a different beast and can track round the outside
And most people that work on the rail wear rubber shoes or wellys and the result is that they melt when you plug the owner in  :biggrin:

Only way to survive is to wear a faraday cage basicly a metal suit that covers all of you this diverts the current around you so you don't die and I wouldn't fancy trying it sounds Bl**dy dangerous to me  :haha:

The bird on the lines die of old age or being shot they arn't tall enough to electicute themseves as you need to cotact both the line and ground (you can hang from a high voltage cable fairly safely if you are far enough away from any form of grounding but getting down would be hard  :haha:)

And the best way to remove someone from a live wire is to push them off with a non conductive pole (dry wooden broom) but if your in a rush and don't have a pole you can barge them off but you have to be moving fast and be either brave or stupid take you pick :biggrin:

And you might want to edit the last bit DK "Thunder" is the sound that Lightning makes as it travels through the air so it travels at the speed of sound whereas lightning travels a tad faster about 186000 miles per sec I think

Dark Knight

« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2008, 10:37:15 PM »
And answer me a question if the voltage is high enough to jump 3ft what use is 2" of rubber on the bottom of you feet gonna do (path of least resistance is around
Air has very good resistance, better THAN rubber   ;D

And you might want to edit the last bit DK "Thunder" is the sound that Lightning makes as it travels through the air so it travels at the speed of sound whereas lightning travels a tad faster about 186000 miles per sec I think

I think you've just pointed out that pushing someone ISN'T going to stop you getting zapped too ( use a rubber mat/glove or a PJ's rubber hoof is better )  :nana:  :biggrin:

Did you know ! The chances of you getting hit by lightening are 1 in 14 million (about the same as winning the national lottery) :o

Oh you play with that 240 stuff !? I've played with the 450 stuff myself  ;D 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 10:38:46 PM by Dark Knight »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2008, 11:52:05 PM »
I've played with 3 phase many times for heavy machinery

I also own a few toys that use much higher voltage (part way through building a jacobs ladder)

plasma globes are fun as well (amazing what you can use old telly bits for) 3 of them at the last count

Get yourself a book called The Gageteers Goldmine (its almost suicidal if you follow the instructions)  :biggrin: